PDA

View Full Version : raising in the BB

Cancuk
11-26-2005, 01:17 AM
Whats the minimum you raise w/ in the BB in a multiway unraised pot? anything you would have open raised with? Anything that is, or probably is, +EV, Axs, mid suited connectors? I think i'm way to passive in the blinds.

cheers,

Cancuk

imported_leader
11-26-2005, 03:24 AM
88-77, A9s-A8s, AJo, KQs-KJs, maybe QJs Sometimes I'll raise Ato, KTs. depends on the players specifically how loose they are and how many there are. Like if button open limps and SB calls. I might raise JTs. It's very situational. Post some hands.

jt1
11-26-2005, 03:28 AM
56s & J8o. An interesting thing about bb play is that some players hate it when you raise in the bb. They think your not playing nice and so will challenge you later in the hand.

xwillience
11-26-2005, 03:30 AM
99+ and KQs

jt1
11-26-2005, 03:31 AM
my fault, i didn't see that you're talking about multi-way here.

imported_leader
11-26-2005, 03:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
56s & J8o. An interesting thing about bb play is that some players hate it when you raise in the bb. They think your not playing nice and so will challenge you later in the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Noticed that too.

StellarWind
11-26-2005, 03:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
88-77, A9s-A8s, AJo, KQs-KJs, maybe QJs Sometimes I'll raise Ato, KTs. depends on the players specifically how loose they are and how many there are. Like if button open limps and SB calls. I might raise JTs. It's very situational. Post some hands.

[/ QUOTE ]
A problem with raising a hand like A8s is that in exchange for a small preflop profit you create problems postflop:

1. When an ace flops people are quick to put you on an ace or second pair. People will get away cheaply from a lot of non-ace hands that might otherwise chase you. You'll still be called down by a smaller ace but you may miss out on getting raised. You've helped your opponents to play better and your implied odds are significantly reduced.

2. Your options on a flop like Q86 are seriously reduced. You don't really want to bet MPTK into a crowd but you may not have any choice. Had you checked your option you could check again and read the table action before picking a plan.

There are flops where the PFR works to your advantage, but overall giving the opponents a correct impression of your hand isn't helpful.

Contrast this with a hand like QJs where a big blind raise will tend to confuse your opponents and make them play worse preflop.

imported_leader
11-26-2005, 05:04 AM
I agree. I don't always raise A8s or even A9s. It's opponent and situation dependent. Sometimes I think you're just giving up to much value against some limpers. I mean if got to people limping with top 50% minus the top 10% of hands. There's a lot of value in raising A8s.