PDA

View Full Version : river play

11-26-2005, 05:19 AM
No Read on Villian...

folded around to hero in CO w/ K9s (clubs), hero raises, villian 3 bets from the sb, hero calls....

flop comes KT8, 2 hearts, villian bets, hero raises, villian 3 bets, hero calls....

turn 7s, villian bets, hero raises, villian calls....

river 5d, villian checks, hero????

I was hoping for a fold on the turn when I raised... his call lead me to think I could easily be behind, b/c there are not very many hands I have beat here, is this too thin for a value bet?

private joker
11-26-2005, 06:51 AM
I'm taking a free showdown.

Danenania
11-26-2005, 09:30 AM
Why raise the turn if you are hoping for a fold? Just call down and let him keep betting his worse hands.

slavic
11-26-2005, 01:36 PM
I'm less likely to raise the turn after picking up the OESD. At that point I'm calling the turn and deciding on the river later, I don't need more information because at this point I have too many outs (though possibly tainted) to fold. The other problem is that the pot bloated enough on the flop and preflop that many hands are going to see the river no matter what you do. I can't make a clear value raise, folding is wrong, so I call.

bobbyi
11-26-2005, 02:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was hoping for a fold on the turn when I raised

[/ QUOTE ]
What hands are he folding that you actually want him to fold?

sy_or_bust
11-26-2005, 02:25 PM
call down after the flop 3-bet. he'll keep betting some weaker made hands and draws while your K9 is drawing fairly often. raising the turn lets villain fold worse hands and doesn't earn anything from a draw or worse hand that bets any river.

11-26-2005, 04:04 PM
good point.... do you think the turn raise was a poor decision?

11-26-2005, 04:08 PM
if you think it was misplayed on every street what do you think would be the right play with that hand in that situation?

CardSharpCook
11-26-2005, 04:53 PM
My standard line is to call the flop, raise the turn. Raising the flop in position gets people worried about you trying to see a free card. You don't get as accurate information as you might like. I wouldn't mind charging AQ/AJ on the turn. The line you took looks a little spew-happy (you do realize that your kicker is a 9?) After getting 3-bet on the flop, calling down is a better line. Your "I hope he folds" thought is not how you should be thinking at all. Trying to get people to fold HU when you have TP isn't profitable. Either you'll spew chips to a better hand, or kill action vs. a worse hand. Here, you lose 1BB vs. AT/QQ/JJ.