PDA

View Full Version : 20-40 from the BB - a little feedback (too long)

joey_aces
07-02-2003, 10:19 PM
This is my first post so I'll take a moment to introduce myself. I've been reading 2+2 for at least a year and think you gents are quite adept and a true resource. Cheers to you.

I'm a college student that has been playing for some time now, but only recently have I accumulated a bank that will let me think about a game at this level. Mostly Ive picked up my game through serious study and observation. Plenty about my boring self -

Anyway, a pretty good 20-40 at the Sun.

I am on the BB with A4 hearts. It's folded around to the cutoff who is pretty aggressive, maybe a bit overagressive, and he raises. The small blind calls and I call. (1) *I don't know too much about the SB but I don't recognize him. and he hasn't shown down a hand yet.

The flop comes 3H 8x JH

check- I bet out - and cutoff raises - the sb smooth calls and then I call (2)

turn - 3x

cutoff leads, sb folds (?) and I call.

river - 4x - I check, cutoff bets, I raise and take it down. (3)

1 - I know the cutoff will raise with just about anything that can straight, including one suited picture card and other assorted junk. I also know that he will do it with the nuts too and not flinch. I have to call this, but does anyone raise? I don't know too much about the SB and I think the raise is counterproductive because I commit myself and I hate if an ace comes.

2 - At this point I admit that I am a little distressed by the SB. The flop is pretty ugly and probably didn't make anything too unbreakable at this point. I think that if the small blind folds, I reraise and if called lead out at the turn. I'm drawing to the goods still here. But admittedly, I don't love the way things are goin just yet.

3 - The turn and river are both pretty innocuous. I am checking my position here at the turn, I don't want to have to play for 2bets. The SBs fold here confuses me - but I don't spend too much time thinking about it.

The river pairs my 4, and he bet out. Its very difficult to put him on a hand so I think about some of the holdings that he may have and call another bet for - KJ, any pair under jacks, solid aces. This is where I could really use some help, I tend to play pretty quickly in a game, so I decided to not hesitate, and just push in a raise. Do you hate my raise on the end? The only way in which I really gained on the river is if he is overplaying a better ace than mine. For me to raise here I have to think that my bare ace is leading. Right? Is this foolish? Fishy?

In my defense I know that this player is aggressive, can make laydowns and feels that I am 'sneaky'

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

PS he had 9T H, and I have an inkling the SB had hearts too.

j

Philuva
07-03-2003, 12:21 AM
What worse hand are you expecting to call you with on the river check-raise? Or what better hand are you expecting to have fold?

It seems like he either has a real hand or is on a draw. Plus if he is on the flush draw he is w/o the Ah, so the chances of him calling with A high are reduced.

I would just check-call the river. I see no advantage to the check-raise.