PDA

View Full Version : HDTV and an upconverter?

Hiding
11-25-2005, 12:20 AM
I am looking at buying the Samsung 61" DLP tomorrow($3150 at circuit city), it has a bunch of mail in rebates, one for the Who DVD set, a DVD-R and an "upconverter" Anyone know what an upconverter is? And why it would have a value of $150?

Also any last minute comments on the TV would be appreciated too.

Thanks

kenberman
11-25-2005, 12:26 AM
it probably upconverts standard definition to a better quality.

almost all HDTV's display standard TV WORSE than a regular ole standard TV currently doesdoes, which is the major drawback to buying an hdtv right now. an upconverter lessens this drawback.

is it worth $150? you would have to see the difference to decide...

fluxrad
11-25-2005, 12:27 AM
Usually, when talking about HD, upconverting means translating a standard definition source into high definition. For example, new DVD players are coming out with upconverting technology to play standard progressive scan DVD's at 720p.

In short, upconvert == goot.

whiskeytown
11-25-2005, 12:32 AM
worse only in the sense the flaws are more visible - it doesn't actually broadcast worse -

I do have an upconverter DVD - and it makes my DVD's better then a SD broadcast (I checked) but not as good as the HD broadcasts yet -

RB

Dominic
11-25-2005, 12:43 AM
so if i have an HDTV with DirecTV and a digital signal, I won't have to worry about broadcast programs looking muddy, like I would with a regular analogue cable box, correct?

kenberman
11-25-2005, 01:40 AM
no. most TV (even on directtv, comcast, etc) is still standard definition. analog is different than digital, but high def is different than standard def -these terms can be confusing