PDA

View Full Version : Can you be a winning player playing like Gus Hansen online?

lefty rosen
11-25-2005, 06:48 PM
I have seen enough guys playing like Gus Hansen at the low limit NL tables. Usually I think they are gambling addicts playing the rush. Does anybody on this board playing like this and run over the weak tight NL players?

snowbank
11-25-2005, 06:54 PM
I have seen enough guys playing like Gus Hansen at the low limit NL tables. Usually I think they are gambling addicts playing the rush. Does anybody on this board playing like this and run over the weak tight NL players?

Low level NL I could see people having success with it. I have tried it from time to time and done well, but I get too crazy with it and forget how to play good poker when I do it too much. I would think someone would have a very hard time playing like this successfully in mid-high stakes NL.

iceman5
11-25-2005, 06:58 PM
I suspect that Gus plays cash games alot different than he plays the final stages of a tournament which is all you see on TV.

mikehildebrand
11-25-2005, 07:26 PM
At the low limits I do employ this whether succesful or not. See, at my B & M we have a lot of regulars playing at the mid to upper level where I usually play, so sometimes I jump into a 4-8 Limit and just fire it up (stradling, raising blind, calling o he river wih junk) just to create an image that keeps my other boys off their guard. I mean, when they hear that Mike busted a low limit game with 73off for over two hours, and then I am at the upper limit and the boad reads 733, I am likely to pull off bluffs. Its all about the table image.

edge
11-25-2005, 07:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would think someone would have a very hard time playing like this successfully in mid-high stakes NL.

[/ QUOTE ]

Loose-aggressive maniac play can work very well at mid- and high-stakes NL. It's usually not very good at low stakes.

I think this is beside the point though. Isn't Hansen fairly well-known as a fish in ring games?

11-25-2005, 09:59 PM
How do you know what Gus Hansen plays like?

dogmeat
11-25-2005, 10:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What do they play like, and how is this different from your own (good or excellent?) play. Can you qualify and quantify any of this "playing like" stuff? I'd be happy to answer your question if I knew more what you ment other than the way Gus often makes super aggressive bets and raises at the final table when he holds 50% of the chips on the table and there are four or five players left - and I think a lot of us do that.........

Dogmeat /images/graemlins/spade.gif

11-26-2005, 01:18 AM
Fyi, Gus isn't a winning player anymore--he owes a lot.

Recliner
11-26-2005, 01:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Fyi, Gus isn't a winning player--he owes a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

11-26-2005, 01:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Fyi, Gus isn't a winning player--he owes a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

sure, whatever makes you happy.

11-26-2005, 02:01 AM
To make that statement assumes you understand Gus's strategy, which is highly unlikely. What you are referring to our maniacs. Gus Hansen is not a maniac. He is unpredictable and that is his strength, however, he is also very gifted at reading people and, if you notice, he's pretty good at getting away from those goofy hands when he needs to. Go ahead and try to play the hands he does, I doubt you'll have close to the amount of success as he has. The man knows exactly what he is doing.

lefty rosen
11-26-2005, 10:45 PM
Bringing donkey suited connectors in for a raise then playing hero with them. Just raising any two when they have doubled up etc......