PDA

View Full Version : rodeo and fishing report

Ray Zee
07-03-2003, 12:39 AM
last weekend went to the augusta rodeo. big one for montana and known as a drunken blast. well all i can say is they toned it down alot. as far as the events the bulls won. riders lost big time. i really went for an art opening but the rodeo was part of it all.
for the fishing i camped at bean lake and didnt do anything there. then went up to the dearborn river. the river is beautiful but full of small fish intsead of the bigger stuff that used to be around. the price of progress.
off to the missouri at wolf creek. and old time favorite of mine. but as the the crowds have found the place i couldnt find one stinkin spot to fish without a fool casting there already. so off to missoula. at missoula i camped at chief looking glass. this is my favorite spot around the bitterroot. but the mossys were biting so bad i hid inside the camper quaking in fear. so in the morning in missoula, i fished the clark fork of the columbia right smak in the middle of town. right next to the boone and crocket club headquarters. lots of nice fish 11 to 15 inches. i caught about a dozen from 6:15 am to 7:15 when the sun came upon the water. then the action stopped. so off to breakfast at the hob nob and the drive home.

Zeno
07-03-2003, 02:50 AM
Sounds like good Montana fun. Spent about two hours on a small steam tonight and right at dark got a nice 12- inch brown, powerful Male- slight "hump". When I cleaned the fish out, I found a fresh-water snail in his gut, 5/8 in long; a big snail for a small fish. This is the best fish I have caught out of this very small stream. Fishing will taper off in this stream now, as water is getting lower and will warm up. The only good fishing is right before dark, or perhaps early morning but I haven't done that yet.

-Zeno

Boris
07-03-2003, 12:12 PM
I thought I was a bad. Your hanging out with the uber rich and going to art gallery openings. Afraid of little mosquitos? My god.

I got kicked out of Augusta about 12 years ago. havn't been back since. the Deputy said he would've arrested us all but he couldn't fit us in the cop car and the jail was 70 miles away. Only other alternative was to be out of there by sun up. We thought it was a good deal.

Ray Zee
07-03-2003, 09:00 PM
i go to all the art openings. lots anyway. i hear they still talk about you over there. and dont want you back.

these were little mossys, but attacked with abandon. yes i am afraid of them. and a little more cautious as west nile virus has come around.

Ed I
07-04-2003, 12:45 AM
I worry a bit about West Nile. I've made 10 or so trips to the Missouri this yr. I never float but have found I can get some water to myself. Thats the one river I overlook the crowds on somewhat. Just got back from 3 days at Georgetown. Talked to some fish biologists about Clark Fork. One said if they ever clean up the past mining mess people would forget the Madison. He was not very optimistic over the proposed dam removal and clean up. Said it didn't do enough. I hope he's wrong.