PDA

View Full Version : lousy river fold, or just mediocre fold

Wynton
11-26-2005, 02:59 PM
I felt bad about this afterwards, so it must have been wrong. New to the table, 5/10. I'm in bb with 8c7d. UTG+1 calls. SB complets, everyone else folds. I check.

Flop: 8h, 5h, 4c.
SB bets. I raise. UTG+1 folds. SB 3-bets. I call.

Turn: As. SB bets. I call?

River: 3d. SB bets. I (groan) fold.

imported_CaseClosed326
11-26-2005, 03:19 PM
Were you calling the turn hoping he would check the river? Because if you are going to fold the river then I would fold the turn.

Wynton
11-26-2005, 03:38 PM
You've pinpointed the problem: I called without having a clear plan.

When he 3-bet, I thought it was more likely he had an overpair on the flop or top pair with very good kicker, than he had a mere draw. I know some will 3-bet with just a draw, but at 5/10 and below, I still think those people are the exception to the rule.

When villain continued to bet the turn, despite the Ace, I was somewhat surer that I was beat, but still called. I really don't know why, perhaps because of the gutshot.

11-26-2005, 03:40 PM
i'd fold to the turn bet, though you may already be beaten on the flop.

imported_CaseClosed326
11-26-2005, 03:45 PM
Ok, 4 outs for the gutshot, and ummmm I would say he has you dominated with an 8 with a better kicker most of the time. I would only give you 2 outs. Does that all seem about right? 6ish outs? Getting 4-1 on the turn I would fold on the turn then. I suck though and like to call this down from time to time.