PDA

View Full Version : Self Checkout Lanes

pokerdirty
11-27-2005, 08:25 PM
I frequently use these at the grocery store, because 1. I don't buy that much [censored] when i go to the grocery, and 2. It's fast and I don't have to wait in line (usually).

I don't find them particularly hard to use. You use the touch screen, you scan your item, you put it in the bag. Easy.

I find though, when i do have to wait for the next available lane, people take FOREVER to do this, and can't figure out how the machine works. If you are too stupid to figure out how to scan an item and put it in a bag, please, go play in traffic.

Does anyone else find this frustrating? Or am I the only one who uses these things so I don't get stuck behind the old jew at the grocery?

11-27-2005, 08:28 PM
The old jew??? is that some kind of new cereal?

But yes, I can use them super quick, others suck, and I have to wait forever while they stare blankly at the screen, and the [censored] attendent has to come over 12 times to help them. Another good thing about these things, you can scan your own coupons...and if you learn about barcodes and such, its easy to get a bottle of whiskey for 1.00$

Mason Hellmuth
[ QUOTE ]
Or am I the only one who uses these things so I don't get stuck behind the old jew at the grocery?

[/ QUOTE ]
It sounds like that happens anyway. <font color="white">Does this make me racist too?</font>

Macdaddy Warsaw
I've only seen them at the Stop &amp; Shop near my school (in Amherst) and I rarely if ever see anybody else using them. I use them when I have a couple of items and no, they're not hard to use.

I guess people in Amherst have figured out that they don't know how to use them so they won't try.

Mason Hellmuth
11-27-2005, 08:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and if you learn about barcodes and such, its easy to get a bottle of whiskey for 1.00$

[/ QUOTE ]
Explain how...

MarkL444
11-27-2005, 08:30 PM
i few years ago when i worked at home depot i would run these sometimes. people were so stupid they didnt see where the bills came out, and would often forget it. that was cool.

i try to not use them. i used to when they were newer, but now i see that they are actually slower. unless there is a line at a real register and an available self checkout, i just use the real register.

pokerdirty
11-27-2005, 08:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The old jew??? is that some kind of new cereal?

[/ QUOTE ]

you've obviously never seen american splendor

11-27-2005, 08:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and if you learn about barcodes and such, its easy to get a bottle of whiskey for 1.00$

[/ QUOTE ]
Explain how...

[/ QUOTE ]

You find an item, that has a coupon. A lot of times jack daniels will put a 1.00$-5$ off coupon on a bottle, for your next purchase. You get barcode creation software (easy to find), you alter the numbers at teh bottom of the barcode ...ie

230482 003 9080011

the 003 is the amount of the coupon, in this case 3$, you then alter that to say, 015 (15$), and then you print them up. You can really only do this at the self checkouts becasue its suspicious otherwise.

Homer
11-27-2005, 08:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Explain how...

[/ QUOTE ]

You find an item, that has a coupon. A lot of times jack daniels will put a 1.00$-5$ off coupon on a bottle, for your next purchase. You get barcode creation software (easy to find), you alter the numbers at teh bottom of the barcode ...ie

230482 003 9080011

the 003 is the amount of the coupon, in this case 3$, you then alter that to say, 015 (15$), and then you print them up. You can really only do this at the self checkouts becasue its suspicious otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not just put it in your pocket and bypass the self checkout line? It's free that way.

11-27-2005, 08:41 PM
I guess because you cant fit a grocery cart full of [censored] in your pants. Ive only done this once, to see if it worked though, it did. It is fairly easy to get "caught" because the attendents watch the purchases (sometimes).

pokerdirty
11-27-2005, 08:41 PM
it feels more legal this way

Mason Hellmuth
11-27-2005, 08:43 PM
Can you do this for batting cage tokens?

MelK
11-27-2005, 08:43 PM
Why counterfeit coupons when you can just counterfeit the currency?

11-27-2005, 08:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The cloth is hard to come by, and since adobe has [censored] with teh color combos, its tougher now. Also, they have come out with invisible markigns if you print the "color of money" in adobe (using the crack to bypass the security protection), with the date.

Alobar
11-27-2005, 08:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

cuz legally youll get in way less trouble for petty theft, than you will for counterfieting. I used to have a badass printer and scanner, and I could print out money the coke machine at my apartment complex would read as real. To bad I dont drink coke tho /images/graemlins/frown.gif

I hate the self checkout cuz its slower than the normal lines most of the time, and also cuz im lazy. I just use it when I want to do [censored] like buy a 6pack but I dont want all one kind of beer, self checkout theres no there to see I put a bunch of different beers in there.

Sponger15SB
11-27-2005, 08:58 PM
I pity the people that have to work this line. Easily the worst job in the store. People are so [censored] dumb, but sometimes it [censored] up and then you have to sit there explaining to the worker how you're not an idiot.

Sometimes though if you buy stuff like alcohol or produce or a bunch of things that are really light or large in size, it becomes a pain in the ass.

Alobar
11-27-2005, 09:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
, but sometimes it [censored] up and then you have to sit there explaining to the worker how you're not an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha, whatever moran.

Sponger15SB
11-27-2005, 09:10 PM
Hey, hey, I may be ugly and hate-filled, but I, um... what was the third thing you said?

JonPKibble
11-27-2005, 09:49 PM
Alobar---

At my grocery they have a whole fridge full of random beers that you can "pick a six".

Otherwise, neat idea.