PDA

View Full Version : strategy against the fish

gibs
07-02-2003, 02:40 AM
Just started playing today at ICP, and I cannot believe how bad the fish are. I had heard stories from other posters on this site, but I never imagined they'd be this bad. Anyways, my question is what is the best strategy to use against these mega fishies? Should you even go for top pair with good kicker? It seemed like whenever I had this I would get drawn out on (I know it's low limits, that happens, but it seemed to happen even more since there are usually at least seven seeing the flop and they're lible to have any two cards). So I'm wondering if it would be best to play mainly draw hands, since when you hit the fish will call no matter what. I know it sounds stupid to not go for top pair good kicker. I guess what I'm trying to ask is should I look more for draw type hands when I'm selecting my starting hands?

Also, does anybody know if the higher limits at ICP are any better? I'm trying to build up my bank roll so I can move up. It can be fun taking these fishies' money, but I need some competition, and I want to be able to use some strategy during a game. In these games I'm in now you hardly even have to think. You get a good hand and watch the fishies call. But these games can mess with your ego /forums/images/icons/smile.gif. Your confidence is sky high after you win a few big pots because the fish keep calling when they shouldn't. Then your confidence goes down as you get drawn out on and watch your bankroll go down. It can be like a rollercoaster. But I'm fine with it as long as I end up making money on the day (so far so good after one day /forums/images/icons/smile.gif).

SwordFish
07-02-2003, 03:10 AM
I was playing there today and you are right, they think any two cards are good enough to showdown. This tends to be bad for high unsuited cards as they are frequently drawn out on. High suited cards, suited connectors and pocket pairs seem to do best in these games, just be willing to lay them down if you don't hit the flop. When you do hit, don't slowplay, jam it for every bet/check-raise/raise you can get in, half the table will call you down to the end. The suck-outs don't hurt nearly as much when you are scooping 15-20 BB pots with your winners.

SF