PDA

View Full Version : OOT advice needed

zuluking
11-24-2005, 10:14 PM
I've obtained my 1st Dan (Black Belt) but do to recent events (too long to go into here) I'm having "issues" with my Shihan (Master). I'll be training in some form of Martial Arts the rest of my life...its the best thing that ever happened to me and I'm paid up through September. I will be moving on to another Dojo my question is this:

Should I move on now or wait until September?

11-24-2005, 10:22 PM
We need to know what the issues are between you and your master.

zuluking
11-24-2005, 10:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
We need to know what the issues are between you and your master.

[/ QUOTE ]

In a nutshell, I questioned his methods (privatly, not in the open). He chewed my a$$ off in his office, and ever since then, I've been shunned by him and a few of the Sensei's.

gunt
11-24-2005, 10:27 PM
you should check with your shidoshi

Allinlife
11-24-2005, 10:29 PM
what martial arts?

you should change your dojo asap...those type of teachers who behave like that to a student asking questions don't know jack and not worth learning from.

zuluking
11-24-2005, 10:29 PM
What the hell. To elaborate even further...

In a sparring class he pitted me against a 3rd degree Black Belt who proceeded to knock me out. I sustained a concussion and received a hairline fracture in my arm. The fracture prevents me from sparring for the next 3-6 months. When I complained in his office, thats when the $hit hit the fan.

zuluking
11-24-2005, 10:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what martial arts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Shotokan Karate.

zuluking
11-24-2005, 10:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Shihan is the final authority in this matter.

Talk2BigSteve
11-24-2005, 10:32 PM
I can give you advice about how to handle a master but it has nothing to do with martial arts /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Big Steve /images/graemlins/cool.gif

handsome
11-24-2005, 10:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, is Senzo Tanaka your shidoshi? If so, show us the Dim Mak.

miajag81
11-24-2005, 10:50 PM
What happened to your old sensei, the one you wanted to bang?

zuluking
11-24-2005, 10:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

She's giving me the cold shoulder now. Hasn't spoken to me in 2 weeks.

fluxrad
11-24-2005, 10:58 PM
Is the next year worth the money you paid?

That is to say, let's assume you're in for $1,000 for the next year. How much monetary value would you put on leaving and finding a better sensei? Maybe $500? So the total cost of leaving would be $1500 ($1000 at another dojo, plus the $1000 you're out, minus the $500 benefit you derive from leaving).

Now how much do you feel it costs you to stay? How much does your time and annoyance with your current sensei cost you? If it costs you $600 worth of aggrivation, then you're out $1600 ($1000 you paid, plus $600). So I'd leave. If it costs you $200 then you're only out $1200, and you should stay.

Only you can figure out how much it costs for either decision.

I know this sounds rather robotic, but it's actually a pretty decent technique. For me it's a lot like Dale Carnegie meets David Sklansky.

cdxx
11-24-2005, 11:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

She's giving me the cold shoulder now. Hasn't spoken to me in 2 weeks.

[/ QUOTE ]

her sensei friends probably showed her your post. you must find out if she has a blog.

edit : re the actual master situation, you should probably find out if you can switch schools. if you have that option and how much that costs, you'll be able to make a better decision.

zuluking
11-24-2005, 11:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
her sensei friends probably showed her your post. you must find out if she has a blog.

[/ QUOTE ]

Negative. The cold shoulder started the day after the arguement with Shihan.

utmt40
11-24-2005, 11:24 PM
Get the hell out while you can.

11-25-2005, 12:08 AM
Yeah I would leave as well, I wouldn't want a pissed off dojo after my ass

NateDog
11-25-2005, 01:00 AM
Try sport Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for a while. Most schools are like an open forum. Not too much political BS, and the art is incredible. I started training in a traditional art (Judo) and switched over to BJJ after about a year. Total breath of fresh air. Been at it for 4 years now, and may get my purple belt next year. (FWIW it took 2 years to get past white to blue, the grading/advacement system is pretty stringent).

ChipWrecked
11-25-2005, 01:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Negative. The cold shoulder started the day after the arguement with Shihan.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed. She is boning the Shihan, and he had your arm broken on purpose.

Sweep the leg!

Stuey
11-25-2005, 02:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What the hell. To elaborate even further...

In a sparring class he pitted me against a 3rd degree Black Belt who proceeded to knock me out. I sustained a concussion and received a hairline fracture in my arm. The fracture prevents me from sparring for the next 3-6 months. When I complained in his office, thats when the $hit hit the fan.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this the second time you have been knocked out recently? I recall you saying you got scribbled during the black belt test also.

You can't keep rattling your giblets like that man. I know what I'm talking about here. You must take 6 to 12 month to recover before you risk hitting your head again. It will become easier and easier to get a concussion if you keep this up. You become like one of those fainting goats and a loud sound will knock you the [censored] out.

Seriously be careful you must be able to continue training while not risking more head injuries. I really think it is important.

Al_Capone_Junior
11-25-2005, 01:41 PM
I chose my first dojo because I liked the sensei. I kept at it until I finally moved away.

When I got to my new location, the style was a little different, but basically it was the same stuff. I shopped around, not for dojos, but for senseis (the exact style wasn't that important to me, just the atmosphere of the dojo).

The first was was a real hardass who thought that broken bones and knockouts at the hands of a far more experienced fighter were "standard procedure." Most of his students were real badassess who should have learned a lot more about the true philosophy of martial arts, instead of just how to fight.

Another thought that while you should fight people who were better than you, that you shouldn't have to be subjected to unreasonable odds against you, unreasonable treatment, unreasonable physical danger, unreasonable physical stress or trauma, or anything at all unreasonable. Challenges, yes, but ridiculousness, no. It wasn't hard to choose. This guy's dojo totally kicked ass too.

Change NOW. You've earned the belt, it's yours. Search around for a new sensei and dojo. Any sensei that isn't willing to listen to an opinion or concern of a student is questionable as a sensei in the first place. My feeling is that martial arts are more about development of the whole person than just the physical skills of kicking someone's ass to make yourself feel like a big man.

al