PDA

View Full Version : 10/25 NL Foxwoods

11-25-2005, 10:23 AM
Playing in the 10/25 no max buy-in at Foxwoods in the wee hours of Thanksgiving morning. Table is 6 handed at this point. Villain in question is TAG, not very tricky, but makes absurdly huge raises with either the nuts or top pair. For instance, on a preflop raised, four-way flop checked through 48Q5 rainbow board, he raised a $200 bet into a $650 pot on the turn to $1500 with just QJ (and lost to AQ and 55). But on an A25 board in a similar type hand, he over-raised AK's pot-sized bet and showed down 34hearts.

Stacks are deep, I'm covering everyone with around 9k, but the average stack size was around 4k, with maybe one short stack in there somewhere.

Hand:
I'm in the BB with Kh6h. Mad Russian straddles, MP min-raises to $100 (means nothing), Villain calls. I call, as does the straddle.

Flop: ($410)
KcJh8h
I lead out for $200. Russian and MP folds, Villain raises to $1100, leaving him about $2200 or so behind. I call. I think calling is better than pushing because I'm either way behind of KJ, K8, J8, or a set, and if I push I scare him away if he just has top pair. My problem here is I have no plan for the turn. I know I can check-raise any heart because if he does have a monster, he's the kind of player who will bet it regardless. But what do I do if it's a blank turn? Lead and call a raise (basically an all-in?) Check/fold if he bets big? If I'm not going to go all the way with the hand, should I have just folded to the flop-raise?

Turn ($2610): 2h
I check, he checks behind after some thinking. Now I know he just has top pair.

River ($2610):3h
Terrific. If he has AhK I'm losing. I lead for $800, with no real plan if he pushes, although I'm pretty sure he would have bet the turn again if he had the Ace of hearts.

The way the hand played out didn't sit well with me. Yes, if he has a monster he pays me off when I hit, so I'm getting implied odds. But it seems like there are about 6-8 combinations of monster hands for that flop (88, JJ, J8, K8), and 6 or so reasonable combinations of TP that he would raise the flop with. I KNOW he wouldn't raise with a draw on the flop. So 1/2 the time I'm getting implied odds to stack him when a heart falls and 1/2 the time he gets off easy if he just has top pair. But if a heart doesn't fall, he probably bets the turn with either set of hands and I'm stuck in a bloated pot with 9 outs (Excluding the 6 or K if he has J8). So barring the good results that a heart turned, should I have just folded to the flop raise?

Yes, I realize folding preflop and not playing Kh6h OOP would have made things infinitely easier, but I called, so deal with it. :-)

Edit: Fixed the river, it was the 3 of hearts. Although if we were playing with a fixed deck, and there were two 6 of hearts, this hand would be even more interesting.

kurosh
11-25-2005, 10:36 AM
Two 6h?

flawless_victory
11-25-2005, 10:51 AM
preflop, who cares.

flop, i dont mind that underbet, but once u look at that big raise, time to to push or fold.
you didnt mention whether youve seen him make flop raises like this w/ draws, but on this board there is a good chance of him having some kind of big draw that Kh6h has crushed. obviously, u want to get allin now if he has one of those hands.
[ QUOTE ]
and if I push I scare him away if he just has top pair

[/ QUOTE ]
wow... let me help u.
YOU WANT THIS.
if he has a big hand, i dont see how calling saves you money... you are going to check/fold the turn UI? thats horrible.

turn, bet it all. let him convince himself you are full of it... maybe he has 2pair/set and wont be able to fold knowing he has outs if behind.

river, hmmm. cant see how he could poss have u beat unless he checked the NF behind on fourth st (uncommon play), so id lead weak and hope he pays it off w/ something marginal or gets inspired and bluffs all in.

11-25-2005, 01:11 PM
Fold or raise all-in on the flop. I would raise allin 9/10 unless I have a very good read on villian. Calling does, as you say, leave you in a very poor position on the turn card if you miss. And calling is not an obtion if you ask me.

[ QUOTE ]
I think calling is better than pushing because I'm either way behind of KJ, K8, J8, or a set, and if I push I scare him away if he just has top pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly why we push here. There is 1710$ in the pot and we would love to pick this up with a draw right now! Moveing All-in here shows strength and he will throw away many hands. I doubt that he would raise this high with a set, but even if he has a set we would be a 30/70 dog and with the fold equity, I can live with being called some of the times where im behind. I believe that moveing all-in will be the best play in the long run. Calling sure isn't. And folding is for the player who doesnt like swings and believe he has an edge just playing made hands.