PDA

View Full Version : mononucleosis

phil_ivey_fan
11-27-2005, 02:22 PM
My girlfriend just confirmed at the doctor's office that she has mono. She has felt bad for the past week. I am feeling fine and not showing any signs or symptoms.

Is there any chance that I could just be a carrier? I know that most likely my symptoms are just currently lying dormant and will prob start to show up in the next week or two...

This is bad timing as I am graduating in mid december and starting a job the very next week.

surfinillini
11-27-2005, 02:26 PM
I got it freshman year in school. I know who I got it from b/c we hooked up the night before Christmas break. I was fine for an entire month, first week back at school it hit me like a ton of [censored] bricks.

Be prepared, my doc said incubation period around a month before it hits you, prepared for not so good times.

Alobar
11-27-2005, 02:45 PM
mono sucks ass

also, you can have it for a while and not have symptoms

Evan
11-27-2005, 02:48 PM
My gf got mono when i was in high school. I never got any symptoms. At a doctor's appointment a year later (I think to get a shot I needed for college, not cause i was sick) they did some blood tests and I found out I "had" mono and was now immune. I never felt sick for a single day.

HopeydaFish
11-27-2005, 02:57 PM
You should do some reading up on mono. I had it in high school and it sucked ass. However IIRC, there is some debate about how contagious it is, and how it is transmitted. There seems to be some correlation to people developing it after a long period of not getting enough sleep and working themselves too hard.

smb394
11-27-2005, 03:24 PM
I developed the symptoms a week after sophomore year of college, after having finals and interning for a week. I was out of commission for a week, thankfully nothing more. Do not plan on being able to do anything for at least a week if you feel horrible for a day or two, b/c it does take some time to get out of the system.

IIRC, 1 month from contact to displaying symptoms seems applicable in my case.

Just make sure that you aren't overworking yourself now that you know that you're at a much higher risk.

phil_ivey_fan
11-27-2005, 03:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You should do some reading up on mono. I had it in high school and it sucked ass. However IIRC, there is some debate about how contagious it is, and how it is transmitted. There seems to be some correlation to people developing it after a long period of not getting enough sleep and working themselves too hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is what I was looking to hear... thx.

HopeydaFish
11-27-2005, 03:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is what I was looking to hear... thx.

[/ QUOTE ]

np...when I contracted mono, it was after a few weeks of not getting enough sleep and partying too much (I had just turned 18, which is the drinking age here). My girlfriend didn't contract it, and we'd been "swapping fluids" right up to the day where I was diagnosed with it.

Other than a feeling of being worn down, the biggest tell-tale sign is that your neck glands will swell up big-time, and you'll get a really bad sore throat that won't go away for days.

surfinillini
11-27-2005, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the biggest tell-tale sign is that your neck glands will swell up big-time, and you'll get a really bad sore throat that won't go away for days.

[/ QUOTE ]

My throat hurt so [censored] bad they had to prescribe me codene and vicodin just so I could take down fluids.

It was probably the worst week of my life.

RunDownHouse
11-27-2005, 03:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is there any chance that I could just be a carrier?

[/ QUOTE ]
I am called "the carrier monkey" thanks to my girlfriend and her friends. In high school, two girlfrineds in a row came down with mono, hard. I felt fine, but within a couple weeks of dating, they were out. I am almost never sick, so when I came down with something bad enough to keep me from school for two days, I went to the doc. I had mono, but it wasn't bad enough to really keep me away from normal activities aside from the first couple days.

In college, the first three girls I dated all came down with mono a couple weeks after we started seeing each other. Other than that short time in high school, I've never felt sick in the least.

Let me know if you think you're a carrier, because then I can blame any sickness on my girlfriend's propensity to cheat, call her a whore, and break up with her.

Enjoy!

Voltron87
11-27-2005, 03:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is definitely consistent with a fairly large sample of anecdotal evidence i saw during high school.

uw_madtown
11-27-2005, 04:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My throat hurt so [censored] bad they had to prescribe me codene and vicodin just so I could take down fluids.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was put on prednisone, an adrenocortical steroid. I also waited about a week after feeling sick before seeing a doctor. First one I saw put me on antibiotics in case of strep. A day later I felt more exhausted than I've ever felt and the test came back negative. This was over 4th of July weekend so I drove back home. That night my dad had to drive me to the doctor because I couldn't swallow fluids at all and pretty much wanted to die. About two days later I felt fine. Thank you, steroids!

Blarg
11-27-2005, 11:51 PM
I had it in junior high school, 8th grade, and it virtually wiped out the year for me. I had a rare variant that was much worse than usual mono, and was home for six months from school, most of which quite honestly was spent asleep except for a few hours at a time. I was skinny as hell to start and eventually got absurdly skinny. Finally the doc sent me back to school just because it seemed I wasn't recovering, so he didn't really know what to do. I slept through the couple months of school I attended almost entirely, slept on the bus there, and on the bus on the way home. The bus dropped me off three blocks from my house and I had to stop to rest multiple times on the way back. When I got home, I had just enough energy to take off my shirt and shoes, but not my pants, and just fell flat on my face after onto my bad and instantly feel asleep for hours.

My lymph glands in my neck at first swelled up so bad that the nurse and everyone in school, on the first day of school that year, looked at me with amazement and concern. By that evening I was having a biopsy done, and soon after they told my parents I had cancer and 30 days to live. Turns out they were wrong.

But anyway, it sucked pretty damn bad. Basically took a year of life away from me, turning me into an exhausted zombie for that whole time.

Would have been nice to have been a carrier instead! I guess somebody must have been, because I never heard of anyone in my school or neighborhood, or anywhere else, ever having mono besides me.

youtalkfunny
11-28-2005, 01:18 AM
I was down for a week. Swallowing felt like a steel door being slammed.

On the bright side, I slept for a week, and lost 40 pounds in bed.

eviljeff
11-28-2005, 01:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My gf got mono when i was in high school. I never got any symptoms. At a doctor's appointment a year later (I think to get a shot I needed for college, not cause i was sick) they did some blood tests and I found out I "had" mono and was now immune. I never felt sick for a single day.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://tinylittlesparks.com/journal/images/unbreakable.jpg

go to where people are

Namdrahsirhc
11-28-2005, 01:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the biggest tell-tale sign is that your neck glands will swell up big-time, and you'll get a really bad sore throat that won't go away for days.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto, probably the most pain Ive ever had was a mono sore throat

Evan
11-28-2005, 01:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

go to where people are

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't get it.

phil_ivey_fan
11-28-2005, 01:23 PM
I like the quick reply...its about time....

well I hope I'm not a carrier. I'm probably going to go get the test the minute I start to feel bad. Anyone think its a bad idea to continue "swapping fluids" w/ the gf while she's sick and I'm fine? I figure I'm already screwed so why stop now...

mmbt0ne
11-28-2005, 02:12 PM
I, for one, would like to thank you for braving your mono by coming to class today. If I get sick, it's all on you.

And I see absolutely no reason to stop doing what you do with your gf.

TheBlueMonster
11-28-2005, 02:18 PM
same thing sorta happened to me a few yrs ago. Though my lady friend was rather sick, I didn't show any symptoms. I just like to think that my immune system rocks.

MrMon
11-28-2005, 06:39 PM
Somehow, I managed to get it twice. Rare, but it happens. Sucked both times, worse the first time. I compare it to feeling like you weigh two tons and have been run over by a truck.

eviljeff
11-28-2005, 07:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

go to where people are

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't get it.

[/ QUOTE ]

damnit, my pic got killed. anyway, this was a quote from Unbreakable. to avoid possibly spoiling, further explanation in white:

<font color="white"> Bruce Willis is the sole survivor of a horrible train wreck. after this he realizes that he's never been sick a day in his life. Samuel L. Jackson aids him in discovering his immunity from sickness and harm. when they realize he is superhuman, Bruce Willis asks "what now?", and SLJ replies...</font>