PDA

View Full Version : buying a pc. gaming capability needed

Voltron87
11-25-2005, 02:50 AM
I'm looking into buying a new desktop PC. Right now I have a Toshiba Qosimo laptop which I am very happy with, it has a 15 inch 1280 800 screen and some gaming power. I can run most 2004-5 games decently on low settings. For what I paid and needed when I bought it it has done great. Right now I am looking into buying a desktop + flat screen monitor that can play new games well. My budget is anywhere from 2-3K. I would like to spend 2K-2200 because I am skeptical of the diminishing returns of spending $$ on technology but I am flexible up to 3K and if 300$ will really make my computer much much better I will spend it.

What makers do you suggest? Is Dell the cheapest option? I won't build my own because that takes more time than it's worth for me plus I want to have someone else deal with the problems. So... if someone could list me some well thought of and reliable manufacturers to browse and come up with some quotes that would be great. When I find where I want to buy then I can start worrying about options.

krimson
11-25-2005, 11:20 AM
I think a good option in your case is finding a small local shop that allows you to customize your pc, and have them build it for you. You can usually find one with some 20-25 year old employee's who are in the know of how to build a good gaming machine for $2K.

I have found in the past that small local shops are good if you come across problems. Easy to get support from them, no hassles with mailing parts around, etc, etc.

11-25-2005, 01:59 PM
I think the local shop idea is good, but as a downfall, i think the markup you pay for the hardware is not worth it.

DeezNuts
11-25-2005, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I won't build my own because that takes more time than it's worth for me plus I want to have someone else deal with the problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you really are a gamer and are willing to spend that much money, you should at least learn how to install a video card and RAM. Those are the only two things you will need to continually upgrade to keep up with how crazy games are getting. It's very easy and will save you time(bringing it in someplace) and money in the future.

DN

Voltron87
11-25-2005, 06:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I won't build my own because that takes more time than it's worth for me plus I want to have someone else deal with the problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you really are a gamer and are willing to spend that much money, you should at least learn how to install a video card and RAM. Those are the only two things you will need to continually upgrade to keep up with how crazy games are getting. It's very easy and will save you time(bringing it in someplace) and money in the future.

DN

[/ QUOTE ]

cool, I will do that. I am computer saavy, so i could learn pretty quickly and im sure I could do it.

any online manufacturers to browse? is dell considered the best around in terms of price/reliability and upgrades? once i have a definite maker then i can start worrying about which vidcard options and stuff like that.

Terry
11-26-2005, 01:22 AM
Dell is cheap for a reason and their higher end machines are not even inexpensive. Reliability tends toward iffy. Michael Dell has been quoted as saying something like “Anybody who would want to open up his computer and change something is some sort of fringe group lunatic.” so Dell’s are notoriously difficult to upgrade.

Monarch Computer (http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv) is top rated with the tech savvy. egghead.com (egghead.com) is also good.

YourFoxyGrandma
11-26-2005, 01:24 AM
I've had 2 experiences with dell, both complete opposites of each other--customer service being either great or as horrible as one could imagine. That said, they're reliable machines for the most part. If you're computer saavy enough, dealing with their tech support shouldn't be a big problem anyway.

Alienware is another top manufacturer known mostly for gaming machines, but they can get pricey, especially with top of the line hardware.

As an aside, processor speed is vastly overrated when it comes to gaming; I'd definitely go with 64 bit architecture, but you definitely don't need the best of the best. Spending an extra $75 for another 200 MHz is a waste of money in most cases. Your RAM and video card should be your 2 top priorities, so keep that in mind when shopping around and comparing prices.

DeezNuts
11-26-2005, 07:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Monarch Computer (http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv) is top rated with the tech savvy. <a href="egghead.com" target="_blank"> egghead.com</a> is also good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I second Monarch Computers. Just bought one last week, top of the line. Bought my peripherals and vid card from Newegg.com. The total came to be around $1600+shipping w/o monitors.

Monarch will build and test it before shipping, so it takes a couple weeks, but you can get a great custom from there if you have a tech-savvy friend to help you with the specs.

DN

11-26-2005, 07:32 PM
I will 2nd Alienware.com

Here is a very solid model component wise (http://www.alienware.com/Configurator_Pages/area-51_7500.aspx)

There are a few changes I would suggest though:
-Switch to XP Professional
-Switch to the DVD Burner for an extra $60
-Speed difference is very noticable if you switch to the 74MB 10,000 RPM drive. If you need more space then this pick up the extra drive for $105
-Very highly suggest Power Protection. Cant go wrong investing money here, most technical problems in a desktop are caused from power outages/surges (a normal, everyday surge protector is NOT enough IMO).

Other 'Optional' considerations
-If sound is important to you, switch the sound card away from Integrated
-Go with Basic Mouse/Keyboard and buy these locally where you can test/feel them. These are a big personal preference item
-On sound again, very highly suggest Klipsch brand speakers

It should be noted that the main seperation between companies such as Dell and those such as Alienware is the BIG difference in component stability/integrety. Dell is cheap from using cheap parts that are prone to being less reliable and breaking down much sooner. Alienware (and a few other similar companies) have made a name for themselves from using top of the line components strictly for gaming/stability. They do cost a bit more, but I would be able to sleep much better at night.

Voltron87
11-26-2005, 08:33 PM
thanks a lot, i have been poking around alienwares site and they dont seem unreasonably expensive. I am most likely going to buy from them. as a big starting point, what processor is a good choice? pentium or AMD?

Blarg
11-26-2005, 09:59 PM
I bought an Alienware back when they were up and coming and their customer service was top flight. Since then, they have gotten tons of flack for poor customer service and poor quality. They are not the Alienware they used to be at all, apparently.

And -- they have always been expensive. I looked on their site the other day to get an idea of what certain levels of computer sold for, and their price was just astronomical. They were offering for around $1500 what I see for around $500 or even less sometimes.

If I were you I would go for a computer that uses a 64-bit AMD CPU, for future-proofing, as eventually computers will move that way. And the power is great. And I would get a computer that let you use SLI for your video cards -- basically, you put a video card in one slot and when you have the spare cash or desire, you can upgrade by putting an identical video card in a second spare slot. The second video card will work with the first one to create a single picture on your monitor, with each card doing half the work, for a very noticeable improvement in speed. This is a fantastic way to make your computer upgrade-friendly on graphics, which is the main thing you need for most types of gaming.

The AMD 64 bit chip will cover the CPU side, and the cheaper ones are even now highly upgradeable. For instance, you might start out with an Athlon XP 3200 chip, which has a 939 socket to slip the chip into. You can upgrade that all the way to a 4800 at this time, with more speeds probably to come.

By the time you feel a need to upgrade either CPU chip or to upgrade video by adding a second vid card into an SLI rig, the prices on both should have plunged. So your upgrade path will not only be easy, but cheap.

The only thing is, for a SLI rig(two vid cards in sync), you will want to be sure you do not get stuck with a weak power supply, so you definitely may need to go custom on that. Most rigs that I see testing two vid cards in review sites, or that I see recommended by good review sites, have power supplies of from 450 to 600 watts. Try to get a machine that starts that way so you don't have to mess around installing an upgraded power supply later; they can be fairly pricey to replace, and generics have a bad rep.