PDA

View Full Version : minraising pocket pairs and suited connectors.. ?

11-24-2005, 01:04 PM
Here's something I've been trying to justify doing for a while.

At our local home game, we play $20 NL, .25/50 blinds. At a table of 8, it is very typical for 6-7 people to see a hand.

Typical preflop raise is to $1.50-$2, which people will respect and get out of the hand if they have absolute crap.

However, if I just bump it up an extra .50 to $1.00, almost every player will stay in for just a little more. I usually goad them into playing, "aww come on, everyone's in this one..." etc. If I do this, I can usually get all but one person to call the extra .50

Is this a good idea for times when I have heavy drawing hands like low-mid pocket pairs (set mining) and good suited connectors (65s)? Maybe even Axs?

Or should I still be playing these as cheaply as possible?

Tregan
11-24-2005, 01:23 PM
This is an idea I have toyed with also. The problem is this type of play becomes very transparent after a while, and you will have to mix it up sometimes by minraising your A/images/graemlins/club.gifA/images/graemlins/heart.gif as well as your 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. However, if the players are truly poor then they may not pick up on this. In that case, go ahead build some pots with drawing hands all you want, just make sure you have mastered the art of flopping good. :]