PDA

View Full Version : Las Vegas Trip report

skp
07-03-2003, 08:10 PM
I just got back from 5 days in Sin city and as always, I had a helluva good time. Say, does anyone know of a law firm in Vegas that needs an attorney specializing in Canadian personal injury litigation?..heh...

I could move to Vegas and just love it.

My buddy, John and I stayed at the Flamingo. Nice enough hotel. Great location.

The 15-30 action at Bellagio was generally quite good. Assuming that the action when I was there was representative of the types of games that one generally can find at the Bellagio, I reckon that the game is quite beatable for at least 1 big bet an hour. I didn't play particularly well (or long) for the first few sessions and was also generally card dead. I was about even for the trip until the last night when I hit a rush, coincidentally played much better, and cashed out a $1100 winner for the trip (32 hours of play). Nothing spectacular but beats a kick in the ass.

John and I met up with Clarkmeister and his girlfriend for dinner at the steakhouse in the Venetian on Saturday night. I think it's called Delmonico's or something. Clark said that this would be one of the top 5 dinners that I will have ever had and he was right. The food there ws simply fantastic. Great company too. Thanks, Clarky.

I thought I was supposed to have dinner with Vince Lepore and friends on Sunday night but he was AWOL when I showed up at the Bellagio. Oh well, maybe next time. To be fair to Vince, our plans were not set in stone; they were of the "we'll maybe go for a bite on sunday" variety.

The Light nightclub is located right next to the Bellagio cardroom. The babes that hang around outside that joint must distract a winning poker player to the tune of 5 or 10 bucks an hour. Like I said, any use for a Canadian ambulance chaser in Vegas? Pretty please?

No real interesting hands to report. One kinda odd one though. I have 77 in the bb. 3 way action. Flop is K97 with two clubs. This was on Monday night which was my last night of the trip and this was the first set I had hit on the trip. The fish in MP calls my flop and turn bets. On the river, I check and make a crying - and frankly horrible - call. We chop the pot. What were the turn and river cards? What was his hand?

....Bah...that's too easy....

Played with Cissy Bottoms for a while on Sunday night. Very pleasant woman to play with. She was chatting it up, joking around and did not at all play the part of the Vegas card shark (which she really is). Unfortunately, that's not what one can say about most Vegas locals. Most of these guys are just not very nice. Also, it's unbelievable how they constantly berate fish after a bad beat. When it comes to thinking about long term gain, some of these pros are clueless.

Also, dealer abuse. Though on that score, they are not nearly as bad as the Commerce players. Last August, I saw a Commerce player spit at a dealer (for putting out a bad river card) and he got a 20 minute penalty...heh...ya, that should fix him...

Miised out on meeting up with Pokerbabe. Sorry Babe, hopefully next time.

From a distance, the 30-60 games looked pretty good on most nights. But the thought of having a couple of losing sessions in 30-60 yankee doodle money and then spending weeks to make up the loss in my hometown 10-20 canuck money game just ain't too appealing to me. Besides, something that looks nice from far can often be far from nice.
Pass.

Bellagio friday night buffet. $35. Quite nice. But what's with the ultra cheap comp of 15 bucks and that too, just one a week. Must drive the locals crazy.

It was tournament time at the Bellagio. All the big tourney names were there including Hellmuth, Cloutier, Juanda etc. For cash games, they were also spreading a 300-600 mixed game for the likes of Eskimo Clark et al. Anyway, the cardroom was extremely busy all week.

Flamingo pool: B+

Flamingo Fitness room/spa: Another B+

To the WPDG:

One regret was that my trip was from Thursday to Tuesday and therefore I was unable to attend at the WPDG meeting. My thanks to Howard for the informative and entertaining WPDG meeting minutes that he sends out regularly.

Well, that's all...see you guys back at the medium stakes Forum.

mike l.
07-04-2003, 12:05 AM
"Last August, I saw a Commerce player spit at a dealer (for putting out a bad river card) and he got a 20 minute penalty"

it wasnt cause of the river card, it was cause he just found out what happens when you try to cream a lentil.

looking forward to meeting you someday, let me know when youll be in LA next.

bigfishead
07-05-2003, 05:16 PM
Only the locals get comps every day. Part of the "las Vegas customer satisfaction" teachings.

As for the spitter? I would be in cuffs and lose my job and have no qualms about it.

As for the "locals" berating bad players....it's that disease goin around there..."Entitlement Disease" Once it catches on it spreads like wildfire. Where does it come from? ....Management. Management allows it to grow the business. Tru story. See if you let'em do that then the rest of the a-holes will come n play that have been 86'd from everywhere. After all, the tourist will only be here once. Ever. Cuz he had such a great time. No need to do it again. How could you top it?

Ahh but go to a location that doesnt allow that...wow every damn table filled with a list. On TUESDAY!

Mark Heide
07-05-2003, 09:04 PM
skp,

Sounds like you had a good trip. I've stayed at the Flamingo on my last two trips and would stay there again. It's conveniently located within walking distance of either the Mirage or Bellagio. I didn't see Vince or the PokerBabe either on my last trip.

You said,"We chop the pot. What were the turn and river cards? What was his hand?"

The river was either two nines or two kings. Your opponent had a seven along with probably an ace.

Good Luck

Mark

dj_jazzyjeff
07-05-2003, 09:52 PM
Just read the post, obviously it had to be KK, or K7. The other guy might've been playin J7o? Let me know how close I am.

skp
07-07-2003, 12:31 AM
Yup...turn and river were Kings...I checked, he bet. If I had any brains, I probably would have foldeed as this guy was incapable of bluffing. So, if he had a hand, it's most likely a 9 instead of a 7. But I called. He showed J7.

On the other hand, he could have easily overvalued a hand like 66 and bet it for value i.e., he might think "hm...full house...gotta bet". so, perhaps my call wasn't all that bad.

HDPM
07-07-2003, 12:50 AM
wouldja believe I turned down a job offer in las vegas after law school? /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Bar exam is once a year in nevada. In july. No reciprocity of any kind w/ other states. I dunno if you can take an american bar exam w/ canadian degree etc.... I think most states require accredited us law school to sit for exam. California might not. You could pass easily w/ a prep course. Then you would find something quickly. Lawyers are a dime a dozen in las vegas. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif But its hard to move once you get established.

Howard Burroughs
07-08-2003, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the nice words. Always enjoy reading your trip reports.

Sorry about the grumpy local at Bellagio. Some people are just born mean :-0

Anyway, what's up with the Flamingo pool only getting a B+ on the skp swimming pool meter?

The last time I was at the Flamingo pool, the place was like a mini water park (waterfalls, lazy river, lagoon, etc.). What's a pool gotta do to get an A, have the Dixie Chicks serve free poolside cocktails to you? :-)

Best of Luck

Howard

ACBob
07-09-2003, 10:28 AM
skp,

Thanks for the report. I was at the Bellagio two weeks ago for five days. Similar results and observations as yours.

I must eat at Delmonicos at the Venetian is it is that good.

Bob Lewis