PDA

View Full Version : tossing the best hand away

kelvin474
07-02-2003, 03:33 AM
playin micro limit on party.

At the river i have 4 clubs that didnt make a flush. I have got two pairs: sixes and deuces.

Two opponents: #1 showing 3 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 7 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 8 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 9 /forums/images/icons/club.gif and #2 A /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 9 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif T /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 7 /forums/images/icons/club.gif . I think #2 has been on a flush draw since 4th street. #2 bets the river, #1 raises. I muck the 2 small pair, and #2 had nothing, Ace high. #1 wins with a pair of 3s!! I was getting 6:1 to call 2 cold, but i didn't close the action. I'm not liking my hand at all if #2 re-raises.

Is this just unlucky that i tossed away a winner or am i a long term loser calling these and hoping my hand is good?

The

patrick dicaprio
07-02-2003, 09:00 AM
i dont think you should kill yourself over this one. you will lose a lot more money by calling two bets here than you will by folding. but you must remember that if it is heads up it is a different story.

is number 1 a bad player or a good player? that is the question that is interesting here.

Pat

Al Mirpuri
07-02-2003, 10:30 AM
#1 bluffed at it. #2 figured that out and rebluffed. You dropped. #1 called and got paid off. It happens all the time in three-way showdown scenarios. Together, they muscled you out. Microlimits are just one step up from play money poker. These jokers could have anything and they did! You should have called it down. Don't beat yourself up about this. Just don't let it happen again. However, do not use this experience and the reasoning presented to call on the end when all the prior action says you must be beat. It all boils down to judgement. Best Wishes.

Andy B
07-02-2003, 07:49 PM
Just don't let it happen again.

I can't agree with this. When someone raises on the river, two pair is usually in serious, serious trouble. This is especially true in small games. I wouldn't like calling with Aces-up here, let alone Sixes-up.

SittingBull
07-02-2003, 08:05 PM
away too.
Remember,if U do not surrender a certain % of winning hands,then U are a long-term loser. Keep tossing these medium pairs in 3-way action plays in similar situations. U WILL save more money than u will lose.
BTW,NOTE the two players as "bluffers" for future reference. They will tend to overplay their bluffs.
Good fold.
Hey,I remembered tossing away a full-house a few years ago on 6th Str. when I thought my opponent had a bigger house.
Well,he did have a house--but MINE was BIGGER! LOL!
I went crying all the way home but felt better the next day.LOL!
Happy Pokering, /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif
SittingBull

kelvin474
07-02-2003, 09:42 PM
I tend to agree with you on this. Its frustrating to have left that money on the table with a hand that would have won, but I can't see 66 22 holding up very often against that action.

patrick dicaprio
07-02-2003, 09:46 PM
i dont think i would ever have the strength to fold a full house. but when the time comes i am certain i will wish that i did. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Pat

kelvin474
07-02-2003, 10:17 PM
heads up against #2, I was going to call a bet. Also, in this situation, I was going to overcall if #1 had not raised.

#1 was a wildman, so even though he very well might have a worse hand than me, I thought I was quite likely trapped between a guy with a hand (#2, who actually had nothing) and a guy who thinks its fun to raise (#1).

Wombat6
07-06-2003, 10:33 AM
I cant help but think you made some sort of mistake along the way. Did you limp in behind the Ad ? what did you have on 3rd th street. on 4th? did you have an A>9 or str8 flush draw?

The fold on the end is fine if the pot wasnt exceptionally large.

I tend to call with many weakish 2 pr. hands at party for big pots because the play is just so damn wild and I dont want to soak up many bluff raise bullets but still want to get raised by weakness when I hold a med strong to strong hand.

Remember "Know thy opponent"

Wombat6

kelvin474
07-08-2003, 03:18 AM
I limped behind with 3 clubs headed by the Ace. Caught a 4th club on 4th street.