PDA

View Full Version : AK 400 NL pot to big hand to small?

savman
11-26-2005, 01:20 PM
400NL 6max on party. the table has been playing passive and i have assumed the role of table captain. i have been taking down pots mostly w/o showdown for thirty minutes. table is getting suspicous b/c i recently had a river value bet called by A high when i had trip jacks. however, villain in the hand is a complete unknown. he was at the table when i sat down but he sat out the entire time and was booted from table. he recently rebought for 100BB. in the few orbits i have seen he has been raising 2.25BB from any position and taking down pots. he makes his standard raise from UTG and i have AK in the CO.

(dont have HH was played on another comp.)

villain ~400
Hero ~600

villain opens for 10
hero makes it 30
blinds fold villain calls

FLOP 10 6 4 pot (~66)
villain checks and i bet 45 he calls (oops)

TURN K pot (~155)
villain leads for 85, hero ??????

also, it is relevant that i have not rr pf yet this session. in fact there has not been a rr pf this session by anyone. villain likely does not have a database on my play as i only have a couple thousand hands of 400 NL on this SN. i guess he could have some 200NL not that it would do him any good as i defenitely make adjustments as the two games play very different imo.

savman
11-26-2005, 03:09 PM
since noone is responding i will give my thoughts during the hand and maybe then some useful discourse will result. when villain donk opens from EP this means little more than two cards. first, i am immediately suspicious of any player who makes these ridiculous opening raises regularly. it is almost always an indicator of bad play (in hindsight a fact i could have given more weight to in my thinking) so i pop it up to 30 and this should let villain know i have a big hand. as stated in OP there had been exactly zero pf rr since i had sat down at the table so against unknown opponents if nothing else u should skew their hand range towards AA/KK/QQ. villain calls. now considering the fact villain is going to be oop the entire hand i expect him to call here with hands that can stand to be OOP. e.g. all pp's b/c after all i have given him odds to hit his set providing villain obets the 5.10 rule. sometimes i think he hold a big A here but i certainly wouldnt want to be holding it but thats just me. so i immediately assign him a range of all pp's AK-AQ maybe KQ J10. when the flop comes ten high (rainbow btw) when checked to i bet ~2/3 pot. at this point i feel my hand has been pretty clearly defined. my cards here are really irrelvant, i mean i would rather have AK b/c it makes it less probable villan hold AA KK and when he rarely has QQ JJ then i can actually make a hand that will win at showdown, but all in all i might as well have 72o here b/c when i make this play against an opponent who raises too often i am NOT looking to win at showdown...but since villain i may be drawing a hasty conclusion with only 30-40 hands on villian i defenitly want a hand with some showdown value until i get a better read. moving along. when the turn comes a K this is a very interesting card. now if villian has called my flop bet with an overpair that isnt KK AA, i now am ahead in the hand, but if villain called my flop bet b/c he has flopped a monster this could be a bad card for me. he leads into me for 85. ok, this is an interesting bet. villain has unknowingly made a great bet here. when he bets 85 he is really betting a lot more than that. if i call the pot with be like 320ish and villain will have something like 250ish in his stack. since he is unknown i have no idea what range villain is betting on the river and for what amount, also, i only have a pair, for all in know i am drawing stonecold dead, and the times i am ACTUALLY AHEAD here villain is drawing live with pretty good implied odds. (if he had say j10 or something like that) all in all villain has applied a ton of pressure on me here b/c like i said earlier i feel like i ahve defined "my hand" even if he doesnt beleive i have AA KK QQ, any K is defenitely in my range yet he leads into me anyway. thoughts.

amoeba
11-26-2005, 03:15 PM
I call the turn, unless if you think a turn raise will be read for a bluff and they'll call with QQ, JJ.

11-26-2005, 03:18 PM
I call that turn bet, and call anything less than 1/2 pot on the river.

savman
11-26-2005, 03:29 PM
ok i was either calling or folding, i just didnt think i had the image that raising would be called by qq, jj. i defenitely think the play is call and call 1/2 pottish bets on river, just liek dirtdog said. this hand was defeitly a learning experience at 400 NL, i havent played in a few months except for the couple thousand hands i have recently. i tend to play to weak tight in calling situations when transitioning to a new level so i made a pretty bad play and folded. turns out villain was a donk and showed me a10. i like my play until the turn and am glad villain made the massively -EV preflop call as he defenitly was not calling the flop to take away the pot later. o well, lesson learned and notes taken.

amoeba
11-26-2005, 03:32 PM
seemed like he was calling the flop to take away on the turn.

what do you do with QQ on the turn?

11-26-2005, 03:33 PM
I think hands like that is what makes adjusting to the aggresiveness at the 400s kinda tough.

11-26-2005, 03:36 PM
And if villain had checked do you fire into him on the turn?

ryanghall
11-26-2005, 03:37 PM
Call turn and reevaluate the river.

Ryan

amoeba
11-26-2005, 03:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually check behind a lot of the time as if he calls my turn bet, i'm not sure I lead again on the river.

11-26-2005, 03:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually check behind a lot of the time as if he calls my turn bet, i'm not sure I lead again on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im gonna agree with this.

savman
11-26-2005, 03:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
if he checks my default play would be to check through here. my rational would be i gain value from hands like qq jj 99 and kq. and i would think he is almost always drawing thin, and i am puking if checkraised. if checked to on river i would value bet 2/3 pot.

savman
11-26-2005, 03:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
seemed like he was calling the flop to take away on the turn.

what do you do with QQ on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

assuming villain makes the same 1/2 pottish bet i think there is a case for calling with qq as well. at 1/2 pot i think i could call and reevaluate river. tough spot w/o a read on an opponent.

soah
11-26-2005, 05:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
now considering the fact villain is going to be oop the entire hand i expect him to call here with hands that can stand to be OOP. e.g. all pp's b/c after all i have given him odds to hit his set providing villain obets the 5.10 rule. sometimes i think he hold a big A here but i certainly wouldnt want to be holding it but thats just me.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're giving this guy way too much credit.

GoCubsGo
11-26-2005, 06:02 PM
I'm assuming there are no flush draws since you didn't list suits. Call the turn. You don't need to raise because that shows too much strength and he may fold a weaker hand. You will still be able to get him all in by calling because he will have ~$240 left and there will be ~$325 in the pot.

I don't play 400NL but I see a lot of players like this. He could have a set, but I think you're looking at KQ or KJ most of the time. Does anybody think he could have AT or KT? I think he would have played both of those more aggressively on the flop.

iceman5
11-26-2005, 06:18 PM
Wait, you folded to his turn bet? Tell me it isnt so.

If youre going to reraise AK preflop and bet the flop unimproved, you cant fold when you turn a K.