PDA

View Full Version : maybe this will keep us safe

05-02-2002, 01:27 PM
http://www.alchemind.org/dll/gomes_release1.htm

'...The only thing consistent here is the government's astonishingly arrogant assertion that it has the power to determine which mind states and types of thinking are allowed and which it can prohibit or coerce." '

just another federal court ruling where defendents can be forcibly given psychotropic drugs. no big deal. soviet ideal, etc.

brad

05-02-2002, 02:45 PM
This is a disturbing development which I noticed in the news a while ago.

My thinking is that if the person was insane at the time of the crime then it is something like a hypocrisy to make them sane enough to stand trial at a later date for a crime committed while insane. However if they were not crazy at the time of the crime, but later developed psychiatric problems which would interfere with their standing trial, then perhaps forced medication so they can stand trial is not nearly so wrong as it would be in the first scenario.

05-02-2002, 04:08 PM
ultimate catch-22.

you cant be deprived of your liberty without a jury trial.

we need to deprive you of your liberty in order for you to be able to stand trial.

nothing new here. soviet style mental health facilities for dissidents is right around the corner.

brad

05-02-2002, 06:20 PM
Somehow I doubt that Soviet-style psychiatric hospitals for dissidents is anywhere close to occurring in the USA.

However the closest thing to what you describe is probably occurring in China today, where dissidents are imprisoned at hard labor. The UN, NATO and all free countries should jointly condemn, in the harshest terms, China's actual imprisoning of dissidents and other horrible human rights abuses such as slave labor and the oppression of the peace-loving Buddhist monks in Tibet. The world community should unite and show some balls and coerce China into curtailing its human rights abuses. That goes for some other countries too, but China is especially worthy of blame and correction because in many ways they are a relatively advanced nation in terms of technology, natural resources, and power, and they don't have to be doing these things.

05-02-2002, 08:30 PM
today we have preventitive detention.

TODAY WE HAVE PREVENTITIVE DETENTION.

for all intents and purposes people are just disappeared. (mostly all islamics after 9.11)

but as far as i am concerned the precedent has been set and if you look at the big picture and project 3-5 years out, its a total nightmare.

if you look at the infrastructure changes that have occurred since 20 years ago, you cant miss it. for example, now (today) communication between a lawyer and his client is no longer privileged (terrorism trumps it).

its like that all across the board. everything is being set up before the shot is fired, so to speak.

brad