PDA

View Full Version : Bluffs can work at 2/4

11-26-2005, 03:19 PM
I would like comments on the prflop raise. I did it because I thought I had an edge in pot equity, but I struggle with that concept. The 1st raise is from a player who raises drawing hands to build a pot preflop but waits to spring a turn raise with big pockets, so I thought I was ahead of his raising hands.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
Hero calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, CO calls, SB calls, BB calls.

I think the limp-reraise caught some attention, I was playing very tight up to that point.

Flop: (12 SB) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO folds, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB folds, BB folds.

Bluffalicious, I was prepared to fold to a raise. Good play?

Q.

Final Pot: 8.50 BB

lightw1thoutheat
11-26-2005, 03:38 PM
raise pf the first time,the three bet seems silly to me, but it worked this time.

i dont think you necessarily have a big enoguh (if any) of the edge in pot equity to justify three betting. most flops will miss you and you are often up against either a few pp's or some ace rags with the cold callers, which cuts down on your outs if someone has a pp.

Klompy
11-26-2005, 03:42 PM
I don't like any of the streets. starting with the limp/rr to the spewing on a coordinated board.

milesdyson
11-26-2005, 03:44 PM
preflop limp reraise is dumb, and they folded K4 and 33.

check behind on the turn (because you can't fold to a check raise).

toss
11-26-2005, 03:45 PM
Your hand is good enough to raise PF the first time. I don't understand what the LRR does for you.

As for the turn I'd like to have some reads before deciding whether to bet or not.

11-26-2005, 03:57 PM
I didnt raise initially because the table was folding around to any raises UTG and UTG+1 and I would just take down the blinds. If I were off suit I would play it that way, but since I was suited I thought the hand plays ok multiway so I wanted to see how many people would play along. Given my read on the raiser, he didnt have me dominated, so I reraised to trap the blinds for more bets.

krimson
11-26-2005, 04:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I didnt raise initially because the table was folding around to any raises UTG and UTG+1 and I would just take down the blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]
AJ isn't exactly a monster extraction hand. I think you should be happy when everyone folds to your raise with AJ UTG.

private joker
11-26-2005, 04:40 PM
I think you had the best hand on the turn; therefore you didn't actually bluff anything.

toss
11-26-2005, 04:43 PM
If everyone that folded to your raise that would be good for you.

belloc
11-26-2005, 08:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I didnt raise initially because the table was folding around to any raises UTG and UTG+1 and I would just take down the blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Every time you take the blinds in a 2/4 game, you've netted 0.75 BB on that hand. Looking quickly at my PT stats for full ring play, the only hands that make more than that on average are AA-99, AKs, AQs.

You *want* to win the blinds.