PDA

View Full Version : Greg's Turkey Day interactive blind quiz

Greg J
11-24-2005, 01:41 PM
One thing that is great about SSHE is the hand quizzes. I am proud to say I now get every question, okay nearly every question, correct. (There are one or two that still trip me up I’ll admit.) One thing it does not have, however, is much on blind play, which becomes increasingly important in tighter and tougher games. I have long realized this was the weak point of my game, so yeah maybe this is self-serving to some extent. But if I have this issue I’m sure I’m not the only one. Anyway, here is a blind hand quiz.

But this won’t be any ordinary quiz, folks. I want this to be interactive. I would like to challenge everyone to come up with one question. Try and contrive a situation you think is borderline or difficult and pose it for consideration from the other posters.

Also, when you answer a question, don’t just say, “call” or “fold” or whatever. Give some justification. You don’t have to write an essay, but at least provide a sentence or two.

1) First hand at the table– you have observed a pretty tight table waiting for the blinds, but have no real reads yet. You are dealt A/images/graemlins/heart.gif 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif in the BB. UTG+2 open raises, folded to you.

2) The very next hand in the SB you get 5/images/graemlins/club.gif 8/images/graemlins/club.gif. Hijack (MP3 for the uninitiated) open limps, folded to you.

3) Loose table with mixed aggression: three loose passives limp, and a loose aggressive but thinking player raises on the button. You have 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif in the SB. BB is a reasonably good player who plays tight.

4) You are in the BB with A/images/graemlins/club.gif 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif. Four loose passive limp, and a loose aggressive player raises on the button. SB (loose passive) calls.

5) UTG, a tight aggressive players raises, you get 2 cold callers from loose and passive types. You are in the SB with 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif BB is loose and passive. (Does your answer change if you have 3 cold callers?)

6) Same situation as #5, only this time you have 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif. (Does your answer change if you have 3 cold callers?)

7) UTG+2 open raises. He is loose, aggressive, but thinking player. You get 2 cold callers and the SB calls (all looser players). You have 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif in the BB.

8) Same situation as #7, but this time you have T/images/graemlins/heart.gif T/images/graemlins/spade.gif.

9) You are in the SB with 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif 2/images/graemlins/club.gif. Hijack open limps, folded to you. BB is crazy and unpredictable LA player.

10) You are in the BB with 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif 8/images/graemlins/club.gif. Seven players limp (an assortment of muppets), the SB folds.

11) Same as #10, only the button (LAG) raises.

Oh, when responding please quote the questions. That makes it easier to see what you are refering to. Thanks.

milesdyson
11-24-2005, 02:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

1) First hand at the table– you have observed a pretty tight table waiting for the blinds, but have no real reads yet. You are dealt A/images/graemlins/heart.gif 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif in the BB. UTG+2 open raises, folded to you.

[/ QUOTE ]
call and play wa/wb with a flopped ace. c/r a 9, a flush draw, or a combo gutshot/overcard/bdfd flop, like 568 with a /images/graemlins/heart.gif. after this hand i leave the table.

[ QUOTE ]
2) The very next hand in the SB you get 5/images/graemlins/club.gif 8/images/graemlins/club.gif. Hijack (MP3 for the uninitiated) open limps, folded to you.

[/ QUOTE ]
i fold this. depending on how much bb raises, i will call hands like 87o and 65s.

[ QUOTE ]
3) Loose table with mixed aggression: three loose passives limp, and a loose aggressive but thinking player raises on the button. You have 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif in the SB. BB is a reasonably good player who plays tight.

[/ QUOTE ]
just call. bb will likely fold anyway, and you won't thin the field against the loose players. you will bloat the pot out of position with a pair of 9s. you have great position to either bet the flop when you hit a set or c/r the flop when you want to protect your hand.

[ QUOTE ]
4) You are in the BB with A/images/graemlins/club.gif 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif. Four loose passive limp, and a loose aggressive player raises on the button. SB (loose passive) calls.

[/ QUOTE ]
i fold this. AXo hands, in my experience, do not do well in raised pots. you will usually only get bets in postflop with the worst hand.

[ QUOTE ]
5) UTG, a tight aggressive players raises, you get 2 cold callers from loose and passive types. You are in the SB with 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif BB is loose and passive. (Does your answer change if you have 3 cold callers?)

[/ QUOTE ]
call. my answer becomes a happier call with 3 cold callers.

[ QUOTE ]
6) Same situation as #5, only this time you have 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif. (Does your answer change if you have 3 cold callers?)

[/ QUOTE ]
call again. flop a set, check raise the field, and profit immensely.

[ QUOTE ]
7) UTG+2 open raises. He is loose, aggressive, but thinking player. You get 2 cold callers and the SB calls (all looser players). You have 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif in the BB.

[/ QUOTE ]
i definitely call this getting 9:1. i call this with only one coldcaller from the bb (this would be 5.5:1).

[ QUOTE ]
8) Same situation as #7, but this time you have T/images/graemlins/heart.gif T/images/graemlins/spade.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]
now i make it three. this is similar to the 99 hand, but i now have position on at least one of these guys, and tens are of course, better than nines.

[ QUOTE ]
9) You are in the SB with 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif 2/images/graemlins/club.gif. Hijack open limps, folded to you. BB is crazy and unpredictable LA player.

[/ QUOTE ]
he's from LA? makes sense. i fold.

[ QUOTE ]
10) You are in the BB with 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif 8/images/graemlins/club.gif. Seven players limp (an assortment of muppets), the SB folds.

[/ QUOTE ]
raise. tie them to the pot for when you hit your set.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
make it 3 and hope they all call.

Koss
11-24-2005, 02:05 PM
It would be nice if you could make this a poll somewow, but here goes.

[ QUOTE ]

1) First hand at the table– you have observed a pretty tight table waiting for the blinds, but have no real reads yet. You are dealt A /images/graemlins/heart.gif 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif in the BB. UTG+2 open raises, folded to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) Fold. You're dominated 99% of the time and OOP. Not a good spot to be heads up.

[ QUOTE ]

2) The very next hand in the SB you get 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif. Hijack (MP3 for the uninitiated) open limps, folded to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

2) Fold. This is a weak hand that needs a big pot to be profitable. Not here.

[ QUOTE ]

3) Loose table with mixed aggression: three loose passives limp, and a loose aggressive but thinking player raises on the button. You have 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif in the SB. BB is a reasonably good player who plays tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

3) Call. You could be behind and a 3-bet might not force anyone out. This hand can easily be played for set value. I'd call with any pair here.

[ QUOTE ]

4) You are in the BB with A /images/graemlins/club.gif 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. Four loose passive limp, and a loose aggressive player raises on the button. SB (loose passive) calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

4) Fold. Multiway pot facing a raise and you have a weak Ace out of position. Nothing good about this hand.

[ QUOTE ]

5) UTG, a tight aggressive players raises, you get 2 cold callers from loose and passive types. You are in the SB with 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif BB is loose and passive. (Does your answer change if you have 3 cold callers?)

[/ QUOTE ]

5) This one is very close. Blind structure is important here. If it's 1/2 or 2/3 I call. 1/3 I fold.

[ QUOTE ]

6) Same situation as #5, only this time you have 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. (Does your answer change if you have 3 cold callers?)

[/ QUOTE ]

6) Call it.

[ QUOTE ]

7) UTG+2 open raises. He is loose, aggressive, but thinking player. You get 2 cold callers and the SB calls (all looser players). You have 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif in the BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

7) Call.

[ QUOTE ]

8) Same situation as #7, but this time you have T /images/graemlins/heart.gif T /images/graemlins/spade.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

8) 3-bet, but it's close.

[ QUOTE ]

9) You are in the SB with 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. Hijack open limps, folded to you. BB is crazy and unpredictable LA player.

[/ QUOTE ]

9) I would like a pretty good idea of how often the BB will raise. I probably call.

[ QUOTE ]

10) You are in the BB with 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif. Seven players limp (an assortment of muppets), the SB folds.

[/ QUOTE ]

10) Check. Not enough flops that 88 is going to like here. See a flop.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

11) Call, play it for set value.

shant
11-24-2005, 02:23 PM
I agree with the answers so far, except for the 99. I think that's an easy 3-bet. 99 is a huge hand against the LAG's range and you don't want to make it easy for the BB to come along. 3-bet and get it HU.

Koss
11-24-2005, 02:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree with the answers so far, except for the 99. I think that's an easy 3-bet. 99 is a huge hand against the LAG's range and you don't want to make it easy for the BB to come along. 3-bet and get it HU.

[/ QUOTE ]

You really think you can get this pot heads up? A 3-bet *might* force out 1 or 2 limpers. Plus you are OOP.

shant
11-24-2005, 02:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You really think you can get this pot heads up? A 3-bet *might* force out 1 or 2 limpers. Plus you are OOP.

[/ QUOTE ]
Haha, I'm sorry I thought this was a blind steal topic. I don't read so good.

POKhER
11-24-2005, 02:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Calling this, If an ace flops i guess its a WA/WB (KK-TT)/(AK-AT) respectively.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Limped, Well i'll complete in the SB. 5:1 right? (BB+Limp+SB paid = 5SB:1 Call)

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
BB will probably fold, if he Re-Raised we're unlucky and he must have a monster(OOP/3Betting).

If we miss the flop C/f,
If we hit out set Bet/Call(or Re-raise).
If we hit a flop like: 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif8/images/graemlins/club.gif 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif We can Check-Raise the PFR(Protectection, Depending on pot size though we may have to wait for turn)

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
6:1 with Ace+Junk I'm folding this, I dont like hitting an ace OOP vs Raiser with so many in the pot.

I'm a wimp /images/graemlins/blush.gif?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

2+2+2+2(bb prob calls)+.50(sb paid) = 8.50:1.50 I'll call and
Check/Raise if we flop a flush draw/OESD,
Check/Call if we flop a GutshotStraightDraw and whatever else.

3cold callers just gives me even better odd's so i'll be calling for sure then!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Call, with more callers betting odds/Implied so no it's still a call.

C/r Flop set, C/f missed.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

9:1 to call, Yep Limped!
Raise flush draw/OESD Etc.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Call again, Don't want to re-raise as position sucks.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Fold it, 22 and potentially raised = The suck.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow 7callers and we have a free roll, I'd call but a raise is sooo tempting(IMPLIED!)

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Call, They are all probably calling again anyway.

Aaron W.
11-24-2005, 02:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
call and play wa/wb with a flopped ace. c/r a 9, a flush draw, or a combo gutshot/overcard/bdfd flop, like 568 with a /images/graemlins/heart.gif. after this hand i leave the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Table selection at the micros is overrated. Besides, tight tables allow you to play a LAG game from mid-late and late position, which is lots of fun.

shant
11-24-2005, 02:57 PM
I think the first A9s hand is a fold.

POKhER
11-24-2005, 03:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the first A9s hand is a fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
Fold or call, i think it may be a small winner overtime though.

Why are you not keen to play it? Domination? Guess i'd be more likly to play depending on the guys PFR % (Higher = More likly)

shant
11-24-2005, 03:02 PM
I agree with jaxUp's post in this thread (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=4017311&an=0&page=0#Post 4017311).

milesdyson
11-24-2005, 03:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Table selection at the micros is overrated. Besides, tight tables allow you to play a LAG game from mid-late and late position, which is lots of fun.

[/ QUOTE ]
i'll take the easy profit.

this is a full ring table where UTG and UTG+1 folded, UTG+2 open raised, and no one coldcalled. i don't care if this (and the fact that we "observed a pretty tight table") is a fluke. with the mass of tables available, why wouldn't you take 14 seconds to go sit at another one?

Vote4Pedro
11-24-2005, 03:05 PM
I was just about to link everyone to that thread...I'm suprised to see that everyone agreed on folding yesterday, and calling today...

milesdyson
11-24-2005, 03:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was just about to link everyone to that thread...I'm suprised to see that everyone agreed on folding yesterday, and calling today...

[/ QUOTE ]
i never saw that thread /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

yeah it's close, but going up from A9s, we hit ATs and then AJs - when do we see a flop?

i'm really jaded from playing 6-max, and this is a full ring hand.

POKhER
11-24-2005, 03:08 PM
Yeah, Fair points.

As i say, Higher the PFR of the villan and i'll more likly call it.

its a marginal hand, i'd prob fold if i was uncomfortable/Dying for a pee. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

But i reckon calling could be a small profit, Wheter or not its worth the effort... hmm.

shant
11-24-2005, 03:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
i'll take the easy profit.

this is a full ring table where UTG and UTG+1 folded, UTG+2 open raised, and no one coldcalled. i don't care if this (and the fact that we "observed a pretty tight table") is a fluke. with the mass of tables available, why wouldn't you take 14 seconds to go sit at another one?

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a good thread (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=3952803&page=0&fpart=1&v c=1) about playing in tight games.

POKhER
11-24-2005, 03:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

yeah it's close, but going up from A9s, we hit ATs and then AJs - when do we see a flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you fold A9s to a raise in 6max? (I've just joined 6max /images/graemlins/blush.gif)

11-24-2005, 03:14 PM
1) First hand at the table– you have observed a pretty tight table waiting for the blinds, but have no real reads yet. You are dealt A 9 in the BB. UTG+2 open raises, folded to you.

I think calling here is a significant mistake. At a generic tight table his opening range is going to have you dominated a significant portion of the time here, and the only hand you are really beating is KQ.

2) The very next hand in the SB you get 5 8. Hijack (MP3 for the uninitiated) open limps, folded to you.

You have a hand with fairly little showdown value that will make a winning hand only rarely. The pot is short handed so you are not getting great pot or implied odds. I would muck

3) Loose table with mixed aggression: three loose passives limp, and a loose aggressive but thinking player raises on the button. You have 9 9 in the SB. BB is a reasonably good player who plays tight.

I would three bet and be happy for the opportunity. The limpers have announced that their hands aren't very good. This leads to some tricky spots post flop but overall your edge in equity makes this a three bet.

4) You are in the BB with A 5. Four loose passive limp, and a loose aggressive player raises on the button. SB (loose passive) calls.

This is one of the tough ones. I would muck, but I think calling is an option.

5) UTG, a tight aggressive players raises, you get 2 cold callers from loose and passive types. You are in the SB with 9 8 BB is loose and passive. (Does your answer change if you have 3 cold callers?)

I call quickly with three callers but I think I call with two as well. I have a tendency to play these hands too often so take my advice with a grain of salt but you have a fairly big, multi way pot and good position relative to the better to build a huge pot if you flop big.

6) Same situation as #5, only this time you have 5 5. (Does your answer change if you have 3 cold callers?)

This is an easy call for me. The pot is big, you are getting 3.5:1 immediately, with a likely 4:1 on your money. Given the huge size of the pot you will be able to make up the bets you need pretty quicky postflop.

7) UTG+2 open raises. He is loose, aggressive, but thinking player. You get 2 cold callers and the SB calls (all looser players). You have 6 5 in the BB.

This is an extremely easy call. You are getting 9:1 on your money with a hand that needs much less than that to be profitable. Since the pot is multiway you should get a decent amount of action if you flop big and can get away cheap if you miss.

8) Same situation as #7, but this time you have T T.

I would three bet here. The presence of the other players is attractive to me. I feel I have a large equity edge and the limpers, who have announced they have bad hands, make the three bet even more profitable.

9) You are in the SB with 2 2. Hijack open limps, folded to you. BB is crazy and unpredictable LA player.

I would call here instinctively. BB's craziness is both good and bad. His potential to raise preflop hurts us a little but the potential that he will go several bets postflop with sub par hands more than makes up for that and your implied odds in the small blind are doubled.

10) You are in the BB with 8 8. Seven players limp (an assortment of muppets), the SB folds.

I check, because there are so many flops I am going to not like, but I suspect this is a mistake and I should raise.

I like a three bet here, because you may get some limpers to fold (and I love dead money) as well it is unlikely that LAG has you dominated and you should have an equity edge against the field.

milesdyson
i've read that thread. i believe the point of it is more along these lines:

"you can't find a loose game, because there aren't any. the tights ones are still very profitable."

however, if you could choose a game based purely on vpip, would anyone choose the 25/5 game over the 40/5 game?

and i take back the A9s call from the big blind in a tight game - i would call it against myself in a 6-handed game though, as i raise ATo, ~A8s, KJo, KTs, QJs, 66+ from utg.

Koss
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you fold A9s to a raise in 6max? (I've just joined 6max /images/graemlins/blush.gif)

[/ QUOTE ]

Against a PFR% of 15 or higher, I'd call. Any lower and I'd probably fold

shant
11-24-2005, 03:17 PM
Oh of course. If the game is there it's an easy move.

Loose table > Tight table >>>> Not playing

POKhER
11-24-2005, 03:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Against a PFR% of 15 or higher, I'd call. Any lower and I'd probably fold

[/ QUOTE ]

You talking 10 max right?

Koss
11-24-2005, 03:24 PM
I was talking about an UTG raise in 6-max.

Greg J
11-24-2005, 03:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree with jaxUp's post in this thread (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=4017311&an=0&page=0#Post 4017311).

[/ QUOTE ]
This thread was where I got this hand from. Thanks for linking it.

DCWildcat
11-24-2005, 03:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1) I think calling here is a significant mistake. At a generic tight table his opening range is going to have you dominated a significant portion of the time here, and the only hand you are really beating is KQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if calling is a mistake, there's no way it could be a significant one. It's just one bet, preflop, with a strong hand with flush potential to boot.

Also, you MUST raise the 88 hand. We're missing tons of set value by not doing so. This is one of those decisions where a preflop decision can have a significant impact on the EV of the hand, which is generally not the case, relative to postflop play.

Aaron W.
11-24-2005, 04:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
however, if you could choose a game based purely on vpip, would anyone choose the 25/5 game over the 40/5 game?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I'm thinking long term with poker playing (becoming a better poker player), I'll take the 25/5 game and give up some .2 BB/100 of EV. If I want to play multi-table ABC poker, it's the 40/5 game and I'll turn my brain off for the next hour or so.

POKhER
11-24-2005, 04:45 PM
Hmm interesting, I usually fold but ill reraise or call ATs.

Just getting to grips, then im ditching this preflop chart /images/graemlins/grin.gif

need to learn what good points a hand needs(High card>Flush>Straight potential).

But i'm always rusty with when to re-raise and when to just call i.e. AT/ATs....

11-24-2005, 05:10 PM

fold. I think I'm dominated too often. I think I'd fold ATs also.

fold

If I think some of the passives might fold then I raise. Otherwise I just call.

ffold

fold (I have no idea when I should be playing this)

call

call

RR

fold

check, only because I don't want to get in a tough spot post-flop.

call

SlantNGo
11-24-2005, 05:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1) First hand at the table– you have observed a pretty tight table waiting for the blinds, but have no real reads yet. You are dealt A 9 in the BB. UTG+2 open raises, folded to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Call. You're getting 3.5 to 1 with a pretty good hand. There are lots of ways for you to win this hand.

[ QUOTE ]
2) The very next hand in the SB you get 5 8. Hijack (MP3 for the uninitiated) open limps, folded to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

2. Complete. You're suited and have some connectedness. Pure suited junk like 93s I would fold.

[ QUOTE ]
3) Loose table with mixed aggression: three loose passives limp, and a loose aggressive but thinking player raises on the button. You have 9 9 in the SB. BB is a reasonably good player who plays tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

3. Call, planning on seeing a multi-way flop and check-raising a favorable one. I don't like re-raising here because it would not get you heads-up, and you'd be out of position anyways.

[ QUOTE ]
4) You are in the BB with A 5. Four loose passive limp, and a loose aggressive player raises on the button. SB (loose passive) calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

4. Fold. You have junk and are probably dominated if you flop top pair.

[ QUOTE ]
5) UTG, a tight aggressive players raises, you get 2 cold callers from loose and passive types. You are in the SB with 9 8 BB is loose and passive. (Does your answer change if you have 3 cold callers?)

[/ QUOTE ]

5. Call. 2 cold callers is a borderline call, 3 is an easy call. You're getting 5:1 immediate odds and are in great position to pump a draw on the flop.

[ QUOTE ]
6) Same situation as #5, only this time you have 5 5. (Does your answer change if you have 3 cold callers?)

[/ QUOTE ]

6. Call. Implied odds will make up for what seems to be a slightly immediately unprofitable play. Again, with 3 cold-callers, it's an easy call.

[ QUOTE ]
7) UTG+2 open raises. He is loose, aggressive, but thinking player. You get 2 cold callers and the SB calls (all looser players). You have 6 5 in the BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

7. Call. Tremendous immediate odds with a suited connector.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

8. Call, planning on betting a favorable flop. At this point, a raise just bloats the pot. I don't think a 3-bet is bad, but I think our edge is small enough here to wait to see the flop first.

[ QUOTE ]
9) You are in the SB with 2 2. Hijack open limps, folded to you. BB is crazy and unpredictable LA player.

[/ QUOTE ]

9. Fold. You can't play for set value, and 22 isn't a good hand to be playing OOP vs. an unpredictable player.

[ QUOTE ]
10) You are in the BB with 8 8. Seven players limp (an assortment of muppets), the SB folds.

[/ QUOTE ]

10. Raise. With 7 limpers, we're probably doing well with 88. This pot is gonna be big on the flop anyways. By raising, we push an equity edge that we have now, and also give ourselves good odds to draw to our set if faced with a bet on the flop.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

11. Call. We're not going to isolate the LAG, so we're playing this mostly for set value. Also, we allow ourselves a chance to check/raise the flop and blow away the field on an especially favorable flop if we decide to continue unimproved.

11-24-2005, 08:45 PM
grunching....

probably fold cause its heads up so you dont have the flushdraw value?

i would most likely fold here as well, same reason as for hand 1, not enough value to go for the flush.

i think i am 3betting here, his hand range is pretty big and im fairly sure you will be able to limit the callers somewhat, at least being able to fold BB.
of course calling it you get get the set value which will take down a huge pot, yeah i think i call. aha i dont know. stupid quiz /images/graemlins/confused.gif (jk)

fold!

i call here, i think its big enough with implied odds. and no my answer doesnt change with 3, i still call.

nope its called either way

Call... totally standard

3bet for value.

this one is tough. with any weakness from BB im raising here. considering BB's stats i probably just complete here.

Edit: YALL DISREPECTIFIED THE DUCKS! I RAISE JUST CAUSE SO MANY PEOPLE SAY FOLD. IF BB WANTS TO 3BET GOOD FOR HIM I WILL FLOP QUADS! YARRR!

Rizzle for the vizzle!! (raise for value)

Cizzle for the sizzle!! (call for set)

DCWildcat
11-24-2005, 09:08 PM
I think not raising 88 is the most costly of all of these.

11-24-2005, 10:01 PM
I agree with Miles 100%.

Hands 2 and 9 are calls that I usually make incorrectly.
But I'm way too loose in the SB.

11-24-2005, 10:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Miles, can you explain the rationale for check-raising the flush draw in this situation? In weighing the odds King Yao advocates the same thing, and I don't get it. I mean, I do get it against someone I've played a lot of hands against, because it makes me harder to read etc. etc., but against an unknown I'm not sure what it accomplishes.

I haven't read the rest of the thread, so sorry if it's already been discussed.

11-24-2005, 10:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Haven't been at the table long enough to accurately gauge its tightness/lack thereof, so I'm treating UTG as not a LAG, but not a rock either. It's one bet with a medium suited ace - these are not bad cards by any stretch. I call.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
With only two opponents, I throw these cards back like they're covered in smegma.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
As a thinking player, Button could be raising a wide range of hands. I call instead of raising, hoping BB's chips will come along for the ride against the limpers' sooooted surprises and weak aces.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I hate weak aces and really don't want to have to call down with second-best. Fold-o.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I call this with two cold callers, I call it with 3 cold callers. I also hope it tilts TAG when my OESD hits on the river.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
With just the two, this is borderline, but if I flop a set no one will suspect and implied odds are my friend. Call.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
For one bet this is both an easy call and easy to get away from if the flop isn't great.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Raise - this could very well be the best hand at this point - if UTG+2 should cap and drive out the others, that's fine too.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Not enough action for the set I absolutely need to spike. If BB was Checky McPassive, this might change, though.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Checky McPassive, that's me. I'm guessing this is a value raise I'm missing.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
That makes it definitely just a call.

And a question from me...? How about this one I saw recently:

X5) You are in the BB with 9/images/graemlins/club.gif 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Folded to MP3, a TAG, who raises. CO folds and Button, a LAG of ages who has been playing back irrationally hard at MP3 (possibly tilt over blind-steal issues) 3-bets. SB folds.

11-24-2005, 11:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think not raising 88 is the most costly of all of these.

[/ QUOTE ]

11-24-2005, 11:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like more dicussion on this one. I pretty much stick to SSH recommendations when it comes to the blinds and multiway pots. I know it just a template but SSH says to fold suited connectors below KQs in tight games, and below JTs in loose games. If your pretty certain it won't be raised behind us, what other hands should we be playing in this spot with a certain number of callers. How about if we change the position of the raiser?

11-24-2005, 11:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like more dicussion on this one. I pretty much stick to SSH recommendations when it comes to the blinds and multiway pots. I know it just a template but SSH says to fold suited connectors below KQs in tight games, and below JTs in loose games. If your pretty certain it won't be raised behind us, what other hands should we be playing in this spot with a certain number of callers. How about if we change the position of the raiser?

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't a tight game. This is a tight raiser. It's the loosey goosey's in this hand that make it profitable. You have magic implied odds if you get a flop you like.

Guruman
11-25-2005, 10:11 AM
allright, I was busy yesterday but I've got a min today. I still get 20% of the SSHE questions wrong, but I'll go ahead and embarass myself here publicly as well.

--blind response--

[ QUOTE ]

1) First hand at the table– you have observed a pretty tight table waiting for the blinds, but have no real reads yet. You are dealt Ah 9h in the BB. UTG+2 open raises, folded to you.

[/ QUOTE ]
If this is a tight table I fold to an early raise with this hand due to potential domination and OOPidness. I'd call with 89s though. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

2) The very next hand in the SB you get 5c 8c. Hijack (MP3 for the uninitiated) open limps, folded to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I fold, but I'd raise with A8+ and any pocket pair.

[ QUOTE ]
3) Loose table with mixed aggression: three loose passives limp, and a loose aggressive but thinking player raises on the button. You have 9d 9h in the SB. BB is a reasonably good player who plays tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm getting 5/1.5 on this call, with an implied 7/1.5 if bb folds and loosies call. I call, since I believe I can make up the difference vs a couple of fish and a lag that I may be leading anyway. Position sucks here but if the flop comes low rags i can checkraise, and if it comes with a 9 I can bet/reraise. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

4) You are in the BB with Ac 5s. Four loose passive limp, and a loose aggressive player raises on the button. SB (loose passive) calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

I fold here. while I may have the lag beaten, I'm not confident in my ability to either
A)win UI, or
B)win without showing down.

[ QUOTE ]
5) UTG, a tight aggressive players raises, you get 2 cold callers from loose and passive types. You are in the SB with 9d 8d BB is loose and passive. (Does your answer change if you have 3 cold callers?)

[/ QUOTE ]

easy call for me. Even with just 4/1.5, there is no real potential of domination, good odds, and the flop plays itself. If I flop a fl or str draw, I check and call, getting great odds if the pfr bets and all call to me. If I flop a flukey two pair or trips, I can bet out and let pfr raise, blowing out the field. If I get an OESFD, I can checkraise and trap the field for two. It's the prescence of people who will pad my draws postflop that makes this call easy IMO

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this one's tougher, as I'd need to make up more bets postflop. three coldcallers gives me close enough odds to call.

[ QUOTE ]
7) UTG+2 open raises. He is loose, aggressive, but thinking player. You get 2 cold callers and the SB calls (all looser players). You have 6s 5s in the BB

[/ QUOTE ]

easy call getting 9-1. see my answer to 5 for game plan.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

with a hand as strong as TT I consider raising for value (though I probably dont make the raise in the heat of battle). I've got immediate odds to hit a set, and I've got a shot at winning UI.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd play this to the river HU with BB, but I can't do it with hijack in the hand. I fold here but raise HU. I can't think of a hand that I just call with hijack in, but I'll raise 77+, A9+, and KT+.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
easy raise for value on a set draw or overpair draw.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

now I'll just call, not trying to blow out the field.

milesdyson
11-25-2005, 02:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Miles, can you explain the rationale for check-raising the flush draw in this situation? In weighing the odds King Yao advocates the same thing, and I don't get it. I mean, I do get it against someone I've played a lot of hands against, because it makes me harder to read etc. etc., but against an unknown I'm not sure what it accomplishes.

I haven't read the rest of the thread, so sorry if it's already been discussed.

[/ QUOTE ]
we're not just check raising any flush draws - i did not make that clear. ie. on a T/images/graemlins/spade.gifJ/images/graemlins/heart.gifK/images/graemlins/heart.gif, the best line is to check call because we're not going going to be able to fold him out with a turn follow up bet.

the idea is that if he has a stronger ace than ours (or a hand with 6 outs like KQ), we want him to fold it unimproved on the turn. so, we check raise a T/images/graemlins/heart.gif8/images/graemlins/heart.gif2/images/graemlins/club.gif flop. he will have a hard time calling a turn lead (sometimes he may even fold the flop) if he doesn't improve his overcard hand. if he 3-bets us with an overpair, we still have 9 flush outs + 3 ace outs usually (since he can have JJ/QQ/KK 18 ways and AA only 3 ways). 12 outs heads up is not such a bad spot.

11-25-2005, 02:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
1) I think calling here is a significant mistake. At a generic tight table his opening range is going to have you dominated a significant portion of the time here, and the only hand you are really beating is KQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if calling is a mistake, there's no way it could be a significant one. It's just one bet, preflop, with a strong hand with flush potential to boot.

Also, you MUST raise the 88 hand. We're missing tons of set value by not doing so. This is one of those decisions where a preflop decision can have a significant impact on the EV of the hand, which is generally not the case, relative to postflop play.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's one bet preflop, but this sort of situation happens quite often, time and time again. So it's really a thousand bets preflop.

Hellmouth
12-09-2005, 11:53 AM
Grunch:

A: I think that I would reraise the pf and evaluate the texture of the board on the flop to see if it is worth continuing. I dont like that the A may be out kicked. I love the flush and two pair potential. I think reraising would allow us to take control of this hand since it is heads up. Otherwise fold if so inclinded. Never a call though.

Fold, the pot is too small.

TAG may be trying to isolate a loose passive or two. Since they are passive, I would Cold Call (I know its contraversial) since the passives will probably just call and not raise we will see the flop and evaluate from there. I like building the pot since the the 99 plays well in a big pot.

Fold: I dump hands like this. The A gets me in trouble too much.

A: I might play this against three cold callers. Probably not two.

A: I dont think I play this one either. Probably not even with three.

Call for one bet.

Call.

Call, we dont want to pay too much to see this pot but the read on BB says we might. I wouldn't pay on the button but half a bet seems like an ok risk here.

Raise. Take control of the pf action.

Fold.