PDA

View Full Version : is UB the place for a beginner?

checkmate36
11-24-2005, 01:33 PM
At the .05/.10 limit holdem full-table on UB you earn roughly 1 ulitmate point for every 20 hands played. Sometimes more, sometimes less hands. For every 10 ultimate points you get $1. (should equal 1 BB per ultimate point)

If a player were to be able to play break even poker they should still earn 5BB/100 if Im correct. I would think this would be a great place to start someone off at playing.

Thanks for any thoughts and I know it would take a long time to work off any type of bonus but at least it should help with the bleeding a new player goes through at first.

11-24-2005, 04:41 PM
Many sites give 14x big blind (7x big bet) in bonuses at the .5/1 level. It is pretty difficult to not win money with that sort of a bonus so long as you have the bankroll.

TCBSTEVE
11-24-2005, 11:09 PM
At UB you earn points by the amount of rake taken each hand. A rake of less than .25 earns one tenth of a point, equals one cent. Rake of .25 earns a quarter of a point or 2.5 cents. The most you can earn is 1/2 point per hand. I forget how much rake it takes to earn a half point. You don't have to contribute to the pot, just be dealt cards. You can also get rakeback at UB.

pzhon
11-25-2005, 01:52 AM
Yes, UB is a reasonable place to start, as are other sites with penny-ante games such as PokerStars and Paradise and the Prima network. You can also find penny-ante games in the Beginners section on Party in your first 45 days.

It is myopic to be excited about getting an extra 5 BB/100 at $0.05-$0.10. The amount of money per hour you can get is small, and the bonus is only returning your share of the rake or less. You should focus on learning to beat the game.

When you are trying to build a bankroll, bonuses can be very helpful. It doesn't take long to go from $200 to $2000, mainly through bonuses, when you can break even at $1-$2. However, to get to that point, you should be able to crush the penny-ante games without relying on any bonus to pad your win rate.

bernie
11-30-2005, 07:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
At the .05/.10 limit holdem full-table on UB you earn roughly 1 ulitmate point for every 20 hands played. Sometimes more, sometimes less hands. For every 10 ultimate points you get $1. (should equal 1 BB per ultimate point)

[/ QUOTE ]

Does this $1/10 UB points count in the higher games too? I haven't been there all month so I might've missed if this was new.

Fwiw...I started my current roll on the UB .01-.02 table a couple years ago. Psychologically, if you have to, just move the decimal point over 2 or 3 to the right if you need. One thing I really noticed was the effect of having no rake. I even bluffed a pot and got it once. Yes, the guy couldn't call 2 friggin' cents. /images/graemlins/grin.gif (I posted that hand awhile back)

[ QUOTE ]
I would think this would be a great place to start someone off at playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a great place to start. It doesn't really take that long to build a roll with persistent play. It's like getting paid, albeit not much, for playing play money.

b