PDA

View Full Version : how to learn omaha best ?

dr_mabuse
07-03-2003, 08:21 AM
hi folks,

i am interested in learning the game of omaha especially omaha hi/lo 8 or better, because it looks like it is a very mathematical kind of game. do you have any suggestions how to proceed ?
what to read etc. ?

thanks and bye
dr_mabuse

Al Mirpuri
07-03-2003, 09:39 AM
The book for Omaha/8 is Ray Zee's Hi Lo Split book which is part of the For Advanced Players series.

For Omaha High the book to purchase is Bob Ciaffone's Omaha Hold'em Poker: The Action Game.

Moreover, a chap called Edward Hutchison produced a point count system for evaluating Omaha/8 hands: here it is (http://www.homestead.com/ehutchison/OmahaSystem.html) . Earlier, he also produced such a point count system for Omaha High: here you go again (http://erh.homestead.com/omaha.html) .

You could play Omaha & Omaha/8 with play money on the internet to see you've digested what you will be busy learning or for micro limits.

dr_mabuse
07-03-2003, 09:54 AM
thanks for the help, i will have a try.

gte910h
07-04-2003, 07:45 PM
I still have to suggest Championship Omaha, By Cloutier. I found I seemed quite tight to people playing exactly by the strategy put forth inside, so had to make some cosmetic appearences at playing more hands (I had to see the flop with a crap hand like k298 every other orbit to not get teased and goaded about my tightness, and to get some action).

It has the essential differences between High, HiLo and Pot Limit.

The combined book , "Hi Low split poker" by two plus two "requires thought", as the author admits in the forward. That means you have to pretty much make up your own theories about a lot of things if you want to go play low limit to test out your new knowledge. Coutier, you can read three hours before your game and make some resolutions driving to the game and you'll do fine. I WOULD suggest getting the 2+2 book if you're learning Omaha to deal with a dealers choice game, as it hits nice points about general High/Low strategy that play in Stud8 and Omaha8

tiltboy
07-05-2003, 04:41 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I still have to suggest Championship Omaha, By Cloutier

[/ QUOTE ]
Is there a worse book about Omaha out there? My vote is 'NO'.