PDA

View Full Version : Standard right?

11-26-2005, 04:07 AM
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Preflop: Hero is Button with T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, MP1 calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, MP3 folds.

River: (10.50 BB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 10.50 BB

Jake (The Snake)
11-26-2005, 04:19 AM
Reads would be helpful. Flop raise may or may not be good but I don't have a problem with it at first glance.

Why did you raise the turn?

11-26-2005, 04:24 AM
Hmmm, do reads reallly matter on the flop? I raised the turn because I had a double bell buster straight draw, and still wanted to fold the other guy out for my overs.

Jake (The Snake)
11-26-2005, 04:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hmmm, do reads reallly matter on the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

If these guys don't fold, then the flop raise is no good. You want to be able to win this hand sometimes when not inmproving. You want to fold out anybody holding your pair outs.

[ QUOTE ]
I raised the turn because I had a double bell buster straight draw, and still wanted to fold the other guy out for my overs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Think about how many things have to go right for you to raise the turn for that reason. BB has to have a T or an 8. BB has to fold it. You have to hit another T or 8. It has to still win at showdown. This will almost never happen.

A better reason to raise would be for folding equity, but I don't think you are getting them both to fold nearly often enough.

11-26-2005, 09:53 AM
This play is not standard for me. First, I usually don't play a hand like 10-8 suited unless there are a lot of callers in an unraised pot. Second, on the flop, you have two overcards, a gutshot straight draw, and a backdoor flush draw. I would have check/folded the flop. I can't figure out raising post flop

toss
11-26-2005, 10:12 AM
I can agree with flop raise (gutshot, Backdoor flushdraw, two overcards, clean some outs), but I can't agree with the turn raise. For a semibluff raise to be correct your opponents have to fold some percentage of the time. I don't think MP3 will stop'n go bet/fold the turn enough nor will MP1, who called two on the flop, will fold enough either.

belloc
11-26-2005, 12:57 PM
I like a flop raise with all of this (gutshot, BD flush, overcards) if my overcards are bigger. Even if you pair one of your cards, you have kicker trouble. I think I just call this flop here and let everybody come along and see what the turn brings.

brettbrettr
11-26-2005, 01:01 PM
I don't mind the flop raise but the turn raise seems stupid beyond dumb. You want a free showdown with ten high? Yes, you have a lot of outs. No, you don't have enough to make this raise +ev, even if your overcards are good.

bobhalford
11-26-2005, 01:48 PM
If you are going to raise the flop, fine. It's an aggressive play and hopefully will buy you a free look at the turn and river for 1BB. However, on the turn, you want to fold. You are probably drawing to only 4 outs, and it doesn't make much sense to pay any more to find out. Villain doesn't seem to be bothered by your flop raise, so you have to concede defeat when he bets out again on the turn.

11-26-2005, 08:32 PM
you missed the double belly buster straight draw on the turn. Calling is an option. Folding is not an option.

11-26-2005, 09:20 PM
Not a huge fan of the PF call. In that situation with two limpers (reads on blinds would help) I would rather be raising than limping.

Flop, standard, cleaning up some outs with backdoor draws. the board is weak.

Turn, sure the raise will probably get you to the SD, but MP3 donking into you definitely means he has the 7. Seems like A7/K7 spades perhaps. Raising wont get him to fold his TP.

River, standard.

Reads would have helped. I would have preferred just calling the turn, because unless I hit something on the river, i'd rather not waste the extra BB just to showdown nothing. If i miss the river, I am folding anyways.

11-26-2005, 11:26 PM
From the turn on, this hand doesn't seem standard at all. The preflop call is fine, and the flop raise looks good too. With two overcards, a gutshot and a backdoor flush draw you should be able to narrow the field and increase your equity quite a bit with this raise, as well as buy a free card often if you want to take one.

However, the rest of the hand really doesn't work. First, some reads on MP1 and MP3 would be very helpful. MP1 called two cold on the flop, and MP3 did a stop and go when the turn was rather harlmess. Outside of their PT stats and any other reads you might have on them, these facts alone should tell you that your raise is not very likely to fold both of them. There are only 6.5 big bets in the pot when the action is to you on the turn and you are putting 2 more in here with a weak hand and little chance to win the pot immediately. You also don't know if your 10 or 8 is a clean out. Mp3 could have a hand like 78 or 67 or even 58. Calling is a much better option here.

But when you did decide to raise, I think the biggest error here was made on the river. Your raise ended up knocking out Mp3 and you are now heads up with 10.5 Big bets in the pot and 10 high. The only way you can win this large pot is by betting, and your bluff only need to work 1 out of 10 times. Some reads would be handy here but couldn't MP1 have a hand like 89 or even something like A8 of spades if he is loose enough? Bet this river if you play the rest of the hand like this.

11-27-2005, 03:48 AM
I'm folding this flop most of the time. Unless MP3 is very LAG. I guess you've got 10 cards to improve, but I don't raise here.

SNOWBALL138
11-27-2005, 05:23 AM
I just call the turn. The pot isn't big enough to try to push out hands like A8, and KT. If you KNEW that MP1 had those hands, then the raise is ok, but you don't know that your raise is buying you extra outs.