PDA

View Full Version : - Bankroll Requirements for Shorthanded Play - (long)

ClaytonN
11-26-2005, 12:34 AM
** This discussion should be centered on shorthanded players that are playing 5/10 and lower **

There have been numerous different ideas and strategies concerning bankroll requirements and your playing. I will pose my ideas on the topic, and the rest of you are free to join in.

Limit Hold'Em has always been a swingy game, and microlimit players have looked at shorthanded play more closely only in recent months. The opening of .5/1 and 3/6 shorthanded limit tables at Party was a part of this, but another aspect of it had to do with the fact that it was a new venture. Most microlimit players to be their bible in full ring loose game LHE play. The book did not go into explicit detail covering shorthanded play however, specifically six players and fewer.

I think it's fairly obvious that a lot of newer posters and players are gonna come to this forum and see a gold mine of hands and discussions that will improve their shorthanded play, but there have been a lot of varying opinions on how to maintain and manage a bankroll exclusively for shorthanded play. There was a time in the past where the common rule was 300bb for full ring games, but even this number has swayed with the times and varying opinions.

In one's own opinion, the amount of big bets that are in your bankroll for shorthanded should vary not only with your expectations and your intentions, but also the limits you play.

The first and foremost thing to consider when considering how many big bets to carry is the limit you intend to play. As you move up in limits, the play becomes increasingly aggressive and you must not only intensify your patience in good game selection but you should also expect to carry a few more big bets in the roll, as an increasingly aggressive game can become increasingly variant and swingy.

The second thing to consider is what you want out of poker, namely where your head is at. There is a distinct difference between the player who is using SSSH as another step towards making huge money in the higher games (10/20 and above) and the player who chooses not to risk higher dollar amounts due to outside circumstances (comfort, family, risk management).

Since we've all made this distinction, it's pretty clear that the player who thinks the sky is the limit is going to establish a little more aggressive bankroll strategy than the player who looks for a steady flow of income from the limit they are at.

So, you need to ask yourself the following:
-Why did I get started in poker in the first place?
-How did I get to where I am now?
-What do I want?
-What limit am I playing, and do I want to play higher?
-How much am I willing to risk?
-Where do I want to end up?

When you can answer each of these questions honestly to yourself, then you can more wisely establish a bankroll.

<u>In my opinion</u>, there are three distinct rungs to the ladder that may shift with the changes in player pool, the changes in limits, and the changes in the website or game overall. However, they generally seem to stay the same. Three seperate pathways, three seperate ideals to playing.

1) The aggressive bankroll building (300bb-5000bb): I would categorize this as the bankroll needed for the player who wants to be the next contributor to the mid/high stakes shorthanded forum a la Bicyclekick. To put it bluntly, it will be frequented by a lot of mid-twenty year olds and younger, often college and even high school kids who are looking to make a lot of money on the side. 3/6 and 5/10 offer a lot, but this player is looking to get to the higher stakes ASAP and is fully willing to drop down to lower bankroll levels if need be with all the swinginess.

2) The moderate bankroll builder (600bb-700bb) - this bankroll level offers a medium in comfort and ability to move up. Those who want to shoot for something bigger without having to risk too much might be more comfortable putting this amount on the table. There is room to move up, it just might take a little longer, but there's more comfort with a smaller risk of ruin.

3) The steady flow bankroll (900bb-1100bb) - this bankroll requirement is for the player who is looking to stay at his limit and make a steady flow of income, be it as a profession (or semi profession) or a distate for risking too much a percentage of one's own worth while at the same time turning a good profit.

As a general parameter, expect to get roughed up a little when moving up in levels. That happens. Still, however, continue discussing hands with other posters and keep learning. This will ease the process when you make the decision to move up in stakes.

Again, these are my opinions from a poster who's read a lot (probably too much) in the 2+2 forums over the course of 13 months and as a player who started with a $100 bankroll in January and is now at 3/6 sixmax dabbling in 5/10. Those with dissenting or contrary opinions are free to argue their viewpoints and it's more than welcome, as I'm certain there are posters here with more experience in gauging figures like bankroll requirements, so I open up this thread as a gesture to them as well to outline their opinions. The idea is to give players a better idea on what's best when it comes to bankroll management, a vital skill needed for the poker player.

Good luck,
Clayton

Surfbullet
11-26-2005, 12:46 AM
Excellent post, Clayton.

One important aspect is whether any cashouts are necessary. If poker money is poker money, and one's main goal is to build a roll, then the 300-500BB strategy is probably the most +EV overall becaues it moves you up in limits the fastest.

When I built my br I started with $50 at the 0.25/0.50 games at Pokerroom. They are amazingly soft and a great start. I intended to build my BR before I ever made a cashout, so I took an aggressive, 300BB-for-the-next-level strategy. I got knocked back down a few times (at 2/4 and 5/10, then at 10/20, and again at 10/20). In retrospect a steadier strategy would have made things easier, but because I could afford to drop down it was okay for me at the time to take those risks. Now that I have to withdraw monthly expenses I wouldn't move up permanently until I had 800-1000 BBs at the new limit, because I'm too risk-averse.

You've done a great job outlining bankroll strategies, hopefully new players will take it to heart.

Surf

Guruman
11-26-2005, 01:44 AM
I personally build my cashouts into my moveup threshold, and reward myself for reaching it. This way when I bounce back and forth between levels I'm still being systematically rewarded for good play at the levels I beat.

I'm personally set up in a constant 50 bb shot mode, though in practice I've really just been hanging out at 1/2 until I stick at 2/4.

In my personal system (http://www.freewebs.com/rcoronado/poker/bankroll%20chart.xls) I move up at 600bb and withdraw 50bb at the same time. I move down at 200 bb, which translates into 400bb of the previous level.

(600bb of level 1 divided by 2 = 300bb of level 2. 300 minus 50bb cashout = 250 bb for level 2)

So, as I bounce back and forth I'm constantly cashing out a little and spending on my computer and motorcycle etc.

I also get good looks at the levels above, and invariably I find that I play a great deal better vs the lower levels when I get beaten back down.

Just my .02

ggbman
11-26-2005, 02:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
** This discussion should be centered on shorthanded players that are playing 5/10 and lower **

[/ QUOTE ]
You exclusive [censored]! Just kidding /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Seriously, good post Clayton, bankroll management is key for poker players to have a good chance of exceling. One thing that is often overlooked IMO is that people are stay at a certain limit for a while have more chance to improve, and thus a better chance at sucess when moving up. Staying at a certain limit for a while to inflate your role and improve your game before you move up can often be an excellent idea. Good luck at the tables!

Gabe

xwillience
11-26-2005, 03:13 AM
nice post. i fit your aggressive br builder description and your stereotype of the individual in the category ( im a senior in college and im 20) i also like the 300bb - 5000bb range too. :P i was playing 3/6 short with a 400bb bankroll and now im playing 1/2 short with a 300bb bankroll. between the added variance of 6-max plus the added variance of my aggressive tendencies make it a very swingy game indeed. /images/graemlins/smile.gif keep up the nice posts.

11-26-2005, 04:29 AM
This is a really good post. I have always agreed that when playing the smaller limits (.5/1 1/2 2/4) you do not need to have the set 300BB or 500BB. I think that if a player is a winner in those games, they can play on a short role as in 200BB or less in hopes to move up as quickly as possible.

For the levels of the bankroll builder, I think it is pretty self-explanatory and you laid them out well. I have tried the 300-500BB in the past and seem to move up, then down, then up and stay there. It can be disheartening at times but I think if you are a good player and continue to work hard it will give you the most money in the shortest amount of time.

A+ post

ClaytonN
11-26-2005, 10:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
One thing that is often overlooked IMO is that people are stay at a certain limit for a while have more chance to improve, and thus a better chance at sucess when moving up. Staying at a certain limit for a while to inflate your role and improve your game before you move up can often be an excellent idea. Good luck at the tables!

Gabe

[/ QUOTE ]

Gabe, I'm actually curious to hear how you progressed to where you are now, IIRC you play at least 50/100 and the NL2k games and we're about the same age. Namely how many hands you were putting in and how long you stayed at each limit. My initial thought process was that you being so young you moved up quicker, but with that advice maybe not? Perhaps you played illegally /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

mtdoak
11-26-2005, 11:38 AM
Good post. Bankroll is all about comfort level. I think if the minimum for full ring is 300 BB, the minimum for shorthanded should be at least 500. If you are going to play with less, just be ready to move down when you reach a certain point. I call it a 'calculated shot'.

11-26-2005, 12:16 PM
I think of my bankroll as non-excisting, for a very simple reason; if you're a winning player, you could manage with almost nothing. I'm a former sh 5/10-player, and i played around 30k hands with a profit of ~2bb/100. I cashed out all of my money, except for $30, to prove to myself that i'm a winning player. But also for other reasons, school, friends.. and so on.

Took my $30 on the crypto-network, which i think has the worst sh-players online. They consist of british donkeys and similar hopeless players. Just fiddeling their money away. I sat down with my entire bankroll of 30 on a 1/2 sh-table.

I have now played around 15k hands at this level (without reloading), and crushing it easily. Every average good sh-player will be able to do so, if they did good on higher levels.

Some stats:
VP$IP: 26,5%
PFR: 17%
WTSD: 41%
Att. steal: 32,16%
Agg factors: flop: 2,19
turn: 2,44
river: 2,35
bb/100: 4,5.

People take shots at limits all the time, i don't see why you can't start with it.

POKhER
11-26-2005, 12:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

So, you need to ask yourself the following:
1Why did I get started in poker in the first place?
2How did I get to where I am now?
3What do I want?
4What limit am I playing, and do I want to play higher?
5How much am I willing to risk?
6Where do I want to end up?

[/ QUOTE ]
Anyhow, I personally take the 300BB route. However 100BB swings hurt and i realise i'm not willing to move down(I find it feels like im playing with play money having played higher so moving down = playing worse).

So now i'm keeping to 400-450BB for 50BB Shot aswell.

Good post, I'm going to whore this forum big time!

1, To have a hobby, make as much cash as possible, I've always competed in gaming... This made more sense than playing Counterstrike etc.

2, Grinding with $20 that dropped to $4... Then i found 2+2. Playing 0.02/.04 currently at 1/2 10max but swtiched to .50/1 6max.

3, Loads of money, to be playing 5/10 by next year minimum.

4, 1/2 and .50/1 6max - hell yeah, sky is the limit... ill play 300/600 if i have the BR/Skills.

5, With millions and playing poker a few days a week with a job i love on the side?

ggbman
11-26-2005, 02:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One thing that is often overlooked IMO is that people are stay at a certain limit for a while have more chance to improve, and thus a better chance at sucess when moving up. Staying at a certain limit for a while to inflate your role and improve your game before you move up can often be an excellent idea. Good luck at the tables!

Gabe

[/ QUOTE ]

Gabe, I'm actually curious to hear how you progressed to where you are now, IIRC you play at least 50/100 and the NL2k games and we're about the same age. Namely how many hands you were putting in and how long you stayed at each limit. My initial thought process was that you being so young you moved up quicker, but with that advice maybe not? Perhaps you played illegally /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, i started playing right before i was 17. The thing is, for people multi-table and put in lots of hands any month where you run very well will represent a huge portion of your role. I started out playing $10 SNGS's in July of 04, and i moved to limit in October playing 2-4 with a $2500 role. When i ran my role up to $8000 in early November, i cashed out 6k to have in the bank. I kept playing 2-4 and 3-6, and moved up to 5-10 in early december when i like an $8K role. I took some a shot at 10-20 when i had a 17k role but decided i wasnt ready for the swings. In late February i took a shot at the 15-30 game with maybe like 14k and ran hot right off the bat, but quickly cooled off, and later had an unsucessful shot at 30-60. At the beggining of the summer, i decided i was going to put a lot more focus on rebuilding my game, so again i cashed out a large chunk of my role and left myself 10k to play 5-10. I moved to 10-20 in Mid July with about 20K. I moved to 20-40 in early August with arounf 40-ish, and then 30-60 when i had about 55K. The rest is kinda irrelevant, i played some 50/100 and 100/200 when i felt adequatley rolled for taking some shots, and right now i am playing 2K NL pretty exclusively. Last year during school i tryed to get in 20k hands/month, now i aim for 30. Hope this helps!

Gabe