PDA

View Full Version : Relearning straightforward play (a hand)

JoeyT
07-02-2003, 09:34 PM
I'm heading to AC in a few weeks, and I don't plan on playing any higher than 5/10 out there due to bankroll considerations, so I decided to take a step down to some real low limit online stuff to get me back into the mode of low limit b&m games. I haven't posted a hand on here in a while, so I figure I'll post a few over the next few weeks as I'm brushing up.

The following hand occurred at a UB .25/.50 table. It seems fairly straigtforward, but it made me think for a few seconds, hence the post.

I'm in MP with KJ. EP limper, I limp, button raises, big blind and limpers call. 4 to the flop for 8 SB's.

Flop brings KQ4r. Checked to me, I bet, button calls, BB folds, EP calls.

Turn brings an offsuit 2. Now, the EP player bets into me. I call, as does the button. I almost always raise here, but I just decided to call. I was confused as to why the EP would all of the sudden bet into me, and I figured I may be behind here to a set or two pair now. Part of the reason for this post was that I'm trying to get into my head the concept that most opponents aren't very tricky, and a change of pace like this caused me to just call.

River brings an ace. Not good. EP checks now, as do I, and button (as I figured) bets. EP calls, and I fold now that its protected.

I'm not really sure about my play on any street here. On the flop I bet into the preflop raiser, rather than checking and having it possibly get checked through. The turn brought a blank, and all of the sudden the agressor changes. I was thrown off here, so I just called. The river brought the big time scare ace, which I was almost certain the button would like... hence the check/fold. I'll post results in a post below.

JoeyT
07-02-2003, 09:36 PM
The button had AJ, and EP had K9. It appears that if I raise the turn, the button gets the heck out (maybe), and I take this pot down. The EP didn't seem like a tricky player at all, and I was very confused when all of the sudden they fired away on the turn. If the river brings anything but an ace, I call the river bet.

Ed Miller
07-02-2003, 10:02 PM
This bet usually means top pair. What happened is that the guy flopped top pair and checked to the raiser. When the raiser didn't raise the flop, he figured that his top pair was best, so he bet out. I would have raised the turn.