PDA

View Full Version : [censored] thieves, what is my move now?

11-27-2005, 09:02 AM
Go out to my car. Driver window smashed. iPod hookup for radio and iPod stolen. Nothing else [censored] with. Window 100% [censored]. Wtf do I do now?

aggie
11-27-2005, 09:03 AM
get a new window

MarkL444
11-27-2005, 09:05 AM
cmon man...you should have put that [censored] in your compartment between the seats when you leave your car.

whiskeytown
11-27-2005, 09:05 AM
Step 1. Call the Police and report a burglary - I think that can be 911 - I think that's just standard dispatch now.

Step 2. - find documentation - check with your car insurance company. I'm betting they'll cover the window but maybe not the Ipod or adapters...

Step 3 - Stop leaving your nicest [censored] in your car. I woulda seen that coming a mile away. If I had an Ipod out anywhere even in this nice neighborhood, I'd expect a busted window within a month and in less then a night downtown.

RB

11-27-2005, 09:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Step 1. Call the Police and report a burglary - I think that can be 911 - I think that's just standard dispatch now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this step even worthwhile?

[ QUOTE ]
Step 2. - find documentation - check with your car insurance company. I'm betting they'll cover the window but maybe not the Ipod or adapters...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty screwed here if I bought just the minimum like cover the other guys car in a crash insurance right?

[ QUOTE ]
Step 3 - Stop leaving your nicest [censored] in your car. I woulda seen that coming a mile away. If I had an Ipod out anywhere even in this nice neighborhood, I'd expect a busted window within a month and in less then a night downtown.

RB

[/ QUOTE ]

It isn't my nicest [censored], just [censored] annoying. Replacing the window is going to cost me like twice what the iPod is worth. It's like blowing up a building to get the pen that is chained to the desk. Major inconvenience.

MarkL444
11-27-2005, 09:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty screwed here if I bought just the minimum like cover the other guys car in a crash insurance right?

[/ QUOTE ]

call and find out. i agree calling the cops might be a waste of time. but i have no experience with this.

whiskeytown
11-27-2005, 09:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this step even worthwhile?

[/ QUOTE ]

It may be necessary for the insurance company to do it's thing.

RB

mostsmooth
11-27-2005, 09:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
get a new window

[/ QUOTE ]
and a new ipod

mostsmooth
11-27-2005, 09:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Replacing the window is going to cost me like twice what the iPod is worth.

[/ QUOTE ]
i dont know how mechanically inclined you are, but a trip to the local salvage yard could save you some dough. get the used window and install yourself.

phil_ivey_fan
11-27-2005, 11:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They will most likely cover the window (happened to me windshield and two side windows...bill was $700 only paid $100 deductable). As for the ipod, you are f'd...the deductable for stolen [censored] is almost certainly going to be more than the ipod and adapter (if those are even covered)...you can look into homeowner's insurance (if this applies to you) but that deductible is usually pretty high as well.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

very true. takes 5 secs to put it in the compartment or under the seat.

TTChamp
11-27-2005, 12:25 PM
Do you have renters or home owner's insurance. Often stolen property is covered by these policies even if the stuff was stolen when it is not in your house. My buddy had his gym bag stolen while he was at the gym and he was able to get some money from his renters insurance.

11-27-2005, 12:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you have renters or home owner's insurance. Often stolen property is covered by these policies even if the stuff was stolen when it is not in your house. My buddy had his gym bag stolen while he was at the gym and he was able to get some money from his renters insurance.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true. If something that isnt normally in your car, get stolen out of your car, homeowners/renters insurance will take care of it. The only thing is, it will not cover anything that runs off of the electrical system of the car (ie CDs, car amps, etc). So, "technically" the ipod does, but just dont tell them that when you report that. If you want to commit fraud, you can tell them there were a set of golf clubs in there too, and that will cover the window repair.

Homer
11-27-2005, 12:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Go out to my car. Driver window smashed. iPod hookup for radio and iPod stolen. Nothing else [censored] with. Window 100% [censored]. Wtf do I do now?

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhh, call the police? Call the insurance company? Just a thought.

11-27-2005, 12:55 PM
I got my window busted open a couple years ago. The worst part was that they stole both pairs of my prescription glasses. WTF!? I called the police and the conversation went something like,

Cop: You can file a police report if you wish.
Me: Well, is there any particular reason to file or not?
C: I don’t know.
Me: Well, what happens if I file the report.
C: I can’t say.
Me: What do you mean you don’t know?
C: I don’t know the total nature of the crime.
Me: What? I told you, my window is smashed open and all my [censored] is gone!
C: So, would you like to file a report.

So you can call the cops if you want, but I doubt much will come of it. With my deductible it wasn’t even worth contacting the insurance company. No insurance company covers cd’s but ipods might be. I can’t remember but I think a new window was like 3 or 4 hundred. It only took 10-15 minutes to have it replaced and I remember watching and wondering if I could have done it myself. It would have been possible, but likely would have taken a lot of time and caused much annoyance. Unless you’re particularly car savvy I would just take it some where.

chesspain
11-27-2005, 01:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They will most likely cover the window (happened to me windshield and two side windows...bill was $700 only paid $100 deductable).

[/ QUOTE ]

This is only true if you have what is commonly called "Comprehensive Coverage," which covers damage to your vehicle not caused by either another vehicle or by you having a single vehicle accident (e.g. driving into a tree). The types of claims usally covered under Comprehensive include vandalism, debris hitting your car, etc.

It is usually worth carrying Comprehensive unless your car is worth under $2000.

Jeebus
11-27-2005, 01:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you can tell them there were a set of golf clubs in there too, and that will cover the window repair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought I was going to be the first person to bring this up. I don't know about golf clubs, but I'd probably say there wasw something to make it worthwhile.

plaster8
11-27-2005, 02:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you can tell them there were a set of golf clubs in there too, and that will cover the window repair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought I was going to be the first person to bring this up. I don't know about golf clubs, but I'd probably say there wasw something to make it worthwhile.

[/ QUOTE ]

When my car was broken into a few years ago, my agent told me that anything "attached" to the car -- i.e., stereo, speakers, etc., would be covered under my auto policy.

"Loose" things in the car, basically anything not installed, like the CDs that were stolen, were not covered by my auto policy. They might have been covered by my renters' policy, but the deductible was too high for me to make that move. So under your auto plan at least, the iPod may not be covered, and the golf-clubs idea wouldn't do much good.

But your plan could be different. I hope it is.

surfinillini
11-27-2005, 02:05 PM
In a situation like this there is only one thing to do.

rub one out /images/graemlins/grin.gif

JonPKibble
11-27-2005, 02:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Move out of the ghetto.
2. Don't leave your iPod in your car.

Barry_G
11-27-2005, 02:17 PM
Quote:

1. Don't leave [censored] in plain view if you want to keep it.
2. Leave the door unlocked. At least your window wouldn't be 100% [censored].

The Truth
11-27-2005, 04:34 PM
bend over?

blake

tonypaladino
11-27-2005, 06:51 PM
This is a stupid thread. What possilbe advice could we give you? It would take a smart 5 year old or possibly a monkey with average intelligence to figure out you need to call your insurance company. It's not like you know who stole it and want to figure out ways for revenge. Since the poker forums have a Bad Beats and Brags forum, I think OOT needs a Whining, Bitching, Complaining, and looking-for-sympathy-posts-disguised-as-[censored]-questions forum.

Voltron87
11-27-2005, 06:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is a stupid thread. What possilbe advice could we give you? It would take a smart 5 year old or possibly a monkey with average intelligence to figure out you need to call your insurance company. It's not like you know who stole it and want to figure out ways for revenge. Since the poker forums have a Bad Beats and Brags forum, I think OOT needs a Whining, Bitching, Complaining, and looking-for-sympathy-posts-disguised-as-[censored]-questions forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

how can you criticize someone for this after all of your stupid girlfriend threads

tonypaladino
11-27-2005, 07:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

how can you criticize someone for this after all of your stupid girlfriend threads

[/ QUOTE ]

what all 1 of them?

My post was a question asking for advice and different perspectives. How many different answers are there to "what do I do when my car is broken into". That could have easly been answered if the OP had called the police or his insurance company and asked.

11-27-2005, 07:07 PM
I must say your songs suck and i hurt me hand

stabn
11-27-2005, 07:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]