PDA

View Full Version : Man, the Pogues were incredible

whiskeytown
11-27-2005, 05:00 AM
Listening to some Pogues right now -

Shane McGowan has really gone to hell the last couple years - it's painful to see from this side of the bar. A documentary I saw a few years ago he was barely coherant, and a total embarassment to everyone on the st. even in Ireland.

And his live stuff just hasn't done it lately for me...

But the band and the songs....man...

--------------

I've been loving you a long time
Down all the years, down all the days
And I've cried for all your troubles
Smiled at your funny little ways
We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell

I took shelter from a shower
And I stepped into your arms
On a rainy night in Soho
The wind was whistling all its charms
I sang you all my sorrows
You told me all your joys
Whatever happened to that old song
To all those little girls and boys

Now the song is nearly over
We may never find out what it means
But there's a light I hold before me
And you're the measure of my dreams
The measure of my dreams

Sometimes I wake up in the morning
The gingerlady by my bed
Covered in a cloak of silence
I hear you in my head
I'm not singing for the future
I'm not dreaming of the past
I'm not talking of the first time
I never think about the last

Now the song is nearly over
We may never find out what it means
Still there's a light I hold before me
You're the measure of my dreams
The measure of my dreams

-------------------------

If I ever win the WSOP, I won't be going back to defend the title the next year....I'll be over on the Island learning the music - I could see myself getting older and going from a Rock/Electric to the more Acoustic Irish sound....

but to do ethnic music, you really sort of need a bridge if you're not a local - so really, you need to go there to study it.

When I get MY 7.5 Million I deserve - /images/graemlins/grin.gif

RB

diebitter
11-27-2005, 05:33 AM
Fairytale of New York is my favourite Christmas song by a mile.

Paluka
11-27-2005, 10:39 AM
they really are damn good, I should listen to them more.

daveymck
11-27-2005, 07:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And is a song that is probably least representative of their stuff that you could hear.

One for Whiskey in a similar vein but not Irish but same folksy roots are the Levellers, Weapon Called the Word would be the first album to check out or the song 15 years.

rmarotti
11-27-2005, 08:17 PM
I don't know what to say to this post, but the pogues were [censored] awesome /images/graemlins/heart.gif the pogues

craig r
11-27-2005, 08:17 PM
Shane McGowan's solo stuff is really bad. I don't know why it seems to always work out like that for most solo acts. Like Stephen Malkmus' solo stuff is pretty bad also, but Pavement was pretty damn goood. I wonder if I would be indifferent to it or actually like it if I had never heard the original bands they were in. Like, maybe I have a pre-conceived notion of what I expect them to sound like and then just end up being disappointed.

Right now I am trying to think of any modern solo acts (90's until present) that is as good or better than the original band they were in that I really liked.

What I think is even worse is when a crappy band breaks up and the lead singer starts an even crappier solo career. Like the Matchbox 20 guy.

craig

whiskeytown
11-27-2005, 09:22 PM
old hat...

speaking of singers from sucky bands starting suckier solo careers, I see where Scott Stapp has a solo album coming out.

RB

NLSoldier
11-27-2005, 09:34 PM
Was anyone else hoping he was talking about those little circular cardboard "pog" things from back in the mid 90s?

InchoateHand
11-27-2005, 10:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Was anyone else hoping he was talking about those little circular cardboard "pog" things from back in the mid 90s?

[/ QUOTE ]

pogue mahone

Rushmore
11-27-2005, 10:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And is a song that is probably least representative of their stuff that you could hear.

One for Whiskey in a similar vein but not Irish but same folksy roots are the Levellers, Weapon Called the Word would be the first album to check out or the song 15 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

And try the Decemberists, while yer at it.

Not the same, and not as good, but certainly worth a listen.

Rushmore
11-27-2005, 10:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Shane McGowan has really gone to hell the last couple years - it's painful to see from this side of the bar. A documentary I saw a few years ago he was barely coherant, and a total embarassment to everyone on the st. even in Ireland.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cor. Ease off, mate.

Ok, maybe you have a point. The whiskey was doin the job all on its own, I can't see the point in adding heroin.

But no matter what you do or say, nobody can ever take away "A Pair of Brown Eyes" or "Dirty Old Town" or even "Sunny Side of the Street."

I miss the Pogues.

Barrett's Last Privateer
11-28-2005, 01:29 AM
As I result of this thread I've just listened to 'The Band Played Waltzing Matilda' about 10 times in a row and now feel like [censored].

No really, thanks very much.

11-28-2005, 03:52 AM
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b111/guffdaddy/pogs.jpg

NLSoldier
11-28-2005, 03:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b111/guffdaddy/pogs.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

nice!

Rushmore
11-28-2005, 01:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As I result of this thread I've just listened to 'The Band Played Waltzing Matilda' about 10 times in a row and now feel like [censored].

No really, thanks very much.

[/ QUOTE ]

"...to grieve, and to mourn...and to pity..."

Nice.