PDA

View Full Version : QJs - What do you do here?

Joe Tall
07-02-2003, 03:57 PM
My usual Foxwoods 4/8 on Monday night. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3 folds to me in MP and I find lovers under the covers /forums/images/icons/blush.gif :
Q /forums/images/icons/heart.gif J /forums/images/icons/heart.gif
and open-raise
(who open limps here?, who open limps with what and where anyway? examples?)

Folded to the CO (weak-call-station) who cold-calls, button (solid player) 3-bets, folded back to me, I call, CO calls.
Anyone do it differently?

3 to the flop of:
K /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 3 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 4 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif

I check, CO checks, Button-bets, I check-raise, CO calls cold again, Button calls.
(Now afterward I was thinking I should have bet out hoping to trap the CO and the button would raise so I can 3-bet my draw...any takers here?)

Turn:
6 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif

I bet, CO calls, Button calls.

River:
2 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif

I bet, CO calls, button folds, my flush is good.

All comments, suggestions, degradations, praises, swear words, hugs, punches, no kisses are welcome.

Peace,
Joe

rtucker5
07-02-2003, 04:08 PM
Nice result, but I don't like the flop checkraise. Did you think you could take down the pot with a turn bet if you don't improve? If so, good bet. I would have bet out on the flop and called a raise.

(Now afterward I was thinking I should have bet out hoping to trap the CO and the button would raise so I can 3-bet my draw...any takers here?)

I like the lead, but would hate the 3 bet. You might shut the 3rd player out of the pot and might have to call a 4th bet to see the turn with no chance for a free card.

Once the flush comes the hand is pretty routine.

I would have open raised with this hand or mucked it. I make it a habit of not open limping in MP or LP. Raise or fold.

Ed Miller
07-02-2003, 07:58 PM
I disagree... this is a fine place to semi-bluff. You have a solid player 3-betting you and the flop comes K-rag-rag. The pot was 3-bet before the flop, so you have something to play for. If your opponent has a K, then you don't lose that much by getting pounded on the flop, as you are going to hit your draw 1/3 of the time anyway. If your opponent doesn't have a K, then the likely result is that you will take the pot away from him... which is a nice result. In a 3-bet, 3-way pot, on a flop like that, your focus should be on winning it, not keeping opponents in the hand. I would jam this flop in an attempt to get both my opponents to fold.

lil'
07-03-2003, 12:17 AM
I like everything. I assume you know the button well enough to know that he would 3 bet with hands besides A-A, K-K, and A-K.

RockLobster
07-03-2003, 07:58 PM
Hey JT--

Looks like I'm the minority... I'd open limp.

I'll often open limp in EP or even MP with A9s & A8s, KTs, QJs, QTs, and JTs. Am I crazy?

SoBeDude
07-03-2003, 08:23 PM
Hi Rock,

No need to let the blinds in cheap and catch a cheeze two pair on you.

open-raise decent hands.

-Scott

Joe Tall
07-03-2003, 08:23 PM
Well, I posted this to see who would do what with these type of hands, however there hasn't been much overall response as of late. I'd raise with most of those hands you have listed in MLP if all folded to me. Maybe this bump of the post will get some action.

Ed Miller
07-03-2003, 08:47 PM
Open-raising here is routine. That's why I didn't comment on it.

RockLobster
07-03-2003, 09:54 PM
Open-raising here is routine. That's why I didn't comment on it.

I can understand this in MLP or later... do you feel that this would be routine from MP or earlier?

RockLobster
07-03-2003, 09:58 PM
I'd raise with most of those hands you have listed in MLP if all folded to me.

I agree with MLP (um, I mean B3), but what about MP or EP (B4 - B8)? These seem like pretty easy limps to me, I wonder if I'm whacked?

Ed Miller
07-03-2003, 10:07 PM
My percentages with QJs from up front (UTG or UTG+1) are probably 10/55/25 fold/limp/raise.

First in from MP, I raise almost 100% of the time. I'm raising for value, a shot at stealing the blinds, and to make my hand less predictable when I raise. After limpers, I'm probably about 5/55/40 for my ratios. I now don't have a shot at stealing the blinds, so I don't raise as often... but I'd like the button, and a raise makes having that more likely.

Homer
07-03-2003, 10:16 PM
My percentages with QJs from up front (UTG or UTG+1) are probably 10/55/25 fold/limp/raise.

My percentages are approximately the same.

The remaining 10% of the time I throw my cards at the dealer while cursing him for the miserable luck he has given me. This is an image play that should be used only occasionally, to give indication to the other players that you are indeed "one of the fish...err guys".

-- Homer

Ed Miller
07-03-2003, 10:34 PM

RockLobster
07-03-2003, 10:44 PM
With my luck, I figured the other 10% was the floor ruling my hand dead or that someone else should have the pot, even if I never see their cards on showdown.

(refer to this thread (http://www.twoplustwo.com/forums/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=smallholdem&Number=285 885&page=&view=&sb=&o=) for the sad details)...

RockLobster
07-03-2003, 10:45 PM
Thanks for explaining your thoughts on this, makes sense to me...

baseball38
07-03-2003, 11:24 PM
Man I think you played it fine. I do agree with you though about trapping the CO on the flop. Congrats on the win.

baseball38 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif

Joe Tall
09-18-2003, 02:56 PM