PDA

View Full Version : Recommend some Jazz

CD56
11-27-2005, 01:38 PM
I recently got two Miles Davis CDs, Kind of Blue and Water Babies, I really like both of them and would welcome any advice on other Jazz albums that I should check out. I'm thinking about some Dave Brubeck or Herbie Hancock albums, thoughts on where to start would be appreciated.

JonPKibble
11-27-2005, 01:39 PM
Pat Metheny Group

The Rippingtons

fluxrad
11-27-2005, 01:59 PM
Anything by John Coltrane. I would recommend Giant Steps. Also, TS Monk is excellent, albeit a bit harder to listen to if you're just getting into jazz.

emil3000
11-27-2005, 02:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Anything by John Coltrane. I would recommend Giant Steps. Also, TS Monk is excellent, albeit a bit harder to listen to if you're just getting into jazz.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't say anything by Coltrane to someone who's just getting into jazz. Chances are that he won't realize the greatness of Meditations or The Olatunji Concert at first. Then he might give up on Coltrane altogether. When getting into Coltrane, it is probably not a good idea to start with anything recorded after A Love Supreme. A Love Supreme is easily one of the five best jazz albums ever, and fairly accesible, but I probably wouldn't recommend it to someone who's not into jazz already. Giant Steps is a good start, as is My Favorite Things, Blue Train, or Coltranes sound. "Coltrane" on the Impulse label is v good. Crescent is an excellent mellow album which still features his later style.

11-27-2005, 02:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't say anything by Coltrane to someone who's just getting into jazz. Chances are that he won't realize the greatness of Meditations or The Olatunji Concert at first. Then he might give up on Coltrane altogether. When getting into Coltrane, it is probably not a good idea to start with anything recorded after A Love Supreme. A Love Supreme is easily one of the five best jazz albums ever, and fairly accesible, but I probably wouldn't recommend it to someone who's not into jazz already. Giant Steps is a good start, as is My Favorite Things, Blue Train, or Coltranes sound. "Coltrane" on the Impulse label is v good. Crescent is an excellent mellow album which still features his later style.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Therefore, I suggest he listen to the album Free Jazz by Ornette Coleman, and then taper down to Trane.

emil3000
11-27-2005, 02:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Therefore, I suggest he listen to the album Free Jazz by Ornette Coleman, and then taper down to Trane.

[/ QUOTE ]
Or "The Shape of Jazz To Come" (Ornette Coleman). That's awesome, Lonely Woman is so beutiful.

brettbrettr
11-27-2005, 02:48 PM
Miles: Tribute to Jack Johnson and On the Corner. Both later Miles, both funky as hell

For Herbie and Brubeck, their respective masterpieces, I guess, are Head Hunters and Time Out. I haven't listened much to the second, but Head Hunters is really [censored] great.

brettbrettr
11-27-2005, 02:55 PM
Oh, I'd also highly recommend Miles autobiography.Its heavy on the phrase "white honkey mutherfvcker," which is funny. Other parts of it like "I looked so good I forgot my horn" are also very funny.

edtost
11-27-2005, 03:04 PM
Clifford Brown

cwsiggy
11-27-2005, 03:11 PM
anything from this page...

http://www.bluenote.com/rvg_promo.asp

Cannonball Adderly - Somethin' Else - this is such a classic - almost as good as Kind of Blue - make sure you get the RVG remastered edition.

Lee Morgan - The Rumproller

Dexter Gordon - Our Man in Paris

Horace Silver - Blowin the Blues Away

Art Blakey - Moanin'

Noo Yawk
11-27-2005, 05:09 PM
Miles Davis and Sonny Stitt-Live in Stockholm 1960

The Earl Klugh Trio

Anything Wes Montgomery did on the riverside label

11-27-2005, 05:27 PM
Definitely check out Dave Brubeck - Time Further Out. Unsquare Dance is a fantastic track. Also I'd recommend checking out Chick Corea, my favorite album is Light as a Feather.

JaBlue
11-27-2005, 05:41 PM
Pat Metheny group is not for someone just getting into jazz.

A lot of Coltrane isn't either, but here are some albums that are appropriate: Blue Train, Coltrane Jazz, Giant Steps

As far as trumpet goes, Miles Davis, Clifford Brown, and Wynton Marsalis are all great.

Duke Ellington's Mood Indigo is great. A different sound than the Coltrane and Miles Davis, but definitely good.

Charles Mingus's Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus (or Mingus 5x) is fantastic and an album that I think everybody should own. If I were you and I were to buy only one album I would get this one.

Good luck. Jazz is great.

balkii
11-27-2005, 06:10 PM
stan getz/charlie byrd 'jazz samba' is real nice.
i'd also recommend oscar peterson trio - 'night train' is a fantastic album.

i'd also say avoid coltrane (for now). i've been listening to and playing jazz for years and i still cant digest most of his stuff.

CD56
11-27-2005, 06:50 PM
I'm gonna start with:

Hancock-Head Hunters
Brubeck-Time Out
Coltrane-Giant Steps

and see how that goes, many thanks for the replies.

emil3000
11-27-2005, 07:13 PM
Great albums sort of similar to Kind of Blue by Miles Davis: Sketches of Spain, ESP.

Sketches of Spain is just beautiful throughout, it isn't exactly jazz, but genres suck anyway. ESP is a bit more edgy, but still has the sort of the same harmonic approach as Kind of Blue. Also features Herbie Hancock and his rhythm section in many of his recordings. Tony Williams, best drummer ever maybe, Ron Carter, best bassist ever maybe, Wayne Shorter, legendary saxophonist.

UncleSalty
11-27-2005, 07:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm gonna start with:

Hancock-Head Hunters
Brubeck-Time Out
Coltrane-Giant Steps

and see how that goes, many thanks for the replies.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you like the funk/jazz fusion aspect of Headhunters, I would defnitely recommend Manchild too. Herbie is the man.

PokerFink
11-27-2005, 08:42 PM
If you like Miles Davis, check out the album Amandla. I think I spelled that right. It's very upbeat and fun.

MarkL444
11-27-2005, 08:44 PM
i dont know much about jazz but ive been listening to dave brubeck a lot lately

edtost
11-27-2005, 09:06 PM
horace silver - song for my father

KDawgCometh
11-27-2005, 09:51 PM
well, it all depends on what kind of jazz you are interested in. I was a performance major my frosh and soph years of college. Kind of Blue is a great start. More Miles recomendations along the lines of that group are

Miles- 58 Stella By starlight sessions
Miles Ahead
Someday My Prince will come
ESP
Live at the Plugged NIckel
Miles Smiles

Herbie Hancock- Maiden Voyage
Emperyn Isles
The Prisoner

Art Blakey- Moanin
any of the albums with wayne shorter on them

Stan Getz- Focus
Serenity
People Time
Sweet Rain

Bill Evans- Waltz for Debbie
Live at the village vanguard

Sonny ROllins- saxophone collosus
Tenor Madness
Sound of Sonny
Freedom Suite

Freddie Hubbard- Reddie for Freddie
Red Clay

I can think of more later, but this should get you started

garion888
11-27-2005, 11:25 PM
I'm gonna have to kick in for Charlie Parker. Recently a recording was found which had CP and Dizzy Gillespie which is astounding. Look for it. It will give you a feel for the old style of bebop and the form of most jazz music.

KDawgCometh
11-27-2005, 11:45 PM
I was thinking about bird too, but really didn't know where to start the OP off. Some Good ones are Bird&Diz, the Toronto Concert(it has Mingus, max roach, and bud powell, its really good)