PDA

View Full Version : limping vs. raising with KQ, KJ, AT

11-27-2005, 09:01 AM
No specific hands here, but I've been routinely raising with these hands in late position, even with 3-4 limpers ahead of me. I've started playing .25/.5 at PR where the games at that limit are very passive preflop with no raisers and people with a high VP$IP. I've been thinking lately that I should just limp as well. If I raise, it's not chasing anyone out at that point since everyone will call the raise. If I hit on the flop, it's literally impossible to drive people out since the pot is so large.

Am I correct or should I continue to raise with suited AT,KJ,KQ to build equity in the pot? What are some other hands I should call with as opposed to raise against many opponents? I know some examples would help so I'll see what I can find in PT.

11-27-2005, 09:39 AM
You should absolutely continue to raise those hands pre-flop from late position with no raises in front. Yes, you are building the pot and your equity. These are hands that are often not playable in early position or when someone raises in front of you - so when you have them in LP you need to raise to make the most of your advantage while you have it.

11-27-2005, 11:53 AM
If you raise you give up postflop expectation trying to max out your preflop equity.
So it depends. If youre going to continue after the flop pretty much no mather what cards that falls then you should raise. With your weaker holdings you may want to call preflop to be able to fold later on.

nomadtla
11-27-2005, 02:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
should I continue to raise with suited AT,KJ,KQ

[/ QUOTE ]

Without a doubt raise if they are suited and you have limpers. However there are some offsuit hands that I will merely call with that I would open raise MP (like ATo, KTo, QTo, KJo, QJo)

cardcounter0
11-27-2005, 02:42 PM
Bad Advice - But it has been good for me - Flame Away.

I would certainly raise KQs in late position.
I would mix it up with KJs in late postion.
I would just limp with ATs.

But here is what I would do (after establishing a very very tight table image):

Raise these hands UTG. With a passive table you often fold the entire table around and it is you, the button, and the blinds. Often the SB folds also. These hands play much better against 3-4 players rather than a whole table of limpers catching all kinds of garbage and having odds to chase.
/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

checkmate36
11-27-2005, 03:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would open raise MP (like ATo, KTo, QTo, KJo, QJo)

[/ QUOTE ]

I find that hands like the QT and KT often get me into trouble and I will often ditch them after the flop when it doesn't hit me as hard as Id like. I wonder if Im wasting loot with the QT and KT hand from a spot like this.

11-27-2005, 03:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would just limp with ATs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wasn't there a thread recently (maybe not even recently) saying how bad this is? I seem to remember something about raising ATs UTG in passive low-limit games....

Oh and as KQs is the 10th best hand (assuming multiway conditions) I would pump it up all day long with that hand. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

cardcounter0
11-27-2005, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I seem to remember something about raising ATs UTG in passive low-limit games....

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know. Maybe you saw it in the very post you are replying too.
/images/graemlins/confused.gif

11-27-2005, 04:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No specific hands here, but I've been routinely raising with these hands in late position, even with 3-4 limpers ahead of me. I've started playing .25/.5 at PR where the games at that limit are very passive preflop with no raisers and people with a high VP$IP. I've been thinking lately that I should just limp as well. If I raise, it's not chasing anyone out at that point since everyone will call the raise. If I hit on the flop, it's literally impossible to drive people out since the pot is so large.

Am I correct or should I continue to raise with suited AT,KJ,KQ to build equity in the pot? What are some other hands I should call with as opposed to raise against many opponents? I know some examples would help so I'll see what I can find in PT.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't build equity, you push equity edges. For example if you have 20% pot equity and there's five caller a raise shows a profit. I'll make these kinds of plays if the situation is right.

My image has to be tight and solid and the table has to be willing to give me free cards postflop. Otherwise I'll just limp along.