PDA

View Full Version : Where the button goes at the end of tourneys

Prickly Pete
07-02-2003, 11:13 AM
This question arose in a recent home NLHE tourney. With 3 left, there is a button, SB & BB. Person on the button busts out. The button moves one to the left, to the previous SB. Since, I believe the button is the small blind when it's 2-handed, that would mean that the original SB gets to be SB twice in a row, while the original BB gets to be BB twice in a row.

BB complained and I didn't know how to respond, which brings me here. What's the standard protocol?

Thanks.

Kurn, son of Mogh
07-02-2003, 11:38 AM
Logic says the button should pass to the prior hand's BB, who becomes SB on the button, but just because it makes sense doesn't mean it's the rule.

Sarge85
07-02-2003, 12:39 PM
Button post BB also.

Greg (FossilMan)
07-02-2003, 01:18 PM
The answer is, don't figure out who has the button when you get down to heads-up. Figure out who should get which blind, and THEN give the button to the person who has the small blind.

Let's call the players #1, #2, and #3, who just had the SB, BB, and button, respectively, on the prior hand.

If #3 busts out, #2 just paid the big blind, and shouldn't have to pay it twice in a row. Thus, #2 is the small blind next hand, and #1 is the big blind. Therefore, #2 gets the button.

If #2 busts out, #3 should be the big blind, because he paid no blinds last hand. That leaves #1 to be the small blind, and therefore also the button.

Similarly, if #1 busts out, #3 should be the big blind, because he paid no blinds last hand. That leaves #2 to be the small blind, and therefore also the button.

BTW, in every room where the SB is also the button when heads-up, this is the ONLY way I've ever seen it done, and I am therefore pretty certain it is the correct way, so to speak. Of course, any room can make any rule they like, but this is the "standard" rule.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)