PDA

View Full Version : Come Into My Trading Room

housenuts
11-26-2005, 04:44 AM
Is this book any good? I've been looking around on amazon for a bit and it seems like a good buy. I know nothing about trading. I don't even know what kind of trading/investing I want to do because I don't really know the differences. I want a book that begins with the complete basics, and progresses a bit. Will this do the trick?

Any other suggestions?

thanks,
housenuts

Sniper
11-26-2005, 06:14 AM
Elder's book is good.... I recommend it!

11-26-2005, 12:19 PM
whats it about? only trading related book i've bought is Trading in the Zone which is ok...

Sniper
11-26-2005, 02:08 PM
It goes deeper into the 3 M's of trading that he covered in his first book (Trading for a living)... Mind, Method, Money.

11-26-2005, 02:15 PM
imo the biggest is mind

Sniper
11-26-2005, 02:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
imo the biggest is mind

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, which is why I put Elder's books in the same category as books by Douglas, and Van Tharp.

housenuts
11-26-2005, 04:17 PM
my main question is, is it good for a complete novice?

or is there at least some website of trading definitions?
ie.
short
swing trade
position trade
etc.

I still am unclear on what's what

Sniper
11-26-2005, 04:24 PM
Elder's book will walk you thru some of the basics, but if you want a foundation on terminology, you can just browse thru investopedia.

If you were looking to invest, rather than trade, you might be better served by reading thru William O'neills book.

If you are looking to "get serious" about the stock market, you should expect to read many books.

housenuts
11-26-2005, 04:40 PM
investing is more long term right? whereas trading is something you can do daily hoping to make a small profit on making small +ev trades?

Sniper
11-26-2005, 04:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
investing is more long term right? whereas trading is something you can do daily hoping to make a small profit on making small +ev trades?

[/ QUOTE ]

Investing is generally long term.

Trading, doesn't have to be daily. There are many categories of traders, over various time frames. But a trader will be significantly more active than an investor.

housenuts
11-26-2005, 04:58 PM
ya that's what i meant. ok i'm just gonna pick up this book and give it a go.