PDA

View Full Version : 2-4 KQ

11-25-2005, 01:15 AM
Villian is 18/7/0 over 45 hands

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (7 SB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 folds, SB calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.50 BB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.50 BB

Spartan1983
11-25-2005, 02:22 AM
Raise preflop. The rest is ok.

soweak.
11-25-2005, 02:45 AM
Raise or fold pre-flop. Raise or fold the turn as well.

HajiShirazu
11-25-2005, 03:32 AM
I always raise preflop but whatever. Lately I have been sucking when I get KQ out of position against some cold caller who never folds until the river. It's not as great as it seems.
Weird hand.
My read is that he either flopped the nuts or has a pocket underpair and was going to check-fold the flop, but then changed his mind. I like just calling down and not letting him get away from his worse hands while losing less if he has me beat. Well, actually, you don't lose less if you raise/fold to 3 bet on turn but you do lose your few outs if he 3 bets you with AK or AA.

11-25-2005, 08:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Raise preflop. The rest is ok.

[/ QUOTE ]

11-25-2005, 11:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Raise or fold the turn as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

It surprised me that she would raise preflop, check/call flop, and then donk the turn. For some reason this screamed JACK to me.

McGahee
11-25-2005, 11:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Raise or fold pre-flop. Raise or fold the turn as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

A call is better than a fold both PF and on the turn.

11-25-2005, 11:59 AM
I recall SSHE saying the difference between raising and calling KQo in early position is minor, i usually mix it up depending on the aggression at the table. Paying 3 bets to see a flop with an offsuit would kinda suck so the PF call is ok. I would raise the flop and think about folding if 3 bet or if SB led the turn. But what do I know.....

11-25-2005, 12:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I recall SSHE saying the difference between raising and calling KQo in early position is minor, i usually mix it up depending on the aggression at the table. Paying 3 bets to see a flop with an offsuit would kinda suck so the PF call is ok. I would raise the flop and think about folding if 3 bet or if SB led the turn. But what do I know.....

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't always raise KQ in early position, although I often do. This was one of those times where I didn't. As for raising the flop, I was the one who bet it.

Queens University....?

soweak.
11-25-2005, 01:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling pre-flop is going to result in a post flop nightmare. oftentimes we're out of position with a hand that does not play well multiway. I'd rather thin the field pre-flop then take the chance nobody else will limp behind me. you can also play less guessing games on later streets depending on how the SB acts to your EP raise.

[ QUOTE ]

It surprised me that she would raise preflop, check/call flop, and then donk the turn. For some reason this screamed JACK to me

[/ QUOTE ]

If her turn bet screams jack then why did you call down? At that point you're drawing to two outs and getting 4.5:1. What are you expecting to hit on the river if you think your opponent has a jack? Also if youthink your opponent is overly aggressive and may not have a jack then you most likely have the best hand. You opponent could donk QT or K /images/graemlins/diamond.gifT /images/graemlins/diamond.gif or KX /images/graemlins/diamond.gif or even X /images/graemlins/diamond.gifY /images/graemlins/diamond.gif.

This is a good example of WA/WB.

11-25-2005, 02:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling pre-flop is going to result in a post flop nightmare. oftentimes we're out of position with a hand that does not play well multiway. I'd rather thin the field pre-flop then take the chance nobody else will limp behind me. you can also play less guessing games on later streets depending on how the SB acts to your EP raise.

[ QUOTE ]

It surprised me that she would raise preflop, check/call flop, and then donk the turn. For some reason this screamed JACK to me

[/ QUOTE ]

If her turn bet screams jack then why did you call down? At that point you're drawing to two outs and getting 4.5:1. What are you expecting to hit on the river if you think your opponent has a jack? Also if youthink your opponent is overly aggressive and may not have a jack then you most likely have the best hand. You opponent could donk QT or K /images/graemlins/diamond.gifT /images/graemlins/diamond.gif or KX /images/graemlins/diamond.gif or even X /images/graemlins/diamond.gifY /images/graemlins/diamond.gif.

This is a good example of WA/WB.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this advice is terrible. The reason he called down was because he had a hand that was going to win a % of the time under 50. Limping KQo is fine. You are not going to 'thin the field' of better hands, you are only going to fold worse hands (not something you want).

soweak.
11-25-2005, 02:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

...You are not going to 'thin the field' of better hands, you are only going to fold worse hands (not something you want)...

[/ QUOTE ]

You just proved my case why this should be folded in EP. Raising is far superior to calling, but I am firm believer that unless the game is super loose you should be folding KQo in UTG and UTG+1 situations.

Advocating calling down in a situation where you are either dominated (against AK or JX) or dominating your opponent are always raise or fold. The original poster stated he thought the turn card smelled of jack, in which case he does not have proper pot odds to draw to two outs. If the original poster though the villan is capable of betting a draw, or an inferior K or other pair here, then he should be raising.

If that advice is terrible, then I guess that makes me a terrible player.

11-25-2005, 02:17 PM
KQo has been shown over tens of thousands of hands in many poker tracker databases to show a profit UTG. Regardless, this is such a small point I don't feel the need to debate it.

What is raising going to accomplish that limping does not? It is going to make hands like K10 that you want to call fold. It is going to make hands like AK three bet you. You are not going to fold hands like 99 / 10-10 that will make it tough for you post flop.

There are many occasions in limit hold'em where you may be beat but you should still show down. This is one of them. There has been so little action so far (raise preflop by opponent, bet flop by hero, bet turn by opponent) it is impossible to put your opponent on any hand with a reasonable degree of accuracy. Folding with such a strong hand is a big mistake and if you routinely make these folds you are giving up money.

Also, turn leads like this are rarely trips. Most opponents with trips would go for a turn check raise, tying hero to the hand.