PDA

View Full Version : Zeno Turns Pro

Zeno
07-02-2003, 02:52 AM
Ah - you thought Poker didn't you.

I am not that good and know it.

The small company I worked for is folding up for a time, maybe a long time (we may all reform as a “different company” later on depending on circumstances). Owner still has contracts going so I will work as a 1099 employee. Got a business license, state tax ID number, own health insurance etc (need to get business insurance still). Will have to pay own Social Security taxes plus Medicare taxes (15.3 % total, I think). I am officially “independent” as of today.

Through the existing contract, I have work through the summer. By fall something else will come up, I hope or I may take an extended vacation. My rate is a very modest $68.17 per hour on the existing contract. If I get/seek independent work my rate is a flat $75 per hour. 10% discount for limit poker players/ 20% discount for non-limit players, but Lawyers will be charged double. This is cheap, really; I'm worth much more.

Now you may ask, just what the F**K do you do that is worth $75 per hour? This is such a good question that I will refuse to answer it. My business license does say "Technical Consultant". So I can do anything, I guess. Wish me luck.

-Zeno

PS. Ray Zee qualifies for the special triple rate of - $225 per hour, but I will give a generous 25% discount on that cus he could beat me up so bad at poker, and he likes to fish, and he also has an arsenal in his home. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

PPS. Handgun owners get an additional 5% off. Lawyers qualify. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Also, on a serious note, any useful hints about self-employment would be greatly appreciated.

M2d
07-02-2003, 04:48 AM
"This is such a good question that I will refuse to answer it."

So you charge seventy bucks an hour and the person hiring you doesn't really know what you do? Congrats. you're truly a consultant!!

HDPM
07-02-2003, 09:27 AM
Well, I left the guaranteed check world of government employ a little over a year ago. I'm no expert and no great shakes on the business end of being out in the real world. Fortunately I'm in a situation where I don't have to worry excessively over the business details and have a partner who is honest. So the only thing I can say is to work on something I am still not good at. I am getting better. And it is to not gag, choke, look at your shoes, mutter, sputter, vomit, or laugh when you tell people what you charge. You gotta ask for the cash without apology. It is hard to do sometimes. But it gets easier when you find out that incompetent people charge more and get it. Your post shows you will have the normal reaction of beeing a little self conscious about fees. But it also shows your insticts are good by charging lawyers the clergy rate. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif GL.

Ray Zee
07-02-2003, 02:53 PM
ahhh, 75 an hour--- why you must be a plumber. that what he charges to get the crap out of the pipes. or maybe you mow the grass as thats the estimate i got for a company to mow some lawns.

really i hope you have great success as you have the qualifications.

for self employment word of mouth determines your future. if everyone is more than satisfied you will do fine. smile alot and say things that your customers can understand.

then advertise alot.

good luck my friend