PDA

View Full Version : ethical girlfriend + sickness dilema (brother)

DcifrThs
11-26-2005, 10:11 PM
my brother has a g/f meredith.

she is currently sick and likely contagious.

if you are in a committed relationship (they are in love) are you expected to get sick with your partner, "for better or for worse" style?

my bro posed to me that question and i had a logical analytical answer for him the end of which relied on meredith's expectations of his actions. given i dont know her expectations other than she loves my brother and presumably doesn't necessarily want him to get sick, what actions are the "limits" of my brother's affectations towards her given HE doesn't want to get sick.

a kiss on the lips is almost a surefire way to contract the sickness. but what about a kiss on the forehead, or the cheek...or a hug? well if you give 1 hug, how many hugs do you give? eventually the sum of the hugs work out to the same likelihood of you getting sick from the kiss.

anyways, that last part was thoughts i presented to my bro.

but ethically, what would OOT's stance be on affectations toward a sick girlfriend given you OOTers dont want to get sick.

Barron

Arnfinn Madsen
11-26-2005, 10:12 PM
If it is not a veneral disease /images/graemlins/tongue.gif, you share it.

Alobar
11-26-2005, 10:14 PM
if shes so contagious you get sick from touching her, shes got some effed up [censored] and it wont be long before shes dead.

If im dating some whiney chick who gets all butt hurt cuz I wont kiss her when shes sick, then shes not the kinda chick I wanna date anyway, so its bye bye for her time.

you can still be compassionate and take care of someone you care about with out putting yourself at risk for getting sick. Are nurses in hospitals sick 24/7?

young nut
11-26-2005, 10:35 PM
I gotta say it cuz it just works so well...

SIIHP /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ulysses
11-26-2005, 10:46 PM
How did you write that whole post without saying what she had? Does she have mono? Ebola? Hantavirus?

And where was your Morimoto trip report?

scotty34
11-26-2005, 11:02 PM
HEELLLLLLLL NO!!!!

DcifrThs
11-26-2005, 11:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How did you write that whole post without saying what she had? Does she have mono? Ebola? Hantavirus?

And where was your Morimoto trip report?

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont know what she has...sore throat, general sickness thus "likely" contagious.

my morimoto's trip report has come accross 2 snags.

1) i was going to do a picture menu but i accidentally deleted 1/2 of my philly pictures via stupidity and lost it.

2) i had the waiter write out the dishes for omikase and have left that at roxy's place in philly. so i now have to get her on the phone and get her to read it off to me (or email it to me)...as a prelude el d, the meal was good.

Barron

Peter666
11-26-2005, 11:37 PM
Wow, I thought it would be a logical question like: can I dump my girlfriend or hump other women when she is sick?

I am seriously scared for the race called men if we have an ethical dilemma with the OP's scenario.

JonPKibble
11-26-2005, 11:42 PM
Anyone who demands you share their disease is probably the kind of person that will always drag you down with them when something goes wrong. RUN LIKE HELL!!!

M2d
11-27-2005, 03:23 AM
when my wife is sick i choose to sleep on the couch. no sense in both of us catching whatever is going around.

11-27-2005, 11:46 AM
If he gets sick, then they'll both be miserable and keep getting each other sick. If she expects him to be all lovey-dovey with a girl hacking up snot, he should just tell her that he doesn't want to get sick and spread it to other people or give it back to her. Of course he should take care of her, buy her Nyquil and orange juice or whatever...but he should try not to get sick as much as possible. Kinda funny, I'm sick right now.

ScottieK

vexvelour
11-27-2005, 11:51 AM
You didn't really specify if the disease will cause certain death after a period of time. I would think they should make the decision together by talking it over. Is she on her last legs? I would think that if she was on her way out, she would want to spare him and let him continue on with his life. If she's not dying, it would be a difficult situation but if they're so committed then they should be able to come up with a functional way of living. Man, this is hard, I don't know.

nothumb
11-27-2005, 12:27 PM
This is stupid. If she's showing a lot of symptoms and is getting medical care she has most likely passed the point where she is very contagious anyway. Usually it's when you're about to come down with something that you're most likely to spread it.

I don't take any special precautions and I almost never get sick. I don't wash my hands or take vitamins or any of that [censored]. I'm sleeping in my own damn bed and I'm not scared of any damn germs. If he doesn't want to, fine, but making an issue out of it for either of them is retarded. If he's so scared of getting sick he ought to live in a bubble. He's going to need that immunity built up when all the real diseases start coming out of the woodwork. We are way overpopulated.

NT