PDA

View Full Version : 100 yards in Football vs Golf

adamstewart
11-25-2005, 01:13 AM
Ok, this is probably gonna sound stupid to some, but I know I'm not the only one who finds this odd ...

In golf, when I'm standing 100 yards from the green (a mere pitching wedge) .... it doesn't seem as nearly as long as a football field.

Furthermore, I find it hard to believe that any decent football player would have a hard time throwing a football this distance (yet I realize this is untrue).

Anyone else notice this?

Adam

Goodnews
11-25-2005, 01:14 AM
no, thats stupid

Isura
11-25-2005, 01:15 AM
This is surely going to start a new physics thread.

adamstewart
11-25-2005, 01:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
no, thats stupid

[/ QUOTE ]

As I said, I'm not the only one who notices this. I've had this same discussion with a number of different people at the 100 yard stake at the golf courses.

It just seems like the football field should be so much larger than 100 yards appears on a golf course.

Adam

young nut
11-25-2005, 01:18 AM
I never thought of this until now, but it does seem very odd. Even odder, the fact that a kicker should be able to kick the ball that distance, I mean its just a damn wedge, lob wedge at that.

NateDog
11-25-2005, 01:18 AM
You've obiously never played golf on a football field.

Matt24
11-25-2005, 01:23 AM
When you are at the 100 yard marker at a golf course, you are 100 yards from the center of the green, so that makes a bit of difference as the front of the green may only be 85-90 yards away. But maybe you are talking about being on the range and being 100 yds so I dont know. Also a football field is 120 yards counting the endzones, but at the same time, I agree with what you are saying and I've thought it many times.

Stuey
11-25-2005, 01:39 AM
Does the fact that when you view a football field you are normally in a semi-enclosed structure make a difference? Some are even indoors and I feel that can mess with our perspective.

Has anyone else here been to an indoor driving range? It makes you feel like you hit it much farther than outdoors if you ask me.

Evan
11-25-2005, 01:55 AM
This is not stupid. I've thought the same thing many times. I have no answer as to why it seems that way.

Even weirder, I've hit golf balls on a football field and it still seems to be further than the equivalent distance on a golf course.

celiboy
11-25-2005, 01:58 AM
LOL...I have always though this exact same thing, but never wanted to tell anyone in the effort not to appear to be a retard.

Weatherhead03
11-25-2005, 02:10 AM
Golf course yard markers are off a significant amount of the time.

Sponger15SB
11-25-2005, 02:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Even weirder, I've hit golf balls on a football field and it still seems to be further than the equivalent distance on a golf course.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it could be because you hit it downhill a good percentage of the time on a golf course, but its always flat on a football field, and your ball rolls further than a football...

duh mcduh

Evan
11-25-2005, 02:14 AM
the back of one end zone through the opposite uprights is perfect distance for a pitching wedge for me. When I standing over the shot on the football field it looked like there was no way I could make it. When I hit it it seemed like it flew forever. I know it doesn't make a lot of sense.

WackityWhiz
11-25-2005, 02:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone else here been to an indoor driving range? It makes you feel like you hit it much farther than outdoors if you ask me.

[/ QUOTE ]

very very true.

i'm a [censored] beast indoors!!!!!!

CallMeIshmael
11-25-2005, 02:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This is not stupid. I've thought the same thing many times. I have no answer as to why it seems that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

SossMan
11-25-2005, 02:37 AM
I thought the same thing until one time, when my friends and I were hammered, we tried playing a short par 3 w/ out clubs (throwing/rolling the ball). We had to get over a short pond to the green. I'm like, "no problem, i just don't want to throw it too far". I heaved it as far as I could, fuking up my shoulder in the process and it didn't even reach the front of the lake like 50 yards away.

eviljeff
11-25-2005, 02:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Golf course yard markers are off a significant amount of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

but whether they're too long or too short probably varies, so your idea of 100 yards should roughly be correct.

MonkeeMan
11-25-2005, 03:05 AM
Like most everywhere else, golf courses have been downsizing, so 100 yds. is really only 75 yds. Football can't do it because of the large investment in prefab hash marks.

Eurotrash
11-25-2005, 08:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeti
11-25-2005, 09:08 AM
I have never thought of this before. It is now boggling my mind.

Very true.

Prime Time
11-25-2005, 02:30 PM
This is also the distance of many Major league Base ball fences from home plate to the corners (300 ft).

I have thought about this more. You can hit a golf ball out of the park w/ a wedge from home plate.

SossMan
11-25-2005, 02:34 PM
F.P. Santangelo (a former major leager) is on the radio out here. He talks about teeing up drivers from home plate and launching them into the upper deck in Montreal before games.

edtost
11-25-2005, 02:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the back of one end zone through the opposite uprights is perfect distance for a pitching wedge for me. When I standing over the shot on the football field it looked like there was no way I could make it. When I hit it it seemed like it flew forever. I know it doesn't make a lot of sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

Big Limpin'
11-25-2005, 03:30 PM
Yes i agree that it is kind of a mindfcuk.
But im pretty sure i can throw a golfball farther than i can hit a football with a club.

Sponger15SB
11-25-2005, 03:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is also the distance of many Major league Base ball fences from home plate to the corners (300 ft).

I have thought about this more. You can hit a golf ball out of the park w/ a wedge from home plate.

[/ QUOTE ]

This one is weirder to me than a football field. Baseball look way longer to me, even from 1st to left field.

NutzyClutz
11-25-2005, 05:52 PM
Most parks are 330 feet to the corners, and angle out to about 370' in left/center right/center.

11-25-2005, 06:55 PM
If you really want to feel like a total puss, throw a golf ball as far as you can towards the green. You won't get it to go 1/2 the distance you think it should. If you want to make cash, pick a spot about 2/3rds of the way there (sandtrap, tree, bush, whatever) and bet your buddy, he can't throw past it.

LLL

BadBoyBenny
11-25-2005, 07:43 PM
It's partly because of the lines on the football field. Also because golf courses have fairways that are usually the same color and often have rolling features the distances on a golf course can look shorter than they are.