PDA

View Full Version : If Thanksgiving started in other countries

MelK
11-24-2005, 01:44 PM
If Thanksgiving started somewhere else, what would the traditional meal be composed of?

The baseline -- USA: Turkey, Cranberries, Pumpkin Pie

Some possibilities:

UK: Magpie, beets, Figgie Pudding

Australia: Kangaroo, warrugul greens, Poached Pears in Australian Shiraz

miajag81
11-24-2005, 01:45 PM
Ethiopia:

diebitter
11-24-2005, 01:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
UK: Magpie, beets, Figgie Pudding

[/ QUOTE ]
Normal sunday roast then.

JonPKibble
11-24-2005, 02:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ethiopia:

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

NutzyClutz
11-24-2005, 05:42 PM
In Entree, side dish, dessert format...

Switzerland: Mountain Goat, swiss cheese, yodels.
Sweden: Swedish fish, swedish meatballs, swedish fish

11-24-2005, 06:59 PM
Iceland:

Meats: Whale, Putrified Shark, Puffin (No, I am not kidding!)
Veggies: Hay
Dessert: Skyr (http://www.skyr.is/) Pie (Skyr rocks, it's like yogurt on crack!!!)

ChipWrecked
11-25-2005, 08:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ethiopia:

[/ QUOTE ]

Same thing Yoko Ono lives off of.

Dead Beatles.

daveymck
11-25-2005, 08:42 AM
You realise that Turkey etc is the traditional UK Christmas meal then and was probably what was nicked as the idea for thanksgiving.

Beer and Pizza
11-25-2005, 08:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You realise that Turkey etc is the traditional UK Christmas meal then and was probably what was nicked as the idea for thanksgiving.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wild turkeys, cranberries and pumpkins are native to the Americas. Yet you are saying that in 1621 it was already a traditional UK dinner?

Cranberries are a very localized product (southern New England bogs). OTOH, pumpkins were exported early to Europe and are mentioned in Shakespeare's "Merry Wives of Windsor."

diebitter
11-25-2005, 08:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Er, turkey is a new world bird. I think it was given to the pilgrims by Indians on their first thanksgiving. It is probably the other way around /images/graemlins/blush.gif

ChipWrecked
11-25-2005, 08:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Er, turkey is a new world bird. I think it was given to the pilgrims by Indians on their first thanksgiving. It is probably the other way around /images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Aye matey, and if ole Ben Franklin had had his way, an' not them Roman lovin' lubbers in Congress, the Turkey would be the National Bird of the States this very day, me lad.

Cancuk
11-25-2005, 08:49 AM
I'm pretty sure the British celebrate thanksgiving the same time we do (Canada). In October.
I could be wrong though.

ChipWrecked
11-25-2005, 08:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Read your Dickens. You limeys ate goose.

diebitter
11-25-2005, 08:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure the British celebrate thanksgiving the same time we do (Canada). In October.
I could be wrong though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh? We don't celebrate it. We're never thankful, just bloody-minded.

Beer and Pizza
11-25-2005, 08:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Eh? We don't celebrate it. We're never thankful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aren't you thankful to have unloaded being responsible for the support of Canada? After all, the last great British victory in Canada was Wayne taking Quebec City in 1759. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

diebitter
11-25-2005, 08:58 AM
No, old news.

Is the Queen still head of state or something in Canada?

MelK
11-25-2005, 09:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
No, old news.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, she is, but in name only. She appoints a Governor General at the recommendation of Canada's government, and he makes the few decisions that are left to the Head of State.

What ever happened to the food focus of this thread?

daveymck
11-25-2005, 09:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn you will be telling me Cocal Cola and Jack Daniels are american ideas next. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

MelK
11-25-2005, 09:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Damn you will be telling me Cocal Cola and Jack Daniels are american ideas next. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I find it funny that the guy who uses Jack Daniels as his user name is from Canada.

diebitter
11-25-2005, 09:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No, old news.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, she is, but in name only. She appoints a Governor General at the recommendation of Canada's government, and he makes the few decisions that are left to the Head of State.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. Seriously, do Canadians dig having a Queen?

I do actually (lots of Brits do, lots don't, lots don't care), if only cos it's only such a British thing, and because it's nice to have something symbolic that comes above the weaselly elected officials.

Isn't it about time she was just made Queen of Earth, anyway? We could do a darn sight worse /images/graemlins/smile.gif

daveymck
11-25-2005, 09:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No, old news.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I do actually (lots of Brits do, lots don't, lots don't care), if only cos it's only such a British thing, and because it's nice to have something symbolic that comes above the weaselly elected officials.

Isn't it about time she was just made Queen of Earth, anyway? We could do a darn sight worse /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

V would finally come true then the lizards in charge of the world.

11-25-2005, 09:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No, old news.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

V would finally come true then the lizards in charge of the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

And then we'd be eating humans for thanksgiving (I mean THEY would be eating humans...)

MelK
11-25-2005, 09:10 AM
Whats funny is that all the money has her face on it. You got to love countries that put the faces of people from other continents on their currency.

diebitter
11-25-2005, 09:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Whats funny is that all the money has her face on it. You got to love countries that put the faces of people from other continents on their currency.

[/ QUOTE ]

I want money with a lizard head on now.

Oh, and I think David Icke rocks too.

11-25-2005, 09:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/2186/v1zq.jpg

daveymck
11-25-2005, 09:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Now theres a thread foir you discussion of the life and times and beleifs of that idiot.

diebitter
11-25-2005, 09:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sooo tempted to modify this and take it as a new avatar /images/graemlins/smile.gif

11-25-2005, 09:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sooo tempted to modify this and take it as a new avatar /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I would be honored!

diebitter
11-25-2005, 09:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would be honored!

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, but I must honour the Fonz. That's the first time I've been really tempted though, if that's any use to you! Blarg, how about avataring up finally? Can't we tempt you?

11-25-2005, 09:30 AM
Sorry, but I must honour the Fonz. That's the first time I've been really tempted though, if that's any use to you! Blarg, how about avataring up finally? Can't we tempt you?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can still honor the Fonz, check out the hottie on the right!

http://img500.imageshack.us/img500/6274/fv3am.jpg

diebitter
11-25-2005, 09:38 AM
Thanks! Will use it, but maybe only a day or two...

Someone morphing David Icke or the Queen to the lizard would be an awesome avatar though! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif