PDA

View Full Version : My Inspiron 9300 beeps and I don't like it

juggernaut
11-27-2005, 07:08 PM
New Dell Inspiron 9300 laptop. Runs fine but four or five times a day during normal operation it lets out a 2-second high-pitched beep, and it's coming from the bottom of the computer, i.e. not through the speakers.

The first few times it happened I was playing poker in bed without any type of laptop stand, so I thought it might be lack of ventilation. So I bought a stand that props it up and gives the vents an inch of breathing room, but the beep still happens. Anyone else have anything like this?

11-28-2005, 01:39 AM
Does it just happen after you've been using it a long time? Did you check to make sure the fans are running? Often computers do beep when they begin to overheat.

Have you noticed that it only happens when using certain applications? I've noticed that Royal Vegas Poker tends to beep sometimes.

juggernaut
11-28-2005, 03:11 AM
It seems to happen at random times, and not specific to any applications. Concerning the fans....I can feel air coming out of the vents so I'm assuming they're working. Do I have control over those fans/vents? Have to look into that...

cwsiggy
11-28-2005, 12:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do I have control over those fans/vents? Have to look into that...

[/ QUOTE ]

Try downloading the program called "speedfan"

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

- it controls the speed of your fans and tells you the temperature of various zones in the computer (it is motherboard dependant so it may not work, though with a 9300 it should) give it a try.

Also, why not call Dell and ask them what that sound is??

VegasVixen
11-28-2005, 02:09 PM
I've played on a 9300 for about 6 months, multi-tabling, multiple sites + running PTracker and NEVER heard a sound. I can't even hear my fan when it runs. I'd call DELL. They offer very good support.

juggernaut
11-28-2005, 05:37 PM
Nice....thanks for the link.