PDA

View Full Version : Seinfeld

daveymck
11-27-2005, 07:51 PM
As a lot of people here said this was the best series ever I added it to my screenselect queue, got the first 5 episodes of the first series and to be honest am waiting for somthing funny to begin.

I noticed in episode 5 as he does his stand up routine there is a woman front and centre not laughing at all while in the background people are cracking up. I felt like that woman.

So is it that it has aged badly or am I starting with the wrong season?

BadBoyBenny
11-27-2005, 07:53 PM
I don't remember the the first season. You may want to try the third or fourth and go from there.

Some people don't find him that funny. That could also be the case.

UncleSalty
11-27-2005, 07:54 PM
The first season is like the first season of The Simpsons - characters aren't really developed and it really isn't that good yet. You probably still need to watch a few episodes to get to know the background, but I'd go to season two or three at this point if I were you.

Warik
11-27-2005, 07:55 PM
Seinfeld = teh suck.

*ducks*

JaBlue
11-27-2005, 07:56 PM
first season there is a lot of long, awkward dialogue and the acting is very very bad.

tdarko
11-27-2005, 07:58 PM
season 2 has "the pony remark" episode, great stuff...one of my favorites.

JaBlue
11-27-2005, 08:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

his father was a mudder... his mudder was a mudder

mike l.
11-27-2005, 08:08 PM
first seasons are almost never very good. you need to get into the third or fourth season until a show is really rolling

RacersEdge
11-27-2005, 08:10 PM
Season 1 and 2 is very different. All the characters except Jerry are change a lot by season 3.

11-27-2005, 08:20 PM
Season 1 is funny. But season 2 onward is waaaay funnier.

istewart
11-27-2005, 08:23 PM
If you don't think it's funny, posting here and forcing us to hurl insults at you for having zero sense of humor isn't going to change anything.

That said, although I find nearly every episode awesome, the first couple seasons aren't the nonstop laugh riots of the later ones.

Yeti
11-27-2005, 08:23 PM
From what I've seen so far it is highly overrated. I watched the documentary on the S1 disc and was so excited, but it falls short. I am a big CYE and Larry David fan.

It truly baffles me how people think this is better than Frasier. Just, wow.

esknights
11-27-2005, 08:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

his father was a mudder... his mudder was a mudder

[/ QUOTE ]

You know that isn't the same episode.

istewart
11-27-2005, 08:25 PM
Frasier? ROFLMAO!

Yeti
11-27-2005, 08:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Frasier? ROFLMAO!

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point, well made.

MarkL444
11-27-2005, 08:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Frasier? ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

evil_twin
11-27-2005, 08:51 PM
If you find it even mildly amusing I suggest sticking with it. Series one was OK, with some funny moments, but at that stage it was certainly not an obvious classic. I think they were very much trying to find their feet in series one.

Once things hit their stride in season two it's great, and it goes on to become one of the funniest things ever in later series. As has already been said, I suppose there is always the chance it's just not your sort of thing though.

evil_twin
11-27-2005, 08:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It truly baffles me how people think this is better than Frasier. Just, wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a huge fan of Frasier but trying to compare Frasier with Seinfeld is like trying to compare Cheers with Curb... they're both good but in entirely different ways.

MonkeeMan
11-27-2005, 10:31 PM
Things get funnier once Jerry gets rid of the Mac.

tonypaladino
11-27-2005, 11:22 PM
Get seasion 3 next. "The parking garage" was the first episode I ever saw when it first aired and I was hooked. Also from that season "Very Very Bad Man" and "THESE PRETZELS ARE MAKING ME THIRSTY"

daveymck
11-28-2005, 06:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you don't think it's funny, posting here and forcing us to hurl insults at you for having zero sense of humor isn't going to change anything.

That said, although I find nearly every episode awesome, the first couple seasons aren't the nonstop laugh riots of the later ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont mind having a zero sense of humour where american "comedies" are concerned, I didnt find any of Frasier funny although I did find some Friends episodes mildly amusing and Simpsons and South Park are very good.

I'll add season 3 to my queue and see how it goes.

housenuts
11-28-2005, 07:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Get seasion 3 next. "The parking garage" was the first episode I ever saw when it first aired and I was hooked.

[/ QUOTE ]

that parking garage episode is horrible. you probably like that chinese restaurant one too eh? all one scene, i can't stand those ones.

as for season 1, it's not the best. i saw some seinfeld reunion classic or something...i forget what it was called. but basically the directors/actors said the turning point of the series was the episode when kramer hit the golf ball into the ocean, and george "the marine biologist" had to save that whale. i can't remember the details of the episode exactly, but they said the idea just came to them, and it first it seemed so ridiculous, but they realized messed up intertwining of stories like this was hilarious so they ran with it.

back to the parking garage episode. apparently kramer's car was supposed to start when they were leaving...but it really didn't work. they thought it was funnier that way, so they just left it like that. apparently this is when they realized the show was going to be "something special"

11-28-2005, 07:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]

that parking garage episode is horrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Punker
11-28-2005, 10:29 AM
That was the key to the series for me (in the later years). It was incredible how they could fit multiple extremely diverse storylines into a half hour show, AND somehow have them all end up coming together at the end.

Lazymeatball
11-28-2005, 11:08 AM
I always found the quality of the humor in Seinfeld was directly related to the quality of Elaine's hair. At the very begginning it was all frizzy and curly and frumpy. Then it moves towards a decent wet perm, and finally she straightens it and starts to get attractive, and the show gets funnier on an unrelated note.

My advice to the OP, the first couple seasons have a few moments but really drag. But if you can stick with it until season 3 or 4 and get into it, you have some 5 or 6 more seasons of awesome work that you will really enjoy.

Slappz
11-28-2005, 03:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I always found the quality of the humor in Seinfeld was directly related to the quality of Elaine's hair. At the very begginning it was all frizzy and curly and frumpy. Then it moves towards a decent wet perm, and finally she straightens it and starts to get attractive, and the show gets funnier on an unrelated note.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reverse Peephole?

samjjones
11-28-2005, 03:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

My advice to the OP, the first couple seasons have a few moments but really drag. But if you can stick with it until season 3 or 4 and get into it, you have some 5 or 6 more seasons of awesome work that you will really enjoy.

[/ QUOTE ]
Interesting view. I did not find "straight hair" Elaine particularly attractive.

splashpot
11-28-2005, 03:39 PM
George makes the show. The show would be nothing without George, and to a lesser extent, Kramer. Newman has some golden moments too.

There are so many awesome shows. Of the top of my head, the marble rye, the frogger arcade game, the soup nazi, the one where George tries to get fired, the marine biologist, the one where that fried chicken joint opens across the street, the one where Kramer and Newman play Risk, and the list goes on and on.

istewart
11-28-2005, 03:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Interesting view. I did not find "straight hair" Elaine particularly attractive.

[/ QUOTE ]

She was always quite hot IMO.

CrazyEyez
11-28-2005, 03:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
http://xenafan.com/seinfeld/elaine88.jpg

TheGame1020
11-28-2005, 03:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh sweet lord.

samjjones
11-28-2005, 03:46 PM
http://treyjackson.typepad.com/junction/images/georgethetimelessartofseductionb10005308.jpg

CrazyEyez
11-28-2005, 03:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
http://treyjackson.typepad.com/junction/images/georgethetimelessartofseductionb10005308.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Well played.

evil_twin
11-28-2005, 03:57 PM
http://www.seinfeld-fan.net/pictures/kramer/kramer027.jpg

samjjones
11-28-2005, 04:00 PM
http://www.seinfeld-fan.net/pictures/cards/card_newman_f.gif

splashpot
11-28-2005, 04:01 PM
http://img.tfd.com/wiki/5/5a/Kramer6.jpg

Black Aces 518
11-28-2005, 04:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's good stuff. TY.

YourFoxyGrandma
11-28-2005, 04:25 PM
Seinfeld was a pretty unpopular show until season 3 or 4, as I recall. The early episodes don't do the show justice.

Jules22
11-28-2005, 04:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's good stuff. TY.

[/ QUOTE ]

ELAINE IS A HOTTY!!! that chick drives me nuts

SenecaJim
11-28-2005, 04:46 PM
" My rods and cones are all screwed up, Jerry!"

11-28-2005, 06:54 PM
Elaine has always been attractive, but its varied how much so sometimes

ChipWrecked
11-28-2005, 07:00 PM
Lots of British people don't like Seinfeld because they're anti-Semites.

I'm kidding. Check out season 3.

KingDan
11-28-2005, 07:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Lots of British people don't like Seinfeld because they're anti-dentites

[/ QUOTE ]

my first FYP

ChipWrecked
11-28-2005, 07:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Lots of British people don't like Seinfeld because they're anti-dentites

[/ QUOTE ]

my first FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

nh, knew one of you would catch that.

dibbs
11-28-2005, 07:18 PM
Being a massive fan, the first season is awful.

4_2_it
11-28-2005, 08:14 PM
Any episode with Jackie Chiles is a keeper.

LoaferGee12
11-28-2005, 08:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And I thought I was the only one to make this observation. I use that and the baldness of George to determine whether I should keep watching.

4_2_it
11-28-2005, 08:41 PM
SERENITY NOW!

istewart
11-28-2005, 08:42 PM
Lupus? Was it lupus?

ChipWrecked
11-29-2005, 01:38 AM
And you want to be my latex salesman......

fluorescenthippo
11-29-2005, 01:42 AM
season 3 is usually the best for most sitcoms

CrazyEyez
11-29-2005, 01:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed.
But something's goin' on, because every able-bodied Israelite in the county is driving pretty strong to the hoop.

11-29-2005, 01:56 AM
my favorite episode was when George recruited Jerry to help him steal an answering machine tape from his girlfriend because he left a bunch of psycho messages.

When he picked up that monkey knick knack and pretended like he was checking it out, I LMAO.

ChipWrecked
11-29-2005, 01:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed.
But something's goin' on, because every able-bodied Israelite in the county is driving pretty strong to the hoop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Always thought the funniest part of the shiksa-peal episode was the fact that Julia herself is Jewish.

Sightless
11-29-2005, 01:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
SERENITY NOW!

[/ QUOTE ]

Insanity Later

CrazyEyez
11-29-2005, 02:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Always thought the funniest part of the shiksa-peal episode was the fact that Julia herself is Jewish.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ah, hello? Benes - I thought she was hispanic. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

tonypaladino
11-29-2005, 02:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
SERENITY NOW!

[/ QUOTE ]

Insanity Later

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

ripdog
11-29-2005, 02:57 AM
Seinfeld rules. The Bubble Boy episode kills me. "Who's the blonde? How 'bout you take your shirt off?" Gold.

ChipWrecked
11-29-2005, 02:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Ah, hello? Benes - I thought she was hispanic. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

....and you're not black?

WTF, let's go to the Gap. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Matt Williams
11-29-2005, 02:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Seinfeld rules. The Bubble Boy episode kills me. "Who's the blonde? How 'bout you take your shirt off?" Gold.

[/ QUOTE ]

The best part of that episode is when the father is telling the story about how the bubble boy came to be. It's very emotional and he and Elaine start to cry. Elaine gets some napkins and gives them to the father and Jerry. While Elaine and the father are wiping their eyes, Jerry is eating a sandwich and wipes his mouth. Awesome!

Sightless
11-29-2005, 02:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
SERENITY NOW!

[/ QUOTE ]

Insanity Later

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

?

4_2_it
11-29-2005, 02:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
SERENITY NOW!

[/ QUOTE ]

Insanity Later

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

?

[/ QUOTE ]

You guys need to watch more TV.

cdxx
11-29-2005, 02:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"no, nothing happens!"
"then, why am i watching it?"
"because it's on tv!"
"not yet."

istewart
11-29-2005, 04:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
SERENITY NOW!

[/ QUOTE ]

Insanity Later

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You wanna sell some computers? I will show YOUUUUU how to sell computers!!

ChipWrecked
11-29-2005, 09:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
SERENITY NOW!

[/ QUOTE ]

Insanity Later

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hello, Mr. Vandlay?......

CrazyEyez
11-29-2005, 09:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
SERENITY NOW!

[/ QUOTE ]

Insanity Later

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hello, Mr. Vandlay?......

[/ QUOTE ]
YOU'RE NOT GIVING AWAY THE WATERPIC!!!!!