PDA

View Full Version : Why can't you dry-clean a hat?

11-25-2005, 08:56 PM
So I've had this hat that I've worn literally every time I go outside for the last 3ish years. It's gotten pretty dirty and hard to tell what color it originally was.

I've looked for a new one, but I just can't find one that fits right. Every hat is either a thin flimsy POS that's not structured at all, or the structuring in the front is too tall and it makes me look like I have a huge head. Yes, I know I'm very anal about it. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Today I took the hat to the dry-cleaners, but they said they couldn't clean hats. I didn't want to give the lady a hard time, so I just said ok and left. I don't understand why it can't be done, it's made of 100% cotton. I'm not going to put it in a washing machine, because it'll get [censored] up. What should I do?

astroglide
11-25-2005, 09:05 PM
i've seen those plastic inserts you can buy for them and then run them through a washing machine, dishwasher, or whatever. i don't trust it either.

WackityWhiz
11-25-2005, 09:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i've seen those plastic inserts you can buy for them and then run them through a washing machine, dishwasher, or whatever. i don't trust it either.

[/ QUOTE ]

dishwasher... it works believe it or not

craig r
11-25-2005, 09:11 PM
If it is anything like making it fit perfectly, you wear it in the shower (obviously only for fitted hats). When it dries it will form exactly to your head. I am sure you can clean it like that also.

craig

p.s. I have been a smart ass all day on here, but i promise I am being serious now.

The Goober
11-25-2005, 11:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Today I took the hat to the dry-cleaners, but they said they couldn't clean hats. I didn't want to give the lady a hard time, so I just said ok and left. I don't understand why it can't be done, it's made of 100% cotton. I'm not going to put it in a washing machine, because it'll get [censored] up. What should I do?

[/ QUOTE ]

I always thought that dry cleaning was this mystical process that somehow cleaned clothes without getting them wet or stuffing them into a machine. It turns out that a dry cleaning machine works a lot like a normal washer, only it uses a alcohol-like solvent instead of soap and water. They can't do your hat because it would get squashed and bent out of shape just like in a normal washer ( how dry cleaning works (http://science.howstuffworks.com/dry-cleaning.htm)).