PDA

View Full Version : All-in in Limit Hold'em

11-26-2005, 04:30 PM
I've noticed on Pokerstars that when someone is short stacked and goes all in during a limit game, if they lose there cards are mucked. Is this right? Shouldn't they be turned up like in no-limit?

Thanks
Bill

AKQJ10
11-26-2005, 04:45 PM
I'm not sure by what authority you're judging what "should" happen, but by the rules prevalent in most cardrooms this isn't a requirement in ring games, limit or no-limit -- it's only a requirement in tournaments, although many players including me will do it NLHE ring games. Feel free to turn to Robert's Rules (http://www.lasvegasvegas.com/poker/rules.php) if you're looking for a standard; I'm not sure what RR says on this matter.

Some sites are non-standard: Pacific doesn't show the all-in hands even in tournaments, which is pretty odd.

SheridanCat
11-26-2005, 04:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've noticed on Pokerstars that when someone is short stacked and goes all in during a limit game, if they lose there cards are mucked. Is this right? Shouldn't they be turned up like in no-limit?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is an interesting misconception among even experienced poker players that when there is no more betting possible due to a player being all-in, players should turn their hands up.

This is true and the rule under TDA rules for tournaments. However, for ring game play there is usually no such requirement. Of course, house rules might dictate otherwise.

Often, in no limit ring games, a player will tell players in an all-in hand to flip their cards up. It's not required. I've seen dealers say this too, even though there is no house rule requiring it.

There actually is a reason for this rule to exist in tournament play. It's meant to keep people from colluding and chip dumping to one another during a tournament. If you know you're going to be forced to show, any fishing dumping will be pretty apparent.

It's not just to make it more fun for the audience.

In a ring game, no one really cares if players dump to each other. Though, now that I consider it, the limited buy-in no-limit games would give dumping a purpose in a ring game.

Regards,

T

11-26-2005, 05:19 PM
I've only played tournament no-limit and thought the rules were the same, other than betting of course. Your answers bring up something else. Are there any other differences in the rules? What rules can change from house to house(site to site)?

Thanks
Bill

AngusThermopyle
11-26-2005, 07:33 PM
You can see the losing cards in the hand histories.

Is that too hard?

AKQJ10
11-26-2005, 07:53 PM
deleted

SheridanCat
11-26-2005, 09:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Your answers bring up something else. Are there any other differences in the rules? What rules can change from house to house(site to site)?

[/ QUOTE ]

From an online perspective, at the major sites, the rules are pretty much the same. I can't think of a difference at the moment between Poker Stars, PartyPoker, UB, etc.

Brick and mortar rooms are different. Each one will have different rules for certain situations, and you often won't know about the differences until you need an interpretation.

The one rule that you'll always find, though, is that the floor person's decision is final.

Regards,

T