PDA

View Full Version : "How to create a video" threads - need help

Surfbullet
11-26-2005, 05:48 PM
Hey guys,

Spicymoose posted a "how to create a video" thread in both SSHUSH and MHUSH. The tutorial and information in these posts was created by TstoneMBD and he intends to use it on his not-for-profit website for free video-hosting.

Tstone shared the information with Spicy so he could make a video of himself, and spicy posted it without Tstone's consent. Tstone contacted me immediately requesting that I delete the threads since they contained his copyrighted content that was produced without his permission...I didn't want to take permanent action(deletion) until I was confident in the correct course, so i've moved them here for the time being.

Thoughts on this?

Surf

Evan
11-26-2005, 06:14 PM
Eh, is that really copyright protected material? I guess he made the text overlays and stuff, but most of it is just screenshots from a program he doesn't own and text explaining how to use it that can probably also be found on the software creator's website or at the very least reproduced easily.

Good idea moving the thread here instead of deleting it.

Surfbullet
11-26-2005, 06:34 PM
I dunno, that was my question. It was clearly done without his permission - and he intends to distribute it freely when his website goes up so it's not like we're permanently depriving the forums of the info. he did make those tutorials apparently though.

Surf

Evan
11-26-2005, 06:57 PM
Right, I understand he made them, but I'm not sure at what point they become "his". For instance, if I made a tutorial for how to host pictures:
-Go to imageshack
-upload pic
-paste link

Let's even say it was a lot more detailed, but the same basic idea, would that be mine? Would/should I be able to stop you from reproducing it? I don't really know the answers.

I guess the best solution is to just leave those threads here since TStone's site will be up soon anyway.

MrWookie47
11-26-2005, 07:34 PM
If Moose copied them verbatim, then, yes, I think that's a copyright violation. Had he rewritten them in his own words, then it'd be fair. I'm not sure which he did, since I haven't read them.

beset7
11-27-2005, 07:25 AM
It's not just a written document it includes pictures with diagrammed instructions etc. I think its reasonable for them to be removed if the author doesn't approve. We remove torrent links and so forth...