PDA

View Full Version : The next M. Night Shamylamylabadoobi movie

ClaytonN
11-24-2005, 07:51 PM
Saw a movie trailer on it, it's called "Lady in the Water". Stars Paul Giomatti (sic) as a hotel janitor guy who owns a house near the hotal pool, and one night he sees a mermaid (in the pool). Followed by a voiceover quote of Giamotti saying "How many of you are there?" or something to that extent.

Personally I don't think even an actor of Giamotti's caliber could carry another lame ass Shymalan script, though.

The Truth
11-24-2005, 07:54 PM
I like his movies, and I don't know why.

blake

Benal
11-24-2005, 08:00 PM
He was the director of Signs and The Villiage right? Signs was somewhat watchable...

The Truth
11-24-2005, 08:16 PM
6th sense as well.

blake

evil_twin
11-24-2005, 08:31 PM
Don't forget Unbreakable. His best film IMO.

Warik
11-24-2005, 08:58 PM
I dunno man.

His films are good as long as you don't see them more than once.

tdarko
11-24-2005, 09:38 PM
unbreakable was the only film i liked by him and i really liked it, sixth sense was pretty good. i don't have any clue how someone could even somewhat dislike signs or the village there should only be pure hatred for films that are that silly. haha aliens attacking a planet made up damn near only of water yet its their [censored] cryptonite...bahahahaha talk about war of the worlds crap!

phil_ivey_fan
11-24-2005, 10:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
unbreakable was the only film i liked by him and i really liked it, sixth sense was pretty good. i don't have any clue how someone could even somewhat dislike signs or the village there should only be pure hatred for films that are that silly. haha aliens attacking a planet made up damn near only of water yet its their [censored] cryptonite...bahahahaha talk about war of the worlds crap!

[/ QUOTE ]

nevertheless you'll be watching along with the rest of us if nothing more than just from pure curiosity. The guy is a weirdo so I'll admit I'm pretty psych'd to see what its all about... Summer 2006

tdarko
11-24-2005, 10:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
nevertheless you'll be watching along with the rest of us if nothing more than just from pure curiosity. The guy is a weirdo so I'll admit I'm pretty psych'd to see what its all about... Summer 2006

[/ QUOTE ]
ummm no. after signs, the village was demoted to blockbuster when i had a free rental from my rewards card (true story). his new one will be rented and the next one will be too until proven otherwise.

TheCroShow
11-25-2005, 03:05 AM
i saw the trailer for this movie the other night, i was thinking "hm..weird...paul giamatti...ho hum..boring, wow this looks like [censored]..." then i saw the title, "from m. night shymalan" i was sexually aroused after i saw that, i cannot wait to see this movie.

phil_ivey_fan
11-25-2005, 11:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i saw the trailer for this movie the other night, i was thinking "hm..weird...paul giamatti...ho hum..boring, wow this looks like [censored]..." then i saw the title, "from m. night shymalan" i was sexually aroused after i saw that, i cannot wait to see this movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

almost identical to my impression of the trailer. In fact until I saw the M. Night part, I was getting the feeling it was going to be a kiddie movie.

Clarkmeister
11-25-2005, 01:34 PM
Unbreakable and 6th Sense are fabulous movies. The other two are good. I will see anything he puts out, he is very very good at what he does.

Peter666
11-25-2005, 01:47 PM
Watching his movies has become boring now because I am just waiting for the inevitable shattering plot twist. "The Village" really pissed me off. I wanted monsters.

Paluka
11-25-2005, 02:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Watching his movies has become boring now because I am just waiting for the inevitable shattering plot twist. "The Village" really pissed me off. I wanted monsters.

[/ QUOTE ]

I pretty much agree. I think he is a great filmmaker, but I'm going to stop thinking that really soon if all he can do is a twist ending.

TheBlueMonster
11-25-2005, 02:09 PM
all his movies have something to do with water. What an auteur!

/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Lame.

The once and future king
11-25-2005, 02:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I dunno man.

His films are good as long as you don't see them once.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

astroglide
11-25-2005, 03:37 PM
i really enjoyed the village on the strength of the main characters and the fantastic thematic immersion. i didn't really care one way or another about the twist, i just think it's a great environmental movie.

Senor Cardgage
11-25-2005, 03:40 PM
The Sixth Sense was great, I really enjoyed Unbreakable, and Signs was very good up until the ending. He's a good writer and director; as long as he can make some films that are slightly less gimmicky, I'll love his work.

private joker
11-25-2005, 04:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i really enjoyed the village ... i just think it's a great political movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

Also, Lady in the Water isn't coming out until July 21, 2006. Therefore this will be the first of 38 threads on the film.

astroglide
11-25-2005, 07:57 PM
i didn't mean 'environmental' as in 'pro-environment'. i meant that it was immersive.

samjjones
11-25-2005, 11:25 PM
Actually, its not a mermaid, but a "water nymph". And Bryce Howard + Paul Giamatti = good.

captZEEbo1
11-25-2005, 11:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Stars Paul Giomatti (sic)

[/ QUOTE ]not sure if you care or not but "sic" is:
"Latin: thus; so (not a mistake and is to be read as it stands)" (acronymfinder.com) it's used if you are quoting a chump that says something wrong or spells something wrong and you want to show that YOU aren't the idiot and recognize that it's an error. I think you meant to say "(sp?)".

11-26-2005, 07:46 AM
Most people who don't like his movies don't understand movies. They're the demographic who's responsible for the "dumbing down" of America, where you only get to see special effects, action, and big-name movie stars. The running mantra behind these moviegoers is "I'm going to see a movie, why should I think?" M. Night's movies, which can fare as possibly hookie, are stimulating movies that challenge the viewer. Now everyone complains about The Village being so stupid, oh I thought it was a horror movie. But he brings out some interesting themes. Is it civilization that corrupts or is it man that is inherently born evil? He's as close as we get to a modern-day Hitchcock. He may never be as good as him, but at least he will bring originality to the theater.

Yeti
11-26-2005, 07:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Most people who don't like his movies don't understand movies. They're the demographic who's responsible for the "dumbing down" of America, where you only get to see special effects, action, and big-name movie stars. The running mantra behind these moviegoers is "I'm going to see a movie, why should I think?" M. Night's movies, which can fare as possibly hookie, are stimulating movies that challenge the viewer. Now everyone complains about The Village being so stupid, oh I thought it was a horror movie. But he brings out some interesting themes. Is it civilization that corrupts or is it man that is inherently born evil? He's as close as we get to a modern-day Hitchcock. He may never be as good as him, but at least he will bring originality to the theater.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please don't use the old 'oh well, you didn't like it, you mustn't have understood it' argument. It's nearly always used lazily and incorrectly.

PS. I really liked The Village.

whiskeytown
11-26-2005, 08:08 AM
he's been catching a lot of guff for some of his movies...

but I think he's one of the most innovative and creative directors out there - he loves throwing you surprises and tells stories that NO ONE else is telling -

I mean, come on....

I have a feeling he's not angling for the "Surprise Twist" on this one, though we may get one - (like Mermaids being flesh eating vampires - I could see that - LOL) - but I personally have really enjoyed every single one of his films.

Some guys just don't get it - some of us don't want to watch Rambo part IV or "Yet More 2 Fast 2 Furious - we want new and inventive stories, songs and movies (and OOT posts - LOL) - - we don't want to be spoonfed our entertainment - we want to be surprised and find things we didn't think we'd find at the end and walk out going "whoa".

And he goes out of his way to do this and out of his way to obscure the plot of the story. Know how when you see a trailer and you know immediately what you're dealing with and what it's about - with M. Night, you never get enough to be able to catagorize it - even right now, I don't know if his new film is going to be a fantasy tale or some creepy dark horror story waiting to surface.

And I like that, cause I know he can tell a good story and I WANT to be surprised with something new...

Never understood the M. Night haters - never understood it and I don't now.

thatpfunk
11-26-2005, 08:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, see, water killed the aliens. They were invading a planet where the most prevelant resource killed them. The basis of the movie made no sense. In fact, most of the movie couldn't even have happened since they would have been killed from the air or dew or whatever. It doesn't work, get it?

Wait, I'm the dumb one?

whiskeytown
11-26-2005, 08:20 AM
the water scene you're talking about is basically, what, 5 minutes of a dramatic ending of an ENTIRE MOVIE that covers what the human condition does when confronted with some incredible situations it's never seen before.

The ending was a little hokey maybe in it's melodrama....(I'm sure he felt he needed an action ending and couldn't leave it openended) - but the whole story overall - seeing Joaquin Phoenix freak when they see the first camera shot of a strange being - being as in the dark as the main characters as to what's going on and whether the creatures are good or evil - oh yah - that's classic -

It's a story of the family and human condition brought to extremes - it could have been a tidal wave, an earthquake, or whatever - but M. Night likes to push things a bit in the Stephen King direction...LOL.

It's a testament to his work and his fans that he can release trailers like this that don't really reveal what the movie's about and still get people there - they know he's a storyteller first and foremost and they'll get a good story and some great performances from the actors. It's a real treat, IMHO.

I have made the mistake in the past of waiting till DVD for his films - no more... Now I catch them in the theater right away.

RB

thatpfunk
11-26-2005, 08:31 AM
and it discredits the ENTIRE movie

there are plenty of movies that examine the human condition yet they don't have the biggest plot hole i have ever seen in a major motion picture.

it comes down to complete laziness as a screenwriter and i think it's pretty pathetic.

whiskeytown
11-26-2005, 08:33 AM
meh, I didn't feel like it destroyed the whole 2 hrs. I had just witnessed.

agree to disagree on this one, I guess -

RB

henrikrh
11-26-2005, 09:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't forget Unbreakable. His best film IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

the truth

The once and future king
11-26-2005, 11:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The poeple who like [censored] faces films are the poeple you describe but with pretensions. The think his films are some how different when in fact they are just more of the same hollywood pap.

Landon_McFly
11-26-2005, 04:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and it discredits the ENTIRE movie

there are plenty of movies that examine the human condition yet they don't have the biggest plot hole i have ever seen in a major motion picture.

it comes down to complete laziness as a screenwriter and i think it's pretty pathetic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even Michael Jordan shot a couple of airballs. No one is going to like every movie the guy makes. He's obviously held to such high standards after 6th sense and unbreakable. I think he did the best he could with signs BTW

Alobar
11-26-2005, 04:39 PM
lol, i love the title to your post

ClaytonN
11-26-2005, 04:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Even Michael Jordan shot a couple of airballs.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

wegs the wegs
11-26-2005, 04:59 PM
Adding my two cents...

6th Sense was great.
Unbreakable was good.
Signs was good.

The Village might go down as the worst movie I have ever seen. The plot had so many holes it was disgusting. I believe that Mr. Sham just tried to punch something out quickly, take the check, and move along. In the sense of movies this was script was simply unbelievable. It starts with “Lets have two people that are in on the secret talk late at night alone about the red marks on the wall debating if wolves did it when they already know who did it” then “Lets have a single person kill and skin every animal in the village without anyone noticing and then wrap it up with a guy saying that he will talk to the culprit" followed by "Hey lets let the retarded guy who's locked up in a house find the suit they keep under the floorboards, escape the village, and track down the blind girl in the forest." I thought that Joaquin Phoenix did an excellent job but this movie was garbage.

JihadOnTheRiver
11-26-2005, 09:09 PM
It doesn't matter how bad the script, or how weak the acting, he's still gonna wile out in the theater. $30 million release week, period.

pokerdirty
11-26-2005, 09:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
lol, i love the title to your post

[/ QUOTE ]

brettbrettr
11-27-2005, 12:31 PM
This one just finished filming in Philly. I know this because my brother (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1443303/) is in the movie. I'm not a huge fan of the director, but iti looks like a good cast...And, of course, my [censored] brother is in it which means everyone should see it.