PDA

View Full Version : How much do you trust your reads?

4_2_it
11-27-2005, 10:03 AM
Villain is 55/0/1 (River aggression is a 2). My player notes after 125 hands are: Limps AK and checks on river with strong hands(twice, once with the nuts).

Knowing this, do you call, raise or fold the river?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (4 handed) internettexasholdem.com (http://www.internettexasholdem.com)

UTG ($121)
Button ($160.65)
SB ($175.95)
Hero ($366.95)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: ($4) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $4</font>, Hero calls $4.

Turn: ($12) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($12) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $10</font>, Hero ??????

Hattifnatt
11-27-2005, 10:06 AM
Insta-fold.

soah
11-27-2005, 10:59 AM
Fold the flop.

11-27-2005, 11:08 AM
You're only beating a bluff, unless I'm missing something.

4_2_it
11-27-2005, 11:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Fold the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really, even though it's 4-handed?

Hattifnatt
11-27-2005, 11:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Fold the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you should raise (and fold to a 3-bet) or fold.

soah
11-27-2005, 11:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Fold the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How is that at all relevent?

4_2_it
11-27-2005, 11:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Fold the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How is that at all relevent?

[/ QUOTE ]

More along the line of no pre-flop raise. 4-handed, raising standards are lower for most. Why did he limp? He likes to slowplay big hands so the fact that he started betting caught my attention.

He bets a K, Q or any pp here. I probably should have raised, but he instafolds anything I beat and I felt that I was ahead on the flop and wanted to keep the pot small.

Skuzzy
11-27-2005, 01:03 PM
My read is your beat, fold. Don't bluff a guy this weak and stupid. Your read suggests he plays scared and likes to try for a C/R on the river, it doesn't say whether he folds a hand on the river he's bet near to the pot on. He bet the flop, checked the Ace and now bets again on the river when the Q hits. He plays weakly yet bet with a high pair on board and an ace out , so I don't think he's playing with you. If he's tried to C/R this table twice on the end and missed maybe he's just given up on that plan.

Oh, I'm still a pansy though /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Note: (what difference does a 7 kicker make if it doesn't play here?)

rikz
11-27-2005, 01:51 PM
If he has a king, then he's probably got a higher kicker. If he has a queen, then he's obviously winning. He's certainly representing a queen by checking the turn and betting when the board pairs. An Ace obviously is beating you. Then there are better hands. So, you only beat a bluff. There is nothing in your read about him river bluffing on scary boards, so I'd fold on the river.

4_2_it
11-27-2005, 03:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My read is your beat, fold. Don't bluff a guy this weak and stupid. Your read suggests he plays scared and likes to try for a C/R on the river, it doesn't say whether he folds a hand on the river he's bet near to the pot on. He bet the flop, checked the Ace and now bets again on the river when the Q hits. He plays weakly yet bet with a high pair on board and an ace out , so I don't think he's playing with you. If he's tried to C/R this table twice on the end and missed maybe he's just given up on that plan.

[/ QUOTE ]

He did not go for a check raise previously. He checked-behind top pair on non-straight, non-flush board.

Results: Since my kicker did not matter, i figured I was splitting the pot and called. He flipped over 55. Looking back, I know I played it wrong, but in the moment I was certain he had a weak hand.

Thanks for the replies.

11-27-2005, 04:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He did not go for a check raise previously. He checked-behind top pair on non-straight, non-flush board.

Results: Since my kicker did not matter, i figured I was splitting the pot and called. He flipped over 55. Looking back, I know I played it wrong, but in the moment I was certain he had a weak hand.

Thanks for the replies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling a pot size bet praying to split is a terrible play. Don't do it.

DoomSlice
11-27-2005, 05:03 PM
I bet half-pot on the turn to discourage a river bluff that I probably shouldn't be calling unless an A hits.

DoomSlice
11-27-2005, 05:05 PM
Not in a million years. What besides the fact that he bet makes you think that you're behind? If I'm in SB I'm betting any hand tht made a pair on this flop and I'm sure you would too.

soah
11-27-2005, 06:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not in a million years. What besides the fact that he bet makes you think that you're behind? If I'm in SB I'm betting any hand tht made a pair on this flop and I'm sure you would too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither your stats nor my stats are 55/0/1.

ajmargarine
11-27-2005, 08:07 PM
Bet $9 on the turn when he checks.

DoomSlice
11-27-2005, 11:23 PM
This is a blind battle with a loose SB who is completing just about everything. Top pair regardless of kicker is way ahead of SB's range. The 1 aggression factor is actually very large, considering he plays so many hands.

soah
11-28-2005, 06:26 AM
For some reason I had thought there was a limper in there somewhere. Folding the flop HU is of course horrible.

scrapperdog
11-28-2005, 06:35 AM
I agree bet turn by checking you are giving him a pass to bluff you out on river. Of course you snapped it off but still it was a very tough position to be in.

4_2_it
11-28-2005, 09:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree bet turn by checking you are giving him a pass to bluff you out on river. Of course you snapped it off but still it was a very tough position to be in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, that was precisely what I wanted him to do. Remember he has checked with monsters (one time checked behind) so if he has a monster he is highly unlikely to bet. He is tricky and wants me to hang myself. If I bet he folds. I was 80% sure I had him beat, so the only way I'm making any money here is by being passive.

The reason I posted this (other than to brag /images/graemlins/grin.gif) is that sometimes (very infrequently for me) when you have a strong read you can play a hand perfectly even if it means being totally unconventional and against your normal standards/table image.