PDA

View Full Version : I'm 32 years old and I play D&D

MikeNaked
11-26-2005, 01:58 PM
When I inherited some D&D materials from a friend's dead brother, I dusted off some of my old rulebooks and modules.As I sat in my garage, I reminisced about hanging out with my friends in high school, burning down Js, swilling Milwaukee's Best or Lucky Lager, and laughing hysterically while solving problems, slaying bands of ogres, and saving worlds.

So I went and bought a new module, some used 3rd edition rulebooks (which are WAY better than 1st edition), and got the bros - who are now mostly crusty and married - together to roll up some characters.

We finished our first module last night. The whole party died at the hands of goblins but the chaotic good paladin and a weak fighter NPC still stood - but barely. My friend, the paladin, had one (1) hit point left and was facing a 5th level Druid with 36 hit points who was rolling a 5 foot tall flaming sphere towards him. My buddy needed a 20 to even hit him. Things looked grim ...

The NPC fired an arrow at the Druid and hit, making the sphere fizzle. Then, the paladin lept and rolled a 20, doing double damage and splitting the Druid's shoulder. The paladin then won initiative, and rolled another 20 (!) to skewer the Druid, heroically killing him.

Friggin epic. We've been having a blast and the game's a great excuse to hang out and talk [censored].

Commence flaming in 3...2...1...

JonPKibble
11-26-2005, 02:01 PM
First thing that came to mind-

http://www.txf.net/a-z/l/langly-ringo.jpg

Warik
11-26-2005, 02:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Friggin epic. We've been having a blast and the game's a great excuse to hang out and talk [censored].

Commence flaming in 3...2...1...

[/ QUOTE ]

Last night I went to hang out with a friend and like 20 of his buddies to play p*ker, during which they all got drunk on cheap beer and started burping, farting, and behaving homoerotically in the presence of females, one or two of whom were hot (yet taken).

They also wouldn't share the pizza.

In short, I would have rather been at your D&D game. You and your friends ftw. Can I play?

11-26-2005, 02:12 PM
Maybe I'm too young to remember this, but what does D&D stand for?

diebitter
11-26-2005, 02:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dumb and Dumber

MikeNaked
11-26-2005, 02:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dungeons and Dragons, bro!

http://www.electricbasement.com/images/art_dioSignOfTheBEast1.gif

It's like pre-transistor Worlds of Warcraft.

Publos Nemesis
11-26-2005, 02:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dumb and Dumber

[/ QUOTE ]

clearly.

11-26-2005, 02:36 PM
you loser!!!

just kidding. good for you. fun is fun, and there are many things out there that are embarrasing and juvenile but loads of fun.

I'm 31 and I play video games all the time.

11-26-2005, 03:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dumb and Dumber

[/ QUOTE ]

clearly.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry I'm not the true player who scores on chicks with his "DD" knowledge.
Not that I'm making fun of it or anything.

coffeecrazy1
11-26-2005, 03:13 PM
Clearly, you're an idiot.

Paladins can only be lawful good. What kind of [censored]-up game are you playing? nOOb!

/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

MikeNaked
11-26-2005, 03:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Clearly, you're an idiot.

Paladins can only be lawful good. What kind of [censored]-up game are you playing? nOOb!

[/ QUOTE ]

ROLF! Actually, the stack of resouces I inherited had a Dragon magazine with Paladins from every alignment. Pretty awethome...

A Plethora of Paladins (http://members.tripod.com/Lord_Eadric/paladins/paladins.html)

11-26-2005, 03:26 PM
You are a total loser, I hope you get banned.

JihadOnTheRiver
11-26-2005, 03:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You are a total loser, I hope you get banned.

[/ QUOTE ]

11-26-2005, 04:00 PM
Have you read this dudes posts? click on his name and read some.

JonPKibble
11-26-2005, 04:09 PM
Ok... has anyone here ever seen the Lone Gunmen TV series?

diebitter
11-26-2005, 04:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Me, and I liked it a lot. I'm not kidding.

JonPKibble
11-26-2005, 04:31 PM
There is this one episode where the Gunmen go to a convention in Las Vegas and meet up with fellow hackers for a game of D&D. That is the first thing that came to mind, since his character in supposed to be about 32 I believe.

Alobar
11-26-2005, 04:34 PM
im sure youll get lots of haters and flames. [censored] em man, reliving good times with old friends is good stuff. Im envious, and if I knew you I'd ask if I could join in, cuz some of the best times I had with my friends when I was younger was playing D&D in my friends garage.

HopeydaFish
11-26-2005, 05:12 PM
If this is what you enjoy doing and it gives you happiness to do so, by all means play D&D with your friends. It's nobody else's business but your own.

That being said, don't be the type who obsessively talks about it with people who have never played the game before, and don't know what the hell you're talking about.

I hated those guys in junior high... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

11-26-2005, 05:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Me, and I liked it a lot. I'm not kidding.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just rented the 1st (and only??) season. Dvds about a month ago, awesome show.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
11-26-2005, 05:17 PM
TMNT ftw

11-26-2005, 06:44 PM
That you like D&D is fine, its your business. But to want to tell others about it at the age of 32 is frightening. Try talking to girls.

11-26-2005, 07:45 PM
It sucks that D&D still carries such a heavy nerd stigma, but I think it's because you actually have to put a decent measure of mental effort into learning how to play and using your imagination.

Here's an actaul SAT analogy for all of you:
Pen and paper rpg is to PC rpg
as
sexual intercourse is to cybering.

BTW, you don't have to reroll initiative every round in 3rd ed. Did the players kill Meepo?

11-26-2005, 07:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That you like D&D is fine, its your business. But to want to tell others about it at the age of 32 is frightening. Try talking to girls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would it be ok if he liked to play Everquest?

BradleyT
11-26-2005, 08:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Would it be ok if he liked to play Everquest?

[/ QUOTE ]

D&D Online (http://www.ddo.com/) beta signup. Uses that ruleset 3 or whatever.

JonPKibble
11-26-2005, 08:29 PM
I love OOT. Where else can you find a thread about D&D players and "when did you last get laid" right next to each other?

Blarg
11-26-2005, 09:41 PM
A lot of people think they're the same subject.

bdohaney
11-26-2005, 10:14 PM
I happen to like D&D still as well, only at 27, but married and with one child. Actually got my wife involved in it. I have always enjoyed RPGs. I probably will always enjoy RPGs.

Ulysses
11-26-2005, 10:45 PM
As long as you're the Dungeon Master, it's cool.

Mason Hellmuth
11-26-2005, 10:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Wait, are we talking about Dungeons and Dragons, or Magic?

MikeNaked
11-26-2005, 10:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
BTW, you don't have to reroll initiative every round in 3rd ed. Did the players kill Meepo?

[/ QUOTE ]

Rerolling: True, but we prefer to reroll every round..funner.

Meepo: LOL! No, but poor Meepo fell into a spiked pit running away from his pet dragon.

MikeNaked
11-26-2005, 10:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
im sure youll get lots of haters and flames. [censored] em man, reliving good times with old friends is good stuff. Im envious, and if I knew you I'd ask if I could join in, cuz some of the best times I had with my friends when I was younger was playing D&D in my friends garage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks and I appreciate the lovefest for D/D and freedom of entertainment. I'm very disappointed in the flaming that I've recieved, like "loser" "[censored] loser" and "meet some girls."

Sighhh...what happened to OOT? This used to be *the* place to get flamed! You guys are just [censored] hacks!

MikeNaked
11-26-2005, 11:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Confirmed: I am the DM. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

JonPKibble
11-26-2005, 11:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sighhh...what happened to OOT? This used to be *the* place to get flamed! You guys are just [censored] hacks!

[/ QUOTE ]

D&D is for dorks, Magic is for geeks, and internet poker is for nerds! And I play two of them.