PDA

View Full Version : My netflix picks for this week with reviews

jokerthief
11-26-2005, 01:16 AM
My movies this week: Revenge of the Sith, Equilibrium, Batman Begins. This week was my first viewing of each since I don't believe in going to the theater (there are much better ways of spending time with friends).

Revenge of the Sith 2 hours and 20 minutes.

About what I expected. Definitely the best of the new series. I'm not a big fan of the other two. I would rank the three with this one on top, Phantom Menace second, and Attack of the Clones third. My main criticism of the series is the lack of inter-charecter chemistry that was so exceptional in the original series. This problem still exists in Revenge of the Sith but is made up for by a better storyline. The storyline is good enough, in fact, to make up for the lack of chemistry and fairly bad acting all around. One exception to this is Ian McDiarmid who played Palpatine brilliantly. The action and visuals are good, story is pretty good, and the acting sucked. It could of been much better but since its star wars it becomes a must see.

Batman Begins 2 hours.

This is the best Batman movie ever made. There I said it, flame away Tim Burton fan boys. Seeing how Bruce Wayne evolves into Batman is the aspect I like most in this movie. I also like how this movie has less of a comic book feel and more of a real life present time feel to it. This has the effect of giving Batman less of superhero feel and more of a driven modern man with access to modern technology feel. With less of a mythical feel to Batman, one feels as if the future is now. This is one thing I say to people, "We are living in the future." This is a refreshing break from the recent Batmans that stretch it to the point of deus ex machina. Great movie, best superhero, must see.

Equilibrium 1 hour 47 minutes.

This is set in the early 22nd century and after the third world war humanity has accepted a totalitarian one world government that has outlawed emotion as a means to end war. The theory is that emotions are the genesis of all of human's misdeeds. Books, art, music, and any tinge of emotion are crimes that are punishable by death. All citizens are required to take daily doses of a drug that suppresses emotion. The enforcers of the law are called clerics and are strangely reminiscent of the Matrix's Agents. In fact there is nothing original at all in this movie. It is a combination plagiarism of the Matrix, Harrison Bergeron, and 1984. Mix the three, add Christian Bale (aka Batman) and Taye Diggs and you have Equilibrium. If you can get over redundancy then this is a decent action flick. If you aren't familiar with Harrison Bergeron or 1984, please don't go proclaiming this as a profound intelligent movie. Don't embarrass yourself. Overall this is just a decent action flick riddled with redundancy.

RiverFenix
11-26-2005, 01:19 AM
Equilibrium is insane, you need to reevaluate

jokerthief
11-26-2005, 01:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Reevaluate what? I said it's a good action flick but it's premise is unoriginal. Are you saying that it is an original storyline?

Publos Nemesis
11-26-2005, 01:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

machinist is better.

Dudd
11-26-2005, 03:12 AM
Equilibrium is one of the few movies I couldn't finish. It all felt like a cheap knockoff of 1984, and the action scenes didn't do anything for me. I just hated it.

11-26-2005, 07:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

machinist is better.

[/ QUOTE ]

you can't compare machinist and equilibrium. equilibrium was pretty damn good the first time I had seen it. It was very underrated and now seems more of a cult hit. I believe part of the reason I enjoyed it so much was because of the lack of hype.

-Skeme-
11-26-2005, 11:32 AM
I thought Batman Begins was insanely mediocre. And The Machinist was awful. I liked it better as Identity, Fight Club, High Tension, Gothika, A Tale Of 2 Sisters and Secret Window. Actually, I didn't, barring Fight Club, those were all isanely terrible as well.

TomHimself
11-26-2005, 02:36 PM
secret window was bad

batman was good

11-26-2005, 04:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Batman Begins 2 hours.

This is the best Batman movie ever made. There I said it, flame away Tim Burton fan boys. Seeing how Bruce Wayne evolves into Batman is the aspect I like most in this movie. I also like how this movie has less of a comic book feel and more of a real life present time feel to it. This has the effect of giving Batman less of superhero feel and more of a driven modern man with access to modern technology feel. With less of a mythical feel to Batman, one feels as if the future is now. This is one thing I say to people, "We are living in the future." This is a refreshing break from the recent Batmans that stretch it to the point of deus ex machina. Great movie, best superhero, must see.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that this is the best Batman ever, but I had one major suspension of disbelief problem I just can't get around. Not wanting to ruin it for those who haven't seen it, I'll just say this: The human body is 80% water. Think about it.

Gary

diebitter
11-26-2005, 04:30 PM
Batman Begins = I'd say the best superhero movie ever made, to date. But Batman's always, always been my favourite superhero cos his 'superpower', if you can call it that, is his will. This to me, makes him supremely human.

Equilibrium = absolutely hated it the first time I ever saw it, seemed hokey and the whole emotionless thing just didn't work for me as characters who should be emotionless were emoting like crazy.... however, I rewatched it some time later (6 months+), and liked it a whole lot better. The gun fu is awesome, it must be said.

RotS = fun.

11-26-2005, 04:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Reevaluate what? I said it's a good action flick but it's premise is unoriginal. Are you saying that it is an original storyline?

[/ QUOTE ]

So for a movie to be great is must have an original storyline? Screw you, it was a great action movie.

BTW for fans of gun kata - "Wimmer has said his own vision of gun Kata can be seen in most of it's glory in his next film, Ultraviolet."

jokerthief
11-27-2005, 01:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So for a movie to be great is must have an original storyline? Screw you, it was a great action movie.
"

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. A great movie absolutly does have to be original. There is nothing original at all with equilibrium. I've seen the ethical questions that it lays out a bunch of times before in works like Harrison Bergeron and 1984 and I've seen the cinematography and action scenes before in the Matrix. Had this movie come out before the Matrix I would have liked it much better because the action sequences would have been new. If the screen play was written before HB ,1984, or Brave New World, then I could have seen the story as intelligent.

Also, screw you for disagreeing with me. Bastard.

surfinillini
11-27-2005, 01:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a decent movie that had such a low budget...action scenes were somewhat novel, never seen Gun-Fu before or whatever the [censored] it's called.

Batman begins - solid flick, but #2 to Nicholson/Keaton combo.

fluxrad
11-27-2005, 01:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the correct answer.

jokerthief
11-27-2005, 01:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I only slightly disagree with this.

11-27-2005, 01:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's see how the sequel turns out and then we can really see who makes the better batman/joker combo.

surfinillini
11-27-2005, 01:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's see how the sequel turns out and then we can really see who makes the better batman/joker combo.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're joking right?

fluxrad
11-27-2005, 01:26 AM
I'm sorry that you disagree. But a crack team of mathematicians worked long and hard over a period of three months on several of these movies and were finally able to express the correct answer in terms of an algebraic inequality.

Michael Keaton as Batman > Any other actor as Batman.

They then came up with what is now known in the math world as "Keaton's theorem." Keaton's theorem states that, a movie made as a direct result of Keaton's starring as Batman (expressed algebraicly as M(x) ) will, as a result, be better than a movie made by any other actor ( M(y) ). Expressed in terms of a relationship, we can see a clear result, based on the fact that Michael Keaton is a better Batman:

M(Michael Keaton) > M(Any other actor), where M is such that M does not equal Steve McQueen.

As you can see, when we plug in the necessary variables, Batman is better than Batman Begins.

You can't argue with that dude. It's math.

jokerthief
11-27-2005, 01:29 AM
/images/graemlins/grin.gif Nicely done BUT, there is more to a movie than just acting.

surfinillini
11-27-2005, 01:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/grin.gif Nicely done BUT, there is more to a movie than just acting.

[/ QUOTE ]

right, like marquis names...

thus according the Keaton theory

Keaton > Bale

and more importantly

Nicholson > (Bale+Neeson+Holmes)^nth

AceHigh
11-27-2005, 02:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Michael Keaton as Batman > Any other actor as Batman.

[/ QUOTE ]

Keaton is too wimpy to play Batman. This is a guy with no super powers, it has to be someone like Bale who is big enough to kick butt.

Can Keaton even get a part in a movie these days? He is/was so overrated at the time of Batman, people think of that rather than the guy who is reduced to playing "Frosty the Snowman" to get a paycheck.