PDA

View Full Version : Kiss of Death

jackdaniels
11-25-2005, 01:36 PM
Source (http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&pubid=968163964505&cid=113 2916511577&col=968705899037&call_page=TS_News&call _pageid=968332188492&call_pagepath=News/News)

From The Star in Toronto:

[ QUOTE ]
A fifteen-year-old Quebec girl with a severe allergy to peanuts has died after a kiss from her boyfriend.
According to the Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean Le Quotidien, the boyfriend had recently eaten peanut butter.

The girl was hospitalized for several days and died earlier this week.

The stricken girl was injected with adrenaline immediately after she grew ill, but it wasn't effective.

[/ QUOTE ]

HopeydaFish
11-25-2005, 01:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Source (http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&pubid=968163964505&cid=113 2916511577&col=968705899037&call_page=TS_News&call _pageid=968332188492&call_pagepath=News/News)

From The Star in Toronto:

[ QUOTE ]
A fifteen-year-old Quebec girl with a severe allergy to peanuts has died after a kiss from her boyfriend.
According to the Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean Le Quotidien, the boyfriend had recently eaten peanut butter.

The girl was hospitalized for several days and died earlier this week.

The stricken girl was injected with adrenaline immediately after she grew ill, but it wasn't effective.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm surprised she made it to 15.

MelK
11-25-2005, 01:38 PM
Another victim of love.

fyodor
11-25-2005, 01:40 PM
What is it with all these allergies? It used to be rare to run across someone with an allergy. Now I know fewer and fewer people who don't have one.

Out with a friend the other night and he is allergic to regular fish but shellfish he is ok with. I thought that was a weird one.

HopeydaFish
11-25-2005, 01:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What is it with all these allergies? It used to be rare to run across someone with an allergy. Now I know fewer and fewer people who don't have one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember reading somewhere that the prevalence of allergies is due to the fact that we no longer have as many parasites living in our bodies. I can't remember the exact explanation, but basically the massive allergic reactions people have to certain things is their bodies' misdirected reaction to a non-existent parasitic invader.

jackdaniels
11-25-2005, 01:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember reading somewhere that the prevalence of allergies is due to the fact that we no longer have as many parasites living in our bodies. I can't remember the exact explanation, but basically the massive allergic reactions people have to certain things is their bodies' misdirected reaction to a non-existent parasitic invader.

[/ QUOTE ]

I recently got an email at work from our boss about the "Scent Policy". Essentially, no more perfumes/after shaves allowed at work. Everyone has to be au-natural. This is after one of my (female) co-wrokers complained about geting headaches from the perfume (of another female co-worker). Why can't chicks be alergic to clothing or something?

HopeydaFish
11-25-2005, 01:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I recently got an email at work from our boss about the "Scent Policy". Essentially, no more perfumes/after shaves allowed at work. Everyone has to be au-natural.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty common. So many people have asthma these days, companies can't risk getting sued. I have pretty bad asthma and can't handle any chemical smells. It really sucks. If someone wears strong perfume or cologne around me I'm gagging uncontrollably. Luckily my office has a "no scents in the workplace" policy, so I've never had to mention this to my boss. People who have chemical sensitivities are generally treated like complainers or wackos.

jackdaniels
11-25-2005, 02:04 PM
I don't mind being sensitive to peoples "disabilities". But where do you draw the line? School kids are no longer allowed to bring peanut butter or anything made of peanuts for school lunch. What happens when someone becomes allergic to cotton? Will we all have to wear alternate fabrics because they can't handle it? There is a lot of "accomodating" going on here, I just wonder where this will lead in the long run.

JonPKibble
11-25-2005, 02:27 PM
What if kids become allergic to textbooks???

IndieMatty
11-25-2005, 02:30 PM
Allergies blow. I've had them real bad my entire life. Poor girl. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

TheBlueMonster
11-25-2005, 03:52 PM
what really sucks when you have an allergy to bananas and latex.
I was a camp counselor once and there was a girl who couldn't come in contact with either. Probably will hurt her sex life in the future.....

....and I'm talking about the bananas. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

11-25-2005, 03:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What if kids become allergic to textbooks???

[/ QUOTE ]

Check out the test scores for kids nowadays, I think they are already are!

HopeydaFish
11-25-2005, 04:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't mind being sensitive to peoples "disabilities". But where do you draw the line? School kids are no longer allowed to bring peanut butter or anything made of peanuts for school lunch. What happens when someone becomes allergic to cotton? Will we all have to wear alternate fabrics because they can't handle it? There is a lot of "accomodating" going on here, I just wonder where this will lead in the long run.

[/ QUOTE ]

The difference between a peanut allergy and most other allergies is that peanut allergies are more likely to be life threatening than other allergies. Peanut allergies are also relatively common, as allergies go. Also, the person suffering from the allergy doesn't need to consume the peanut -- sometimes it is enough for the person to get the oil on his/her skin. Kids have died after one child ate a peanut butter sandwich for lunch, handled modelling clay with peanut-oil covered hands, and then the allergic child handled the same modelling clay.

Banning peanuts in schools is *not* a huge accomodation for people to make. This is a life-threatening condition for some kids, and asking parents not to put other children's lives at risk through what they pack for their kids' lunches is not asking too much.