PDA

View Full Version : ATo Heads up on the flop...horribly misplayed?

Somekid
11-25-2005, 12:11 AM
Villian is 63/25/1.37 through 50 hands.

I felt a little lost here. Betting the flop is standard, and I have odds to call the raise. Then I check the turn and when he checks behind I figure he has nothing. When the 6 completes the flush I figure he could have been going for a free card but also that if I check the river he's almost guaranteed to bet. Is calling here fine?

Party Poker 3.00/6.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(5 handed)</font> link (http://www.darksun.lunarpages.com/poker/)

Preflop: Hero is CO with T/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: (5.33 SB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.67 BB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

River: (4.67 BB) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 6.67 BB.

jt1
11-25-2005, 12:21 AM
you can fold that river because it completes a lot of draws
In general, i hate calling with overs, but here you have a b/d draw and you want to see if this guy is free card raising, which turns out was the case.

adamstewart
11-25-2005, 01:41 AM
Here's the thing, when most opponents raise this flop in this situation, they either have a pair or a flush draw (maybe a straight draw).

Calling the flop raise correct imo, since not only do we decent odds to improve, but we also may have the best hand.

Checking the turn is the next best play - with the probable intent of folding to a bet here, especially at $3/$6 where outright bluffing is less likely.

However, this guy checks the turn through, indicating he's taking a free card for his draw and/or he's not overly confident in his pair. Accordingly, when the 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif falls on the river, this completes most likely draws.

Therefore, check/folding the river is likely best play here. As by now, most of the time he'll either have a completed draw or still has a pair (both of which beat us).

Note: people may often also raise this flop with overcards. But one has to wonder, if this guy has high cards, why didn't have 3-bet you preflop? Further, you're still beat by hands like AJ, AQ, AK anyway.

All in all, I don't think calling the river bet is going to win this hand more than the required 1 in 6.5 times.

Adam