PDA

View Full Version : Can my hand be good?

Bama Boy
07-03-2003, 07:05 PM
I find an open seat in a .50/1.00 game at Stars and wait for the BB to come to me (2 hands). I get barrel crud for my blind and button. In the few hands I have seen, I think the table is loose passive, with a guy I've seen raise each hand with any 2. I don't know anything else about the players at the table.

I get Ad 8h in the CO, folded to MP raise any two (MPAT), 2 callers to me, I cold call (mistake?), Button Calls, SB calls BB folds. 6 to the flop for 13 SB's.

Flop comes 8d 4d Jd

SB checks, MPAT bets, 1 limper calls, I raise, button calls, SB folds, MPAT calls, limper folds.

I raised to try gauge where I am in the hand, holding the potential nut flush in my hand, I know I can put some pressure on someone if needed. (Comments?)

3 to the turn for 20 SB's

Turn is Th

MPAT Checks, I bet with nut flush draw and at least a pair on the board, Button and MPAT call.

3 to the river for 20SB and 3BB

River is the 8c

MPAT checks, I bet, Button calls, and MPAT folds.

How did I play this hand?

bernie
07-03-2003, 07:17 PM
if youre going to play this preflop, id reraise.

other than that, you played it fine...

b

Ed Miller
07-03-2003, 08:38 PM
You played great except for your preflop call. If you can 3-bet the maniac and isolate him (i.e. no callers between you and the nutcase) then you can 3-bet with this hand. Otherwise, it's a mucker.

Michael Davis
07-04-2003, 02:23 AM
Your qualifying 'if' was too soft. You can't call this hand with the two callers in between. A8o is junk and can only be played here, as others have said, if you can isolate the raiser.

I'm not sure I would describe a game with a roboraiser as loose passive. In a loose passive game, you can see the flop with all kinds of hands. You can't see the flop without a very good hand in the game you describe.

-Mike

lil'
07-04-2003, 09:00 AM
Your pre-flop call is really bad, which is funny, because you played the rest of the hand well. A-8o is bad news in a multiway raised pot. What were you hoping to flop, 8-8-2?

Seems like everyone else at the table was making the same mistake by calling the maniac instead of trying to isolate him.

After the flop you played well. Glad you won a nice pot against a kook.

Bama Boy
07-04-2003, 11:53 AM
Button shows JJ and MPAT mucks.

I have no excuse for limping, not really sure what I was wanting out of that hand. Guess I was being timid. Good point about what flop was I wanting to see.

I actually started jotting notes about this hand while I was playing it, since I was just wanting to post some hands for feedback. Turned out it was semi-interesting.

If you had been the button and had JJ, how would you have played this hand against me?

Clarkmeister
07-04-2003, 12:53 PM
Cmon Bernie, you are taking "it depends" way to far. With 2 cold callers it doesn't depend. Its not worth 3-betting, its not worth calling, its worth folding. It doesn't depend.

I understand you aren't advocating 3-betting here but you are tacitly implying that its a situationally OK play if the poster chooses to do so. But its not.

Ed Miller
07-04-2003, 02:34 PM
I have no excuse for limping, not really sure what I was wanting out of that hand. Guess I was being timid.

You weren't being timid.. you were being loose. Calling vs. raising isn't the issue... it's calling vs. folding.

If you had been the button and had JJ, how would you have played this hand against me?

I would have raised you on all four streets.

bernie
07-04-2003, 03:29 PM
i dont believe i said i would play this hand here. but what i was saying was IF one is going to play it, raise with it.

this is an easy fold preflop

b

bernie
07-04-2003, 03:35 PM
it was more sarcasm i think. i think we both know i wouldnt be in that hand. but if one was going to play it, i think a raise is better than a call.

but this is also a way to blow chips. but if youre going to call this hand in this spot anyways, that's about the only tactical way to really play it. give it some value by maybe buying the button or gettting a free flop check.

again, youre right, i wouldnt play this hand here. not even for deceptive purposes.

b