PDA

View Full Version : People are so dumb

Rotating Rabbit
11-24-2005, 12:54 PM
K there's this gameshow in the uk thats just started up called 'deal or no deal'; here's how it works:

There are 24 boxes boxes numbered 1 to 24. There is a person standing behind each box (the same people do it for 1 week I think, so 5 episodes). Inside each box, is a cheque for an amount of money, ranging at intervals from 0.01 to 250k (so exactly one of the boxes is worth 0.01, exactly one is worth 250k, and so on inbetween. Each day the amount in each box is assigned completely randomly, and until looking inside, nobody knows what is where.

The presenter chooses 1 person at random to come to the mic and 'choose' numbers, 5 at a time. I wont go into all the details but essentially he has to use 'strategy' to decide which box he wants to look in.

At some point, after some boxes have been eliminated (at his 'strategic choices' he has to choose between getting a random box or the average amount remaining.

The last few contestants have all had intricate plans for how theyre gonna choose the boxes. And the presenter eggs them on, and it looks like the audience is laughing at them rather than with them. The whole thing is ridiculous, no wonder boards like this exist.

The once and future king
11-24-2005, 01:32 PM
You on the other hand are not clever enough to understand a game show on TV.

The contestant chooses a Box intialy. There is a check in the box for anything from 1p to 250,000. There are several other boxes each of which will contain a sum of 1p to 250,000£ also. There is only one instance of each sum.

The contest can open several other boxes to determine the sum or worth of his box, e.g. If he opens a box and it contains 250K he knows his box isnt worth that amount.

After he has opened x amount of boxes he will have a better Idea of the sums left in play.

He will then be offered the chance to sell or deal his box to a "banker" or remove more boxes.
So for example if he has removed the box with the 1p in it the banker will give him a better deal for his box knowing it is worth more than 1p. The ultimate conudrum is reached with only 2 boxes remaining, 1 for 1p and 1 for 250K. The player will be offered around 10K for his box by the banker. He can either accept that or remove the last box and find out if his box is worth 1p or 250k winning said ammount. Hence the name of the show Deal or No deal.

Eurotrash
11-24-2005, 01:35 PM
it's funny you mention this. I was watching this exact show on a Spanish language-only type channel and couldn't for the life of me figure out what the hell was going on (save for the little bit of Spanish I remembered)

I'm glad I actually have some closure on how the hell this show works now.

Rotating Rabbit
11-24-2005, 02:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You on the other hand are not clever enough to understand a game show on TV.

The contestant chooses a Box intialy. There is a check in the box for anything from 1p to 250,000. There are several other boxes each of which will contain a sum of 1p to 250,000£ also. There is only one instance of each sum.

The contest can open several other boxes to determine the sum or worth of his box, e.g. If he opens a box and it contains 250K he knows his box isnt worth that amount.

After he has opened x amount of boxes he will have a better Idea of the sums left in play.

He will then be offered the chance to sell or deal his box to a "banker" or remove more boxes.
So for example if he has removed the box with the 1p in it the banker will give him a better deal for his box knowing it is worth more than 1p. The ultimate conudrum is reached with only 2 boxes remaining, 1 for 1p and 1 for 250K. The player will be offered around 10K for his box by the banker. He can either accept that or remove the last box and find out if his box is worth 1p or 250k winning said ammount. Hence the name of the show Deal or No deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah thats pretty much what i wrote, the 'random' box is his own. And how dumb would u be to take 10k over a 50:50 shot at 250k or nothing lol, i know 10k is a lot if u dont earn very much but surely nobody is that risk averse. Then again seeing the ppl on the programme maybe.

youtalkfunny
11-24-2005, 04:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And how dumb would u be to risk 10k over a 50:50 shot at...nothing when your family is poor.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's why game shows are so popular--for those moments when the viewer thinks he's so smart, and everyone else is so dumb.